Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Simon, I would love to have an app to view and add entries of my collection Keep up the good work.

Brian......

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Android first!
    I would vote for this too
    Me too! Bonus rep points if Android first.
    I have personal Windows 8 and work Blackberry. Is that points off?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I still have a flip phone with NO camera!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Simon, love the idea. I'm an I-phone owner and would use it. Would it be adaptable to I-pad?
    Yes. Whether it will have iPad specific features is TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Android first!
    I would vote for this too
    Me too! Bonus rep points if Android first.
    I have personal Windows 8 and work Blackberry. Is that points off?
    As stated in the 1st post, Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry versions are almost certainly not going to happen, it's just too much work for 1 person.

It's the equivalent of writing a Novel in German, then writing it again in Italian, ensuring the grammar and flow of the story are correct for a native speaker to read it, then doing it again in French and once more in Japanese...

I know there are members who would like to see Android first, but in all honesty it will slow me down. I can work MUCH quicker in iOS and iron out all the design and functionality on that platform and then have a good solid foundation to transpose it into Android.

I'm still considering the "write once, deploy many" approach to build the prototype and get user testing and feedback - this will be the fastest development route as it is the one I am most familiar with, but it will have limitations.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it!

Since some of the books have multiple states of the 1st/1st there should be some way to indicate this.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was kidding when asking for android first or simultaneously. If it's quicker, do the ios first, then android adaptation.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I was kidding when asking for android first or simultaneously. If it's quicker, do the ios first, then android adaptation.
    Ok - good.

Still interested in members ideas about pricing, how useful it would be, sources of pricing data, etc
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Still interested in members ideas about pricing, how useful it would be, sources of pricing data, etc
    I think pricing will be very useful. It helps with buying decisions and perhaps to "value" your collection.

For sources, I'd say initially:
    • eBay completed sales
    • Abe (but I think this will have to be for sale prices as I don't think you can see completed sales on Abe).
    • User generated (What do the 'experts' value the book at. Especially rarer items that you may not see too much for sale. Would require users to take the time to update pricing tables. For example, you may have your proof/ARC expert who could update a table with what they feel are fair current market prices.
    • The Collector? I don't know where/how Thomas determines his pricing data, but I find myself frequently looking at his site for an idea on what's a fair price.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I think pricing will be very useful. It helps with buying decisions and perhaps to "value" your collection.

For sources, I'd say initially:
    • eBay completed sales
    • Abe (but I think this will have to be for sale prices as I don't think you can see completed sales on Abe).
    • User generated (What do the 'experts' value the book at. Especially rarer items that you may not see too much for sale. Would require users to take the time to update pricing tables. For example, you may have your proof/ARC expert who could update a table with what they feel are fair current market prices.
    • The Collector? I don't know where/how Thomas determines his pricing data, but I find myself frequently looking at his site for an idea on what's a fair price.
    Agree 100%. This would be a great feature.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe Tomas updates his prices manually.
    The current for sale items he gets from eBay and Abe. I've been looking into this and both have web API's that can be interrogated.

If Tomas is reading this, I'd love to get his input on this.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to having prices as v2 functionality. I think getting the main database and personal collection capability should be the extent of V1

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to having prices as v2 functionality. I think getting the main database and personal collection capability should be the extent of V1
    I agree.

Gunslinger Apprentice Meagan J is on a distinguished road Meagan J's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is a GREAT idea! I have been needing something just like this. For me I would use this most while out checking second hand book stores, thrift stores, etc. So having information on different states of dust jackets or release info on variations would be SOO helpful. For example, if I'm in a book store and I find a Rose Madder first edition. I know that I already have a first edition but to have at my fingertips which variation I already have would be incredibly helpful. I, too have bought duplicates before and passed on books that I wished I had gotten because I just couldn't remember. So info on variations, dust jacket states (with pics for clarity), us & uk firsts would be appreciated. I have an iphone (I hate apple and steve jobs, but I get mine for free) so if you release this I will be snagging it up quickly. I don't know if you had this already, sorry if I missed it, but a small area for personal notes on each release might be nice. I know this is a big enough task as is, but having the option to add other authors that are popular with this crowd would be nice. Thank you!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Completed some more mockups tonight. First up is the splash screen. I have deliberately put ZERO effort into this as I'd like some designs from everyone else Feel free to change the app name to something better as well. Over to you! Bear in mind that the splash screen will need to be sizeable to cover a variety of screen sizes...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps, "Stephen King, My Collection"????? Looks great and now I want a "smart phone"!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the main list screen. By default it will show all books. Functionality:
    1. The top menu button will slide in a filter menu (see next screen).
    2. The check box shows you have a copy, a cross means you are missing this book in your collection and then we have an indicator if you have multiple copies (these icons will probably change)
    3. Obviously the list scrolls to see more books
    4. The bottom menu bar allows sorting (ascending or descending) currently I have by Title, By Year and by original price - more ideas for sorting appreciated.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This shows the result of pressing the top menu button - the menu slides in from the left.

Selecting an option allows the list to be filtered to books that match.
    If no filters are selected - all books appear in the list
    Filters are cumulative, so Selecting US Books, Limited Editions will show all US Limited Ediitons.
    The bottom Icons are further filters based on your books, so you can filter by signed and For Sale, etc. again these filters are cumulative with the others. ("Show me all UK Signed books that I have for sale")
    Note I have added an icon for "Remarqued"

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another option on the list screen. Sliding a specific row to the right will show the icons denoting your edition of the book. Slide left to display normally or tap the row to open the book detail.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am obviously quite the neophyte on this subject, but is info regarding "How to identify a First Edition" included? If not, that may be worthwhile. Especially, if you find yourself in a used book store. Pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered. "Remarques" is a really nice touch.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats it for tonight - heading for bed...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I am obviously quite the neophyte on this subject, but is info regarding "How to identify a First Edition" included? If not, that may be worthwhile. Especially, if you find yourself in a used book store. Pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered. "Remarques" is a really nice touch.
    Yes - See Post #7

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

hmm - just looking at those screenshots - the blue on the dark background looks bad - I'll probably make the icons white. Colour schemes are subject to change!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Yes - See Post #7
    Oops, very sorry. FWIW you may have inspired me to upgrade to a new phone. LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Simon. It's looking really sweet. Amazing work so far...

So you asked for some input on the splash screen design. I mocked this up this evening. Of course, just an idea, and open to hacking up or trashing... and the size is likely not correct but I can easily change to whatever size you need.

I had to squish the books a little to get them all in... but anyway, like I said, just an idea.

Edit: Of course, this limits the app to SK collecting only.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon, I really like how this is looking so far. Great work. It's inspiring me also to dump my DumbPhone and get a SmartPhone.

You may already have this implemented but I'd like to see the list search by books that are missing so if you're out looking you can quickly see by date or by title all the ones you still need.

Also, I see you spelled The Shining as The Shinning. Was that an honest mistake or a reference to The Simpsons?

Maybe include Other International Books as a category.

Edit: I tried to fit all the books.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Hey Simon. It's looking really sweet. Amazing work so far...

So you asked for some input on the splash screen design. I mocked this up this evening. Of course, just an idea, and open to hacking up or trashing... and the size is likely not correct but I can easily change to whatever size you need.

I had to squish the books a little to get them all in... but anyway, like I said, just an idea.

Edit: Of course, this limits the app to SK collecting only.

Firstly - Love the name, I am going with this until the unlikely event that someone produces something better! It also has the added advantage of NOT being used as the title for another book. I like the font too - (Please confirm the font name you used - looks like Hoefler with enlarged capitals and a modified K)

I DO like the idea of the covers as the background, however I foresee it causing some issues.

1. I will need a splash screen for a multitude of different devices, Android has a multitude of variations and with the advent of iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini, they all require scaling to different resolutions and this will distort the book images.
    2. It's a snapshot of 'Now' as new books come along, I would have to redo the image to include them (or not include them which will 'date' the app)

A better approach (IMHO) would be some sort of central image or logo. or a plain bordered image (The border can be enlarged or reduced depending on device).

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast