Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Dust Jacket, Book, and Proof Variants

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Paul.

John

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if this is more likely to be a production flaw? Maybe the stamping machine was not loaded with the foil and it just stamped it 'blank' ?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I wonder if this is more likely to be a production flaw? Maybe the stamping machine was not loaded with the foil and it just stamped it 'blank' ?
    Could be... I supposed there's no way of knowing for sure...

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

The Regulators 1st Edition CANADA VIKING / U.S.A. DUTTON.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The three different book variants for the US first of The Black House, 'Q', 'DC' and 'DH' codes (?printer codes)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Should those really be considered variants?
    Isnt it more like something related to the book printer?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Should those really be considered variants?
    Isnt it more like something related to the book printer?
    Interesting questions.

I guess it is all how you look at it. For me I think of variants as dust jackets that used different color text, or copy right pages that designate which printer printed the books, or the ‘bookstore’ vs. ‘Barnes and Noble’ references on Revival. So anything that is a purposeful change or variation. Everything else I think of as errors, for example the Four Past Midnight books that don’t have the gold ‘SK’ on the cover board, I think it is an error not a variation. Don’t get me wrong I love seeing both the variants and the errors. I guess someone could change the tread title to include ‘errors’.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd include the Black House variants. The idea behind starting this thread was to document all the variations of a book. Basically everything you see organized into sections on the main list shown in the first post of the thread. Printing errors, I hadn't accounted for but I'd like to see those here as well. I'd imagine there will be so few of these that it won't be an issue. I don't have a separate section for that in the list though. The Four Past Midnight ones for example, I've listed under "Book Variants".

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Four Past Midnight UK Proof DJ

I've been keeping the main list in the first post updated whenever I see a variant that isn't documented. I recently got this DJ and noticed it wasn't in the list. I've added it now.

This is a proof DJ of the 1st UK edition of Four Past Midnight. The differences are on the front and back flaps.

The one on the left is the proof.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wondering if books that have been recalled should be in this thread or not?

Last year, the french mass paperback of FULL DARK NO STARS, was published then quickly recalled because of some editorial problems (to be short, the text published wasnt the one supposed to be).
    Here are the two covers :

I am sure that there must be similar stories for other books, and even more interesting.
    Left to right : recalled, then published (I stll have the two versions)

And the published ebook version of the short story "Under the weather" (they didnt change the color)
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I've been keeping the main list in the first post updated whenever I see a variant that isn't documented. I recently got this DJ and noticed it wasn't in the list. I've added it now.

This is a proof DJ of the 1st UK edition of Four Past Midnight. The differences are on the front and back flaps.
    I'm guessing that the proof dj came on a copy of Twice The Power. Is that right?

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I'm guessing that the proof dj came on a copy of Twice The Power. Is that right?
    Mine came folded in a Hodder promo pack advertising Four Past Midnight.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

Yes, that's where it comes from. It's included in the promo pack.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Wondering if books that have been recalled should be in this thread or not?
    Sure, I suppose it's fine to include it since it is a variant. I haven't been tracking other language editions though. Interesting to see the cover and thanks for posting it. I like that cover effect.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's where it comes from. It's included in the promo pack.
    One of my copies of Twice The Power has that proof dust jacket on it. I don't have the promo pack so I was wondering.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the promo pack with the dust jacket. I never thought to compare the two, thopugh.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A question came in today in Tomas' site, the SK Collector. The questioner asked if what he had was a second printing, because it had a different printer than his other copy. Both started the number line with a "1". One printer was R.R. Donnelly & Sons Company while the other was Quebecor Printing Fairfield. I haven't checked my copies to see which I have.

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    A question came in today in Tomas' site, the SK Collector. The questioner asked if what he had was a second printing, because it had a different printer than his other copy. Both started the number line with a "1". One printer was R.R. Donnelly & Sons Company while the other was Quebecor Printing Fairfield. I haven't checked my copies to see which I have.

John
    Which book is this for John?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just found it, Rose madder! I will check.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My copy is Quebecor Printing Fairfield. It has a full number line.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine too. So if there's a report of "R.R. Donnelly & Sons Company", then this could be a printer variant we weren't aware of right?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine too. So if there's a report of "R.R. Donnelly & Sons Company", then this could be a printer variant we weren't aware of right?
    I have the rarer "R.R. Donnelly...." books. Purportedly there were 900,000 printed by Quebecor, and only 750,000 printed by R.R. Donnelly...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn! If they're that rare I'll never find one!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll add this to the main list.

Edit: Thanks for posting this here John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast