Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

What can I say? I'm a dinosaur.

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.
    Awesome! Please feel free to contribute!
    Okay, I'm going to consolidate and go through my notes again and I'll post here. The biggest thing I think, is loading up the entire Justin Woods Bibliography data if that's even a remote possibility. There's a number of reasons/benefits for that which I've written down. I'll try to post asap.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Really???

These days doctors are giving out cell phones to every newborn... lol
    Actually, if you live in Texas, every newborn gets a cell phone and a handgun.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I don't own a cell phone.

John
    John still has a party line (and I bet few people here know what that is/was).

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

John

It's not to late to ask Santa for one..........

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

John
    John still has a party line (and I bet few people here know what that is/was).
    Sometimes I wish those days would come back... The world has changed for sure...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    I do, but like Simon says I doubt mine will do any good.

How you make this thing go faster??????
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't you mean "the world has moved on"

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, changed in the fact that it moved on... sometimes I can't help by feel nostalgia and reminisce about the olden times, as Forrest Gump would say... or at least, I think he said that.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.
    Okay, I'm going to consolidate and go through my notes again and I'll post here. The biggest thing I think, is loading up the entire Justin Woods Bibliography data if that's even a remote possibility. There's a number of reasons/benefits for that which I've written down. I'll try to post asap.
    I've considered that (and to be honest a modern version of the SK Collector CD was my driving force for this, the personal collector side of it was meant to be an add-on) but I think the copyright issues would just bog the project down.
    This app is trying to avoid all that by using info that is public domain.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've considered that (and to be honest a modern version of the SK Collector CD was my driving force for this, the personal collector side of it was meant to be an add-on) but I think the copyright issues would just bog the project down.
    This app is trying to avoid all that by using info that is public domain.
    Okay, as long as there's some base 'bibliography'. I find myself consulting that book often to see what I still need in my collection. So if we had access to data like that, even if it's crowd sourced or public domain, would be nice to have it at our fingertips... Just a though of course... I know all this is open to discussion...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

What would you like to see?

Synopsis of the book?
    List of characters ?
    Links with other books?
    Something else?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I love it. Will the basic bibliographic info (ISBN, 1st/1st identifiers and such) be accessible from a built-in database or do we enter that info ourselves?

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Android first!
    I would vote for this too
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Android first!
    Me too! Bonus rep points if Android first.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I would be happy to create a basic bibliography (i.e., containing only editions that are relevant to collectors, not every appearance/obscure state known to man) and other lists of pertinent info like first edition identifiers. I like making lists.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just advertise TheDarkTower.org and you might be able to use our Catalog for reference. No since reinventing the wheel.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I would be happy to create a basic bibliography (i.e., containing only editions that are relevant to collectors, not every appearance/obscure state known to man) and other lists of pertinent info like first edition identifiers. I like making lists.
    I'm the same way. I have lists going back to when I was a teenager just starting my King collection. I recently found out that my dad's the same way and kept track of everything. I currently have a word document for what I call my Complete Stephen King Chronology and it's at over 13,500 words at the moment.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For the record, I bought my wife a "Samsung/Galaxy 6"? for Xmas with a "Tablet"? I figure if she doesn't pitch it out the window in three months I may get one after all. LOL LOL

P.S. My daughter picked it out and advised. She's also wrapping it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon I had a quick look over my notes and here's some items. I tried not to duplicate what you already show in your screenshots as many were the same as what I had down. It's all just stream of consciousness brainstorming so feel free to classify any of these as complete rubbish... Or maybe some are helpful.

Also, I use this app alot which should provide some ideas: BookBuddy
    1. Build a want list by checking off books from the database that you want.
    2. Users can list books they want to sell or trade.
    3. Match want lists against the 'want to sell/trade' list.
    4. Links to what's available on Abe/Ebay, etc. for each single book with pricing so don't have to manually search those sites.
    5. Seller/buyer feedback
    6. With an existing bibliographic database, it's easy to add books to your inventory so Title/ISBN lookup.
    7. In some cases I've seen ISBN's that don't accurately depict the actual book, like some reprints use the same ISBN as the original release.
    8. "My Collection" view with images
    9. Price guide based on past sales
    10. With the wealth of knowledge amongst collectors, ability for users to add/update core database, much like Wikipedia.
    11. Make your collection public or private. Public view means other users can browse through your collection.
    12. User commenting on single book pages for public collections.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I love it. Will the basic bibliographic info (ISBN, 1st/1st identifiers and such) be accessible from a built-in database or do we enter that info ourselves?
    All 'standard info' will be pre-populated to a local database (and available even when off line)
    All user entered data will also be stored and available offline

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Android first!
    Me too! Bonus rep points if Android first.
    hmm, I *could* use a different development tool and build them at the same time form a single code source. Without getting into too much technical detail, my company has a development tool that allows this. The downside is I might be limited in what I can achieve around charts for the pricing as well as other areas of getting the price info from a central source.

How important do members feel the current pricing functionality is? I could build a first prototype without this and get it out on both platforms much quicker if its not included to begin with.

Just advertise TheDarkTower.org and you might be able to use our Catalog for reference. No since reinventing the wheel.
    I will certainly reference and credit TDT.org if I use any of the info found on the Catalog, but I would prefer it is presented in the format shown above for ease of reference.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon I had a quick look over my notes and here's some items. I tried not to duplicate what you already show in your screenshots as many were the same as what I had down. It's all just stream of consciousness brainstorming so feel free to classify any of these as complete rubbish... Or maybe some are helpful.

Also, I use this app alot which should provide some ideas: BookBuddy
    1. Build a want list by checking off books from the database that you want.
    2. Users can list books they want to sell or trade.
    3. Match want lists against the 'want to sell/trade' list.
    4. Links to what's available on Abe/Ebay, etc. for each single book with pricing so don't have to manually search those sites.
    5. Seller/buyer feedback
    6. With an existing bibliographic database, it's easy to add books to your inventory so Title/ISBN lookup.
    7. In some cases I've seen ISBN's that don't accurately depict the actual book, like some reprints use the same ISBN as the original release.
    8. "My Collection" view with images
    9. Price guide based on past sales
    10. With the wealth of knowledge amongst collectors, ability for users to add/update core database, much like Wikipedia.
    11. Make your collection public or private. Public view means other users can browse through your collection.
    12. User commenting on single book pages for public collections.
    Paul, lots of good stuff there, but a lot of it is around sharing of the data that gets entered into the app. This requires some thought as it means a central repository of data somewhere. That then leads to hosting, maintenance, someone having to keep it up and running etc. My plan was to have ALL the books info stored in the app. As a new book is released I would do an app update for users to get that info.

Users will be free to add a non standard book to their collection (Rose Madder prototype cover for example) but that would remain local to them.

One other possibility is somehow sharing the info peer to peer, but I don't know how feasible that is.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon, I'm a total technophobe but I do have an iphone and this is a GREAT idea!!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Makes sense Simon. Most of what I had jotted down you seem to have already had covered. Either way, it's for sure an app I would use. I'm happy to offer my help in any areas if need be.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Simon, love the idea. I'm an I-phone owner and would use it. Would it be adaptable to I-pad?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast