Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Dust Jacket, Book, and Proof Variants

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think those would be classified as proof dust jackets. I have a number of proof jackets with the only difference being there is a zero price on them. I wouldn't call them variants.

John
    Hmm... I don't know whether to continue to keep track of proof DJ's in the list. Now that I see these photos from Sir_Boomme, I think it could become unwieldy trying to keep track of them all. Although I do like that they're documented here... I'm open to advice on that front... I never even knew about many of those proof DJ's...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Great idea for a thread. Positive rep coming your way.

I suggest that the list be divided into separate categories, so that the various different variants can be grouped together for ease of reference. e.g. US 1sts, US proofs, Uk 1sts, UK proofs, etc., even BCE variants like the larger shoe on the spine of Cell.

Perhaps we could also add links to the catalog in addition to the various thread links. The catalog often has information about the variants.
    Thanks! Looks like I've given myself a new job here. Makes sense what you're saying. I'll make some updates to the list.
    Okay, I found the inspiration and have now re-organized the list. Also included links to the catalog where applicable. And for now, I've included the proof DJ's. I'm sure the list will continue to evolve...Now I'm going to rest...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! Ya done good!

You've earned a nap.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Happened to come across this. Never seen that before, and could possibly be a misprint per Michaël's comment lower down.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Happened to come across this. Never seen that before, and could possibly be a misprint per Michaël's comment lower down.
    Which book? Link takes to entire collection.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bachman Books I guess

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Which book? Link takes to entire collection.
    The Bachman Books. That link takes me directly to post #583.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a dust jacket error (I don't know what else to call it) for The Bachman Books. It's missing the color completely:

John

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was browsing Steve's collection thread, and came across this post from Bill. Picture copied below.

Is it just me, or is that gold lettering?

These are the two states I know of (red and grey):

Any idea on this?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

There also this one on liljas site. Could be a proof jacket though.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, there are two variants, with the silver variant being scarce. I only have the red, I think Michael also has the silver. I have been looking out on eBay since I've known about it but have not seen one.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, but what about that gold one I posted? I know about the silver (which I'm guessing is the silver you mentioned) and the red. What about that gold one?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have seen photos of the red edition where the flash reflects off the red lettering to make it appear gold. Could be that, but it generally only reflects on part of the lettering?

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's odd. All the letters look gold. Even the text above it. Maybe Bill can shed some light on this.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wrote H&S about the two colors of dust jackets and this was the reply:

We only had one finished jacket for the hardback - but maybe we proofed one in different coloured lettering before deciding to change it. I know that the lettering was white on the proof. Maybe that is the answer.
    John

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe the "white" they are referring to is the grey version. Still doesn't explain the gold one. Unless it's just an anomaly with how the photo was taken.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Four Past Midnight - Gold embossed version

I also include a picture of the CP to compare to the Black embossed one to see if there are printer differences.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting that Simon. This thread doesn't get updated too often, and most variants that surface tend to appear in places like collection threads. I do actually keep the 1st post with the main list updated whenever I see a new variant come up, as in this case. jonp had mentioned this one here, where you can see the non-gold version.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the CP page of the black embossed variant (sorry for the crap photo)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks the same to me.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok CP's are identical then.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I checked mine and it looks the same. So just the front board is different.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Is the lettering on the spines also different or are they the same?

John

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Lettering on the spine is the same. I have the black version, and spine lettering is gold on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast