Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Stephen King Dust Jacket, Book, and Proof Variants

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Faded or rubbed IMO.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Faded or rubbed IMO.
    Thanks. Haven't ever seen one in this state before and I'm pretty sure you guys would have discovered any variants by now. Thought I'd double check all the same though.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Faded or rubbed IMO.
    Thanks. Haven't ever seen one in this state before and I'm pretty sure you guys would have discovered any variants by now. Thought I'd double check all the same though.
    The seller got back to me and it turns out that the flash from the camera caused the appearance. That indeed the red lettering is still in place.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Thanks for posting Jon. I updated the 1st post in the thread.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

anyone in the UK want to order me a couple of copies of the Waterstone Watch eds? Site's not letting me enter my data I the order form (doesn't recognize US phone numbers).
    I can paypal you the money for the books and any shipping costs... IM me if so.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yes, thank you very much, Jon! I love the purple variants of their DJs. PM sent +1.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just sent a PM Terry.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I would also be interested if someone could snag me a WH Smith copy of End of Watch

Country
    Country Flag

Asked this question over on the catalog thread for the US Insomnia. Didn't get a response so I thought I'd check here. Not quite being sure if this was ever resolved or not; I ran across what is supposedly a BCE edition on eBay that has all black boards and no price inside of the DJ. I have both the gray board and the red board copy, each with a price inside of the DJ and a full number line. If the red is considered the BCE, is this one with all black boards considered the revised edition that's mention on the catalog article page? It has the full number line as well. Sorry photos aren't that great as they were taken from what was sent to me by the seller. It seems there never was a definitive answer given to RF's question about the red board edition being considered the official BCE copy. Thanks!

Citizen of Gilead OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps it's been discussed before, but can anyone educate me on the value of those early Doubleday dust jackets in which a price sticker was affixed to the dust jacket instead of a printed price? What is their value compared to their printed price counterparts? Thanks for the help!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

AFAIK this was only done with Night Shift, and I think those were actually Book Club editions that were sold as regular trade editions when the first print run was depleted (?). I don't think they have much value.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere but I have no idea where...

I'm sure some of the veterans will chime in

Citizen of Gilead OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    AFAIK this was only done with Night Shift, and I think those were actually Book Club editions that were sold as regular trade editions when the first print run was depleted (?). I don't think they have much value.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed elsewhere but I have no idea where...

I'm sure some of the veterans will chime in
    Thanks for your insight. I've discovered it was also done with 'Salem's Lot. Posted a pic in the "Current Value" thread yesterday.

Country
    Country Flag

After reading a bit through the Collecting Questions thread, apparently board color can also decide between a BCE and a true 1st/1st. The bottom two photos of Insomnia are the 1st/1st priced DJs with the variant DJs. The top two are what would have to be considered BCE because of no priced DJ. They both do however, have full numberlines just like the 1st/1st. The black board edition I found on eBay and have never seen before. I was issued the red board edition via the SKBC without the priced DJ so I'm assuming it'd definitely be a BCE. Maybe the black board one is a later print for the BCE The CP is exactly the same in all four copies with the exception of the printer variant in one of the grey board copies. The red and black board copies both have R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia listed as the printer. Not sure, Paul if you want to update the BCE section with this info or not.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian, yes I will go ahead and update the 1st post with this.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Thanks Brian, yes I will go ahead and update the 1st post with this.
    Thank you, Sir!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pastedown colors?

I know this is a DJ thread, but the physical books should be Quarter bound in white cloth with grey boards having grey pastedowns or red boards with white pastedowns.
    If there is no discernible difference in DJ's that wrapped BCE's or trade 1st's, the book is what matters.
    To be a true 1st/1st the book must meet the criteria. The DJ that wraps the book must also meet the criteria.

A "true" BC edition could be some combination of correct and incorrect defining factors.

Country
    Country Flag

Pastedown colors?

I know this is a DJ thread, but the physical books should be Quarter bound in white cloth with grey boards having grey pastedowns or red boards with white pastedowns.
    If there is no discernible difference in DJ's that wrapped BCE's or trade 1st's, the book is what matters.
    To be a true 1st/1st the book must meet the criteria. The DJ that wraps the book must also meet the criteria.

A "true" BC edition could be some combination of correct and incorrect defining factors.
    Pastedown colors for the books I own are as you have stated above. The black board edition I have has white pastedowns. I know I continue to beat the hell of this dead horse, but is it your opinion, Jerome that the red board editions are true 1st as well? Maybe issued to book club members without a priced DJ to thereby make them BCEs? The photo in the catalog shows a red board copy with a priced DJ but as I've said before; that's an easy manipulation or "bastardization" as have seen it written elsewhere. Cell continues to bother me too but I guess with a different spine color and a larger shoe on the DJ; the combination of correct and incorrect defining factors as you've stated above, comes into play. I don't know. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you have all copies to cover all bases :-/.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The first editions are as stated in the "Catalog." In order to be a first edition and first printing - the most desirable trade edition - the book must have every component required of a 1st/1st.

The book club editions can have various components which are present in the 1st/1st. They will not have them all. e.g., If they had extra page blocks with full numberlines they used them, but the boards or pastedowns, endpapers, gutter codes, size, etc., will be different. If they had a bunch of dustjackets with the price printed on it they used them, or they could have been swapped. etc.

I collect the 1st/1st editions and a few BCE that have unique features. Some people collect everything. It's up to you.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The first editions are as stated in the "Catalog." In order to be a first edition and first printing - the most desirable trade edition - the book must have every component required of a 1st/1st.

The book club editions can have various components which are present in the 1st/1st. They will not have them all. e.g., If they had extra page blocks with full numberlines they used them, but the boards or pastedowns, endpapers, gutter codes, size, etc., will be different. If they had a bunch of dustjackets with the price printed on it they used them, or they could have been swapped. etc.

I collect the 1st/1st editions and a few BCE that have unique features. Some people collect everything. It's up to you.
    That was my train of though as well on them being unique. Thanks for the info guys!

Citizen of Gilead Cuppa is a jewel in the rough Cuppa is a jewel in the rough Cuppa is a jewel in the rough

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wanted to resurrect this thread as I often use it as a reference and have managed to obtain some of the UK variants thanks to the photos contained in here.

So a HUGE thank you for this reference.

Many of the photos posted are no longer accessible though due to the photobucket changes a while ago so wondered if we could refresh the thread with up to date photos if anyone has them?
    📚 My Collection 📚

🔎 Please help me find UK Proofs 🇬🇧 - specifically Institute, Fairy Tale, Eyes of the Dragon, Different Seasons, The Gunslinger, plus any others 🤪

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont know if it was mentionned in the previous messages. But I dont see it in the catalog about "Four past midnight"
    Although it seems hinted out on skcollector

Going through an old issue of the SKIN magazine, it says that there are 2 states of "Four past midnight" :

"The SK Stamp on the front bottom corner of the book was intended to have been stamped in gold. Unfortunately halfway during the process the machine ran out of ink. Consequently, a number of these books exists with the imprint of "SK" but not in gold ink. The gold SK is the first state and considered to be the first edition. (althought still not the true first edition... see our article in SKIN 1.8)"
    Although I guess I should go back and check the last info.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also this from another issue, regarding "Rose Madder"

"Even today publishers makes msitakes, as with the original dust jacker proof of Rose Madder. The original DJ proofs which have blank front and back flaps, had already been distributed when King notified Viking of his dissatisfaction with the font size of his name. Viking is presently reprinting this dj, but because of this error, the original proof will not become a collectible. The new versions of the dust jacket will be distributed april 10th"
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5