Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has the Carrie PS lettered edition?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    For the people that have one what would you compare it to in terms of quality? Is it nicer than say the IT Lettered or Dr. Sleep Lettered? I know they aren't the same but I just want to know what it's like for a book with such a high price tag.
    I think jonp is the only one to have a copy in hand here so far. You can click on his name in the 1st post. It will take you to his pics and thoughts.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Yeah, does that mean Z as in ZEEEEEEEE!
    No Jerome is correct. "Z" and "E".
    You bought two???
    They had 2 sales. I managed to buy another from the 2nd one. (I think they had 2 left over)
    They sold all of them in a few hours then a couple people backed out and 2 copies went up for sale a short time later.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

All the UK members have them "in hand". Including me.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

For the people that have one what would you compare it to in terms of quality? Is it nicer than say the IT Lettered or Dr. Sleep Lettered? I know they aren't the same but I just want to know what it's like for a book with such a high price tag.
    from the pictures I would have to say that the quality is no where near CD's productions.

To clarify - I stated my opinion based upon pictures. I do not own a copy nor do I ever plan on owning one.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Having both books at hand. Carrie is a very well produced book, feels more individual, more special and feels a more traditional hand produced book. Similar value to the The Gunslinger S/L, given the choice between the two I would always choose PS's Carrie, as The Gunslinger to me is nothing out of the ordinary. I must admit of all the lettered books I have CD's IT was my favourite. The huge scale of the book is impressive and also it is very well produced. Carrie and It are very different productions and I am finding it very difficult to choose now which is my favourite, but I am leaning towards It. Also, it's much cheaper too!

EDIT: believe me when I say it's very difficult to choose between the two, as with Dr Sleep I do not have my copy in hand so I cannot comment of that particular book.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    from the pictures I would have to say that the quality is no where near CD's productions.
    I would think it would be difficult to ascertain or draw conclusions about the quality of materials and construction from pictures. Would need to defer to those that have a copy to provide the most accurate feedback.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

My thinking is that the more you pay for an edition the more you should get for your money. From what I have seen of IT Lettered from CD looks like it is worth the price tag. I guess I am trying to figure out aside from the limited amount of copies what about this edition of Carrie makes it worth the price tag. Is it the materials? Bonus content? What is different about it from say a standard Lettered edition?

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    W
    I would think it would be difficult to ascertain or draw conclusions about the quality of materials and construction from pictures. Would need to defer to those that have a copy to provide the most accurate feedback.
    Edited my statement above.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

I disagree. For a start Stephen King's name isn't even positioned centrally on the front cover, which makes it look lop sided against the silhouette and title...

Secondly, the artwork inside the book is precariously glued in at the top edge. Not only does this look bad, but the artwork will become detached in no time at all...

IMHO I think Kingfan24 is spot on with his suggestion that it's not a patch on CD's Lettered Editions.

For the money, I would much sooner buy TWO Stephen King Lettered Editions from CD, for the price that this version cost...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

IMO, any King signed Lettered Edition of 26 copies will always be worth more than any 52 copy Lettered edition.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IMO, any King signed Lettered Edition of 26 copies will always be worth more than any 52 copy Lettered edition.
    By that rationale, The 15 copy Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre would be worth more than PS Publishing's 26 copy Lettered Edition of Carrie.

However, according to stephenkingcollector.com, the Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre is valued between $1,500 - $2,000, less than half the cost of PS Publishing's Carrie.

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/limited/danse.html

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    By that rationale, The 15 copy Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre would be worth more than PS Publishing's 26 copy Lettered Edition of Carrie.

However, according to stephenkingcollector.com, the Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre is valued between $1,500 - $2,000, less than half the cost of PS Publishing's Carrie.

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/limited/danse.html
    Thanks for backing me up - those were just a few of the issues I spotted.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's fair.

Honestly, the highest quality Lettered Edition I own isn't from PS or CD.

It's the Lettered Green Mile from SP. Absolutely best-in-class. In my humble opinion anyway.

It all boils down to what materials and quality components are important to the respective owner.

Good dialogue.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I, personally, don't have any lettereds in my collection. The first I remember hearing about was either Skeleton Crew or Dolan's Cadillac. When I saw the price I decided to draw the line for my collection. Plus, I didn't have that kind of money back then.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have IT and it really is an amazing Lettered production. From what I have seen of Carrie i would choose IT for sure BUT I have not seen or touched Carrie. Going by the pictures of course.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the 15 copy Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre is worth at least $10,000 and its is exactly the same as the numbered edition. You will never find one for sale. There are 2 Asbestos Firestarters on sale on Abe, and the quality and build of these is not great.

Materials and build quality do not matter when it comes to collecting King. The most expensive items are the least "fancy". The Plant and New Lieutenant's Rap are examples.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

I have a few PS Publishing traycased editions, including the "deluxe" Colorado Kid, so I'm well aware that high-end production quality isn't their forte. Therefore, I was very presently surprised by the overall presentation of the lettered Carrie. Yes, I have books by other publishers that are of an equal standard that cost 10 times less, and books of much higher quality that cost a third of the price, but Carrie is of a sufficiently high grade to sit comfortably alongside other King lettered editions.

For me, the production design was never going to wholly justify the cost. The two factors that persuaded me to buy it were the significance of the title, King's debut novel, and the tiny limitation.

I don't buy lettered editions of the CD titles because there is a numbered edition as well. I can't justify spending $2,000 more on what is essentially the same book, just with slightly better binding and a slightly better traycase. There's still, say, 800 signed copies available in total, a few of them just have a couple more bells and whistles. But with Carrie, these 26 copies are it, the only signed limited edition you can get.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Secondly, the artwork inside the book is precariously glued in at the top edge. Not only does this look bad, but the artwork will become detached in no time at all...
    That's not really impressive if you ask me...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It does not have to be impressive to be cool.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    I have a few PS Publishing traycased editions, including the "deluxe" Colorado Kid, so I'm well aware that high-end production quality isn't their forte. Therefore, I was very presently surprised by the overall presentation of the lettered Carrie. Yes, I have books by other publishers that are of an equal standard that cost 10 times less, and books of much higher quality that cost a third of the price, but Carrie is of a sufficiently high grade to sit comfortably alongside other King lettered editions.

For me, the production design was never going to wholly justify the cost. The two factors that persuaded me to buy it were the significance of the title, King's debut novel, and the tiny limitation.

I don't buy lettered editions of the CD titles because there is a numbered edition as well. I can't justify spending $2,000 more on what is essentially the same book, just with slightly better binding and a slightly better traycase. There's still, say, 800 signed copies available in total, a few of them just have a couple more bells and whistles. But with Carrie, these 26 copies are it, the only signed limited edition you can get.
    For me, the fact that it was published via a UK publisher diminishes the value somewhat. Sort of like how the UK Harry potters are worth much more than their U.S. counterparts. Just my opinion though.

And in all fairness, I could never justify spending 4,200 on one book. To me that seems outrageous.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

For me, the fact that it was published via a UK publisher diminishes the value somewhat. Sort of like how the UK Harry potters are worth much more than their U.S. counterparts. Just my opinion though.
    I don't have any kids, so I don't follow children's fiction, but I would assume that if the UK editions are more valuable it is because they were published first, not because they are from the author's home country.

And in all fairness, I could never justify spending 4,200 on one book. To me that seems outrageous.
    It just happened to be the right book at the right time for me. I was fortunate to have the money and it was a book I felt worthy of the cost. If it a had been a lesser book, such as, Thinner or one for which a limited edition was already available, like Skeleton Crew, I would have passed.

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Someone should post some pic of the Lettered Carrie and show all of the extras that come with it.
    From the two pics posted so for it doesn't look like a lot of anything........hope I am wrong for those that spent over $4000.00 for one.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LostAlivE View Post
    Someone should post some pic of the Lettered Carrie and show all of the extras that come with it.
    From the two pics posted so for it doesn't look like a lot of anything........hope I am wrong for those that spent over $4000.00 for one.
    I put quite a few photos up in my collection thread the other day on page 18.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I posted this in the PS Publishing thread this morning and I'll post it here again:

I like the way it looks (the glued-in artwork). It gives the book a certain vintage quality, IMO.

Also (again, IMO) it's getting a little old to equate the price of a book with its production values. Not one book (trade, numbered, lettered) is made of 'stuff' that is truly worth the asking price. No one here actually believes that a lettered IT is worth >$2,000 in materials, right? A numbered set of The Plant (not even talking about a lettered set here) is worth more than a lettered Carrie and I hear no one whining about that, even though they're just little softcover chapbooks. A lettered Danse Macabre goes for at least as much as a lettered IT and it is nothing more than a trade edition with a limitation page.

I'm not saying that production values shouldn't be taken into account - if that is what matters to you as a buyer/collector! - but print run, popularity, significance, 'mythology/lore' all play equally important parts.

Bottom line: if the owners of the lettered Carrie are happy with their books, the price was exactly right.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yes, the 15 copy Lettered Edition of Danse Macabre is worth at least $10,000 and its is exactly the same as the numbered edition. You will never find one for sale. There are 2 Asbestos Firestarters on sale on Abe, and the quality and build of these is not great.

Materials and build quality do not matter when it comes to collecting King. The most expensive items are the least "fancy". The Plant and New Lieutenant's Rap are examples.
    The 15-copy of Danse is not worth $10K...is that a typo?

Maybe $3K - if you could find a buyer. Nobody cares about that book, for the reason you mentioned - it's the same as the limited edition except with a letter.

As for "Carrie," I h-a-t-e tipped in artwork like that. It's penny-pinching and sets the book up for a flaw over time.

However, the price is not crazy - it is what it is. The problem with pricing/value for lettered editions is that there's no inherent value. It hasn't earned any sort of value over time, and the scarcity is artificial and deliberately contrived. Which can't be helped - that's the way the SK lettered market is now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast