Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will the series's ending translate well to film? **SPOILERS**

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Will the series's ending translate well to film? **SPOILERS**

Like it or not, a Dark Tower film hitting the silver screen is only a matter of time.

I've been thinking a lot about the things that will have to be modified, edited, added or subtracted to the film; the one element that sticks out most prominently in my mind is the ending.

Roland being stuck in a loop was very heavily hinted at throughout the story - Ka, time is a wheel etc. - and a large part of that was conveyed through exposition and third person narration. We knew of the significance of the horn of Eld because Roland thought of it often, which means that by proxy we did too.

Movie audiences will have no such asset. Imagine this scenario - the final portion of the final film is being played out in the movie theater, we see Roland get sucked backed into the desert and reaching for, perhaps caressing the Horn of Eld, mayhap he mutters something to himself... and the film ends. Chaos ensues in the movie theaters.

The way I see it, the creative team can do one of two things:

1. Keep the ending as is, but have the Horn of Eld play a much larger role in the film. It will have to be mentioned and referenced often, perhaps to the point of ad nauseam.

2. Change the ending... perhaps the film takes place after "our" loop so that Roland is in possession of the Horn from the very beginning, giving King and the team free reign to go a completely different direction with the film's ending.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see them go with option number 2. As it stands, I'm not necessarily crazy about the novel's ending (I felt it was a cop out), and this would be a chance to do something different, perhaps something King thought of between the publication of DT VII and now. It would be a very organic change, the nature of the story lends itself to it. Roland has gone through this loop a hundred, a thousand, or a million times -- who says it has to be our loop? Perhaps this time he did everything right and is ultimately rewarded... whatever that might mean.

What does everyone think?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Although I love the original ending, I could understand it being altered to satisfy audiences. It's difficult enough to translate a book to film without omitting important factors, but with 7 series to include, it seems nearly impossible to successfully pull it off. If the horn of Eld and Ka are not prominent factors in the movie(s), the ending would be incomprehensible to moviegoers.

Having the story take place after "our" loop surely does leave the story open for a lot of changes.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I myself loved the ending... found it very fitting for the enormity of the adventure.. no other way to end it. MY ONLY issue was the build up over TONS of King's books to a grand show down with Roland and The Man in Black... and there was none..instead Flagg gets eaten by a spider... that sucked. I preferred Andy's death in Wolves MUCH MORE.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to see what happens after the novels loop, but that could entirely change the story including the deaths of various characters. There is also a lot of inner dialogue that would be difficult to portray on a movie that could detract from the overall story. But I'm excited for a movie. Just hope they don't do it like The Mist was done

Gunslinger Apprentice chucknbuck will become famous soon enough chucknbuck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the idea of the movie taking off from the ending of book VII. I think most audiences will feel cheated with the story coming back to the beginning, even with the possibility of a new story trajectory since he has the horn. I also think that SK is stubborn about changing his stories for the screen, and can see him being very protective of his epic series. I imagine the ending is what has impeded the series being brought to the screen up to this point. The ending as is adds a lot of risk for the studios.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbuck View Post
    I love the idea of the movie taking off from the ending of book VII. I think most audiences will feel cheated with the story coming back to the beginning, even with the possibility of a new story trajectory since he has the horn. I also think that SK is stubborn about changing his stories for the screen, and can see him being very protective of his epic series. I imagine the ending is what has impeded the series being brought to the screen up to this point. The ending as is adds a lot of risk for the studios.
    IDK, yes and no. I know I was really pissed at first, but I have come around to embrace the ending and it is as it should be. I think audiences will come to understand that. However, as you say, I can see that as being somewhat of a detriment for studio's.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I also think that SK is stubborn about changing his stories for the screen
    Really? I think he's the exact opposite. He pretty much tells the film makers, "It's your baby, you run with it."
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice chucknbuck will become famous soon enough chucknbuck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I might be putting too much weight in his feelings towards Kubrick's version of "the shining".

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think most audiences will feel cheated with the story coming back to the beginning, even with the possibility of a new story trajectory since he has the horn...
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I also think that SK is stubborn about changing his stories for the screen
    Really? I think he's the exact opposite. He pretty much tells the film makers, "It's your baby, you run with it."
    He should take a page out of George R.R Martin's book and trust the eventual showrunners to do right by the series.
    The Game of Thrones showrunners have made several changes but always they've almost always been economic and necessary for the medium while maintaining the integrity of the source material.

Your crazy. D&B have BUTCHERED Martin's story for TV. It's painful to watch. Someone please make it STOP!!! That said, I think DT will be a MUCH easier adaptation. One of the big problems translating aSoIaF into GOT is the sheer scope of it. In the books, your talking about over a thousand named characters. Now that they are on season five, the big problem is that new characters, who the books had already had the time to developers intensively, start to play bigger and bigger roles, and the show simply hadn't had the time to introduce them. I think rather than make the first three episodes nothing but seemingly arbitrary character introductions, they decided to change the story a little more. It's not working. The choices they've made simply make no sense in the context of the story. DT doesn't have that same kind of scope where characters are concerned. The one book I expect will get shorted big time, and it's a shame since it was one of my favorites in the series, is Wizard and Glass. I would be willing to bet they do a quick synopsis of that material and then move on.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With GOT, people that have been reading the books assume that all of the characters and storylines they have read actually have meaning as far as where the story is going to end up. The show writers have the whole time line and how everything leads to the ending. They are actually trimming out completely unnecessary characters and story arcs and getting things to where they need to be in a more compact and arguably better fashion. There are those (like myself) that feel they are improving some of the worst parts of the last two books by condensing those storylines and then there are those who love the verbose explorations of Westeros. I would not in any way say they are butchering the story and if anything it is giving an early glimpse to the book readers as to what plots actually have zero to do with progressing the story.

Country
    Country Flag

I think the original plan was to have three (or more?) movies and a companion TV series. I'm not sure how they would break things up. I could see a TV series being the main story mechanism, with the movies slipping into place for i) the Mejis story, ii) the second coming of Jake, and iii) the latter half of book VII. Fun to think about the various ways it could be done.

Traveler Thing Fish will become famous soon enough

Obviously a lot of people don't like the ending and would like to see a different one, but I don't see why the ending would work less well on film than in the book. In fact, they could do exactly what the book did and have the first and last shots be identical. They would need to be sure to throw in some mentions of the Horn of Eld, but I don't think they would need to constantly beat the audience over the head with it any more than SK did in the books.

Country
    Country Flag

I could be wrong, but I feel that the mass moviegoing audiences expect a story to have a real sense of closure. A sense that the story ends. The idea of a really well developed and intriguing character being stuck in a repeating loop (which King himself has stated he imagines hell to be) may not send audiences out with a good feeling. I think the ending as the book has it may appeal to more of the indie movie crowd though, and probably readers of the books who liked the ending.

Full disclosure, I didn't like the ending. I liked and was invested in the character of Roland, and my interpretation of the ending is indeed he is in hell. I'm just not the sort that likes that kind of ending. I know many others feel more hopeful about the ending, but King's comments on hell being about repetition, there is no longer much question in my mind. For me, the ending is one of King's biggest failures, right behind Maximum Overdrive. I've strayed from the topic, and I apologize.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I could be wrong, but I feel that the mass moviegoing audiences expect a story to have a real sense of closure. A sense that the story ends. The idea of a really well developed and intriguing character being stuck in a repeating loop (which King himself has stated he imagines hell to be) may not send audiences out with a good feeling. I think the ending as the book has it may appeal to more of the indie movie crowd though, and probably readers of the books who liked the ending.

Full disclosure, I didn't like the ending. I liked and was invested in the character of Roland, and my interpretation of the ending is indeed he is in hell. I'm just not the sort that likes that kind of ending. I know many others feel more hopeful about the ending, but King's comments on hell being about repetition, there is no longer much question in my mind. For me, the ending is one of King's biggest failures, right behind Maximum Overdrive. I've strayed from the topic, and I apologize.
    I hear you. I was initially one of those that was like "WTF"!!!! regarding the ending, but I came to fully understand it after awhile. What could he really have wrote that would have been satisfying when you really think about it? There was just too much of a build up for him to realistically provide a satisfactory ending beside's the one he gave us.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

It was going to be impossible to have an ending that everyone liked for sure. It was a daunting task. I'm pretty sappy, I do like my happy endings. Others would have cried foul of that I suppose. And I generally know better than to expect that from King. It will be interesting to see what they do with the movies/series.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I could be wrong, but I feel that the mass moviegoing audiences expect a story to have a real sense of closure. A sense that the story ends. The idea of a really well developed and intriguing character being stuck in a repeating loop (which King himself has stated he imagines hell to be) may not send audiences out with a good feeling.
    Precisely. What works for novels will not necessarily work for movies.

I didn't like the ending either, to this day. Every time I get the urge to reread the series I think of the ending and it deters me from starting over again.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

From the Ain't It Cool article

They also told me my long-standing advice on how to crack the adaptation was actually put into the script: Roland did start out with the Horn of Eld. Readers will know what that means and why it's crucial to any adaptation of the material.
    This is the way to go IMO. It gives them reign to do something completely different for the ending.

Country
    Country Flag

Now that is very exciting news. A rumor I suppose, but I hope it turns out to be true, and that they don't change it in future drafts of the script. Three books into one script it says, which implies one movie? Must be doing the bulk of the character development in the TV series part of it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Giving him the horn opens a world of possibilities.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If they do decide to go that route, I wonder how much involvement King would have (if any) on what happens in this theoretical next loop.

Country
    Country Flag

Related to that, will King as a character in the story be written out. King's son Joe Hill could actually play the young King if he stays in the story.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Giving him the horn opens a world of possibilities.
    LOL! It always does with me!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Related to that, will King as a character in the story be written out. King's son Joe Hill could actually play the young King if he stays in the story.
    Lol, good call!

And honestly, I hope that whole bit is written out. It always felt really hokey to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. It disrupted the flow of the story. I could tolerate the reference to King's books, but it got out of control.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast