Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default New project - but don't hold your breath!

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it's for collectors by a collector, so Calvin's Corner it is...

Some of you may know that I work in the field of mobility (no not wheelchairs, Jon - Mobile apps and Devices for Enterprise). I was once a developer but in later years I am now more of a Solutions Consultant and don't tend to get my hands 'dirty' anymore. I miss it a little though and in an effort to knock the rust of my skills before they seize up, I have been thinking for a while now about writing an app specifically designed at the SK collector. There's a few collector apps on the apps stores, but they are too generic (and frankly fugly) and not really geared to the King world.

SO...
    I've made a start on initial design, (Caveats and Screenshots to follow). Please, please, please feel free to comment (be kind ) about look and feel, but what I really want to hear about are peoples ideas about what YOU would like from such an app (and if there is any interest at all...)

The screens so far are based around info on a particular book, there will be other screens before this to select a specific book, search for a book, etc. I'll post more as I design them.

CAVEATS
    1. This is a vanity project. I get excited easily and bored even more so. There are NO guarantees this will ever become reality (although I *really* would like to do this well)

2. Initial app will be iOS (sorry Jerome). I work quicker in XCode and the tools are better. Once completed I do intend to create an Android version. (Windows Phone 8 is a pipe dream, Blackberry - don't even ask.. Bill - that Nokia 6210 ain't gettin it)

3. I'd like to include cloud sourcing in some manner (still thinking about that). It would be great to get the community to provide pricing input - love to hear some ideas

4. Cost - It will be released as a signed limited edition @$4000

5. (4) is a lie. If I can get it on the app store it will be free. I don't need donations or funding as I have all the tools and software to hand.

6. Reserved for a caveat I haven't thought of yet

7. Please re-read (1)
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds Purdy cool.
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the main detail screen after choosing a book. The idea is that it shows all info you need as a collector at a glance.

Top right is an icon showing that you have this book (green book mark) it also shows if you have multiple copies (in this case 2). Tapping this will quickly take you to a screen that will allow you to add details of a new copy of the same book (not designed yet). If you dont have th ebook, it will be grey with a '+' sign

Title, publisher, book cover and year are self explanatory.

Icons below are meant to show info on YOUR copy of the book - from left to right they represent:
    1. The book is up for sale
    2. It is Signed
    3. It has a dedication
    4. It is dated
    5. You are looking to upgrade it

You will be able to filter book based on this (and other) criteria on a main search screen (i.e Show me all books that are signed, or show me all books I am looking to upgrade)

Next line shows edition

the 'dot's indicate more screens - swipe left to view them

Menu bar at the bottom :
    My Books - shows this (and other related screens about your copies of this title)
    Identifiers - shows publisher info and 1st edition identifiers
    Pricing - (hopefully) this will somehow retrieve info on recent book sales
    More - place holder for other ideas
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Assume we have swiped left from the previous screen...

This is detail on the book - most things should be clear.

Edit button allows you to modify the entries (text boxes, drop down lists, etc) - screen TBD

Little paper clip icon is a button to view and add photo's of the specific book (Screen TBD)

Icons repeat of previous screen (ah should have mentioned, the icons on main screen will be a summary of all copies of the book - icons on this screen are for this particular copy)

Interested to hear other ideas as to what could be shown here...

EDIT: I have spelt Acquired incorrectly. That's it - forget the whole thing....

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it... nice and clean.

Great Start!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Same as above, but we have swiped left again to show details of the next copy we own. You will be able to keep swiping to see all copies.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the identifiers screen. again interested in seeing what other things people would like to see

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

This looks awesome!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That looks really cool. Nice job!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Swiping left again on the identifiers screen will show different images of the book. At least Cover, back and spine. I'd like to include inner end leaves as well.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

And pricing. This will be the most difficult to code as it relies on getting this info from somewhere. I have some initial ideas but will need to work on this part.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

OK - that's it for now. A happy couple of hours spent this afternoon. I will now sit back and await the criticism and much better ideas than I have had so far...

Seriously - please contribute, I'd love to hear everyones opinion. or

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks great and let us know what we can do to keep you from getting bored with this project.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This looks awesome and professional! Will there be a way to link photos of actual books/signature/etcetera to each record as images, or are you looking at including 'stock' images with app?
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To expand on "Goheat"'s comment, adding photos of the copies owned would be a nice addition. For example, stock image of US 1st/1st, swiping to the left to go through front/rear/spine, followed by UK 1st/1st also swiping to the left, But on top of that allowing the user to swipe up or down to see images they've added of their own copies. So on any frame (say US 1st cover) you could swipe up and see your own image of the copy you own.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

If I post the "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" gif again, I might break it.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it. Maybe include lines for signatures/remarques/limited/lettered, etc...

I also think a pic of the copyright page would be nice.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    This looks awesome and professional! Will there be a way to link photos of actual books/signature/etcetera to each record as images, or are you looking at including 'stock' images with app?
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    To expand on "Goheat"'s comment, adding photos of the copies owned would be a nice addition. For example, stock image of US 1st/1st, swiping to the left to go through front/rear/spine, followed by UK 1st/1st also swiping to the left, But on top of that allowing the user to swipe up or down to see images they've added of their own copies. So on any frame (say US 1st cover) you could swipe up and see your own image of the copy you own.
    Yes, see post #4.the paper clip button allows you to add as many of your own images as you like. The other pictures are intended to be 'stock' examples for reference if you don't have the book.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.
    Awesome! Please feel free to contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I like it. Maybe include lines for signatures/remarques/limited/lettered, etc...

I also think a pic of the copyright page would be nice.
    I intend to have a separate entry for each edition - matching the Catalogue on TDT.org
    Remarques is a good catch, I will add an icon for that.

Copyright picture is a great idea!

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be very interested in that app. It would be very useful to know which books I have ( I now use a spreadsheet with valuations). I have been know to occasionally buy a duplicate book by mistake! If you require photos of any books feel free to pop down to me as you are only a 45 minutes drive down the road.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Android first!

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Android first!
    What the big man said.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't own a cell phone.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I don't own a cell phone.

John
    Then stay out of the thread.

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Really???

These days doctors are giving out cell phones to every newborn... lol

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast