Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Essential Christmas Viewing

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    This is my favorite time of the year...I love this time of year!
    NO WAY!

Also, I'll mention that the only reason I even bought A Christmas Story on dvd was to have back-up in case TBS ever stopped doing the 24 hour marathon.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I also try and do a marathon of all The Office Christmas episodes.
    It's funny you mention the Office Christmas Specials, Ricky: I've been thinking about re-watching the Christmas specials for the original series, as it's such an amazing ending. Plus David Brent's cover of If You Don't Know Me By Now is still hilarious!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a snowflake or a Santa in sight. Just Mr. Laurel & Mr. Hardy , Mr. James Finlayson & A LOT OF HYSTERICAL MAYHEM.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The Santa Clause 1 and 2 (3 doesn't exist)

The first is probably the best one but I actually like the 3rd one better than the 2nd one.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Arthur Christmas is really underrated, Ricky. Good one. It's too bad that one hasn't caught on yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I'll mention that the only reason I even bought A Christmas Story on dvd was to have back-up in case TBS ever stopped doing the 24 hour marathon.
    So you're like one of those doomsday preppers, but with Christmas movies.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    It's funny you mention the Office Christmas Specials, Ricky: I've been thinking about re-watching the Christmas specials for the original series, as it's such an amazing ending. Plus David Brent's cover of If You Don't Know Me By Now is still hilarious!
    I've never seen any of the original series but if the Christmas specials are good I might have to check it out. If you recommend one, I might have to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The first is probably the best one but I actually like the 3rd one better than the 2nd one.
    :O

There are some aspects about the 3rd one that I like, but it'll never be my favorite of the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Arthur Christmas is really underrated, Ricky. Good one. It's too bad that one hasn't caught on yet.
    I think I remember you bringing this up last year, too. It is a shame because it's hilarious. I just wish more Christmas films would be released in theaters every year. I can't even remember the last one that was released (anything Tyler Perry doesn't count).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Santa Clause 2 is easily the best...evil, Hitler like Santa makes it the best haha.

I've never got why people love A Christmas Story so much.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Santa Clause 2 is easily the best...evil, Hitler like Santa makes it the best haha.

I've never got why people love A Christmas Story so much.
    A Christmas Story captures that time period so well that I thought it was made in the 50's when I was a kid. My dad is from that era (more so the 60's) and says they nailed the time period perfect. There are just so many great scenes in that film that most people can identify with while growing up.

Also, what kid can't identify with wanting something for Christmas so much that it consumes your life. I can see why people think it's overrated now since it plays for 24 hours, but to me it's a classic and was a big part of my childhood.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes! I love it when he's drinking cocoa for the first time. "Whoa! What a rush!"

There are just so many great scenes in that film that most people can identify with while growing up.
    Exactly.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It was just never a part of my childhood. I was like 14 when I first heard of the movie and how it this massive holiday tradition. I watched it on TBS's marathon, don't remember enjoying it all that much and can't recall much about it. Think it was more of an American Phenomenon.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've never seen any of the original series but if the Christmas specials are good I might have to check it out. If you recommend one, I might have to track it down.
    It might not be your cup of tea: the humour is overall very different to the US series, and it's way more uncomfortable to watch at times. I've heard from a lot of people used to the US series that it's difficult to enjoy the UK series as much, at times. Also, for the Christmas specials, the two specials are pretty much the end of the series, so not necessarily something to jump on board with. Not that it would take long to catch up, as there's only 14 eps including the specials altogether, just something to keep in mind.

- Melike

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

So you're like one of those doomsday preppers, but with Christmas movies.
    Yes! You can never be too careful when it comes to Christmas related things.

I love Arthur Christmas.

Country
    Country Flag

Also, for the Christmas specials, the two specials are pretty much the end of the series, so not necessarily something to jump on board with.
    Yeah, I saw that when I was looking them up the other day. I was thinking it was like the US series where it's an episode in the middle of a season.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nah, our Christmas specials in general are very odd in that they're usually in between series (after all, 6 eps is WAY too short to call it a 'season') or even after a show has finished. (Only Fools & Horses was especially notable for this, and if there's one Christmas special I recommend to everyone, it's an episode called "Heroes & Villains". It has one of the greatest Batman moments ever. And I mean ever. ) What's also different to US Christmas specials is that they're usually broadcast on Christmas day, as well. (I was very shocked to find that US Christmas eps were broadcast sometimes weeks before the day itself. ) So Christmas TV is a big thing, over here. Hell, it's probably one of my favourite things about the day itself.

Oh, that reminds me: the annual Doctor Who Christmas special is on this year! Looking forward to that! It's funny that it's only since the series was brought back that they started doing Christmas specials for the series, now ten years on it just wouldn't feel like Christmas without one.

- Melike

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was just never a part of my childhood. I was like 14 when I first heard of the movie and how it this massive holiday tradition. I watched it on TBS's marathon, don't remember enjoying it all that much and can't recall much about it. Think it was more of an American Phenomenon.
    I've tried to watch it several times and always lose interest and change the channel. Just cannot get into it. That movie and Fantasia and Blade Runner always put me to sleep before they're half finished.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it's definitely a film that would be more near and dear to your heart if it was something you grew up with.

I think you're also right in saying it's somewhat of an American phenomenon. It certainly feels like a slice of American life during that time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

A Christmas Story (though I'm with Amanda in that I hold off watching it until the 24-hour marathon)
    Ok, I have to ask, how on earth do the two of you hold off on watching this until the 24 hour marathon?! I need to watch it multiple times leading up to the marathon, and then as many times during those 24 hours. Unfortunately, when it's on tv, I rarely get to watch it. Christmas day we're not in front of the tv, and they end it early, so when I get home it's no longer playing

Also I finally watched Love Actually. It's been on my list since last year, and with quite a few people saying it was one of their essentials I had to see it. I was kinda disappointed. It was ok, but nothing really spectacular. I think there were too many stories, that I didn't feel attached to any one of them, since we just got brief glances into their lives and barely got to know them. Also I didn't know that Rick Grimes was it, so I was kinda surprised to see him. And it's weird he doesn't look nearly as good all cleaned up
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Ok, I have to ask, how on earth do the two of you hold off on watching this until the 24 hour marathon?! I need to watch it multiple times leading up to the marathon, and then as many times during those 24 hours. Unfortunately, when it's on tv, I rarely get to watch it. Christmas day we're not in front of the tv, and they end it early, so when I get home it's no longer playing
    For me it's just the tradition of turning on the marathon on Christmas morning (and then turning it off 5 minutes later because my dad gets distracted while we're opening presents, then turning it back on after ). Plus, we usually don't have to go anywhere until late afternoon, so I'm usually able to catch it a few times.

Also, I don't understand all the love for Love Actually either. I agree that there were way too many stories. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and don't really need to see it again.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    A Christmas Story (though I'm with Amanda in that I hold off watching it until the 24-hour marathon)

Also I finally watched Love Actually. It's been on my list since last year, and with quite a few people saying it was one of their essentials I had to see it. I was kinda disappointed. It was ok, but nothing really spectacular. I think there were too many stories, that I didn't feel attached to any one of them, since we just got brief glances into their lives and barely got to know them. Also I didn't know that Rick Grimes was it, so I was kinda surprised to see him. And it's weird he doesn't look nearly as good all cleaned up
    I think it's like Ricky said; It's the tradition of turning it on Christmas day. There's something magical about it.
    But, I can't blame you for watching it before Christmas. I usually have the luxury of being home all day on Christmas, so I get to enjoy the marathon.
    Also, how depressing is it when you look at the clock to realize the marathon is almost over? I get so bummed out around 6 pm Christmas day.

And I have never seen Love Actually other than bits and pieces. And you're right, Rick Grimes doesn't look good all clean shaven.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I wish they would play it longer, maybe 48 hours is too long, but at least into the late hours of Christmas day. 8pm is too early to end it.

I agree, Heather. I think they should play it until midnight, to be honest.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just to be clear, are 24-hour marathons the only stuff that gets played on Christmas Day in America?

- Melike

Well, there's A Christmas Story 24 hour marathon on one station - they've been doing it for a looong time.
    I think that, within the past couple of years, a few stations have started to do marathons of certain movies. Other than that, I'm not sure what's on because I'm too busy watching A Christmas Story.

Guys, doesn't USA now play Elf all day and AMC does National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? Or am I confused?

The only other marathon that usually happens every year that I can think of is The Twilight Zone marathon that plays on New Years Eve/Day on SyFy. I know Elf and Christmas Vacation are always playing on tv randomly throughout the Christmas season, but I didn't think they were played all day on any station. But maybe I'm mistaken, I'll have to look into it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast