Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: About a potential next tournament

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So for the nominating process are we going to leave it open for a set amount of time and second films to move on? That way everyone can get their nominees mentioned? I couldn't remember what was decided.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, you can nominate as many films as you like, given five nominations in between, and second as many as you want. The first 200 seconded titles will comprise our tournament.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like that. That's a good approach. Lotta work tho lol.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

200? Wow. Broadly defined, comedy encompasses more than half of all movies.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    What I *think* will happen is that dark comedies will get eliminated very, very quickly and the playoff rounds will be populated almost exclusively by light, "conventional" comedies.
    I'm surprised that you have such conventional expectations since I happen to know that you so much like Brazil, Stanley Kubrick, and such. I just hate to think that this contest presumes advantage for movies which make you feel life is not so bad when the ultimate joke is how the world we live in is run.

What do you folken think of this benchmark?
    Gremlins: horror (with comedy)
    Gremlins 2: comedy (with horror)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well it's not that I necessarily want it to happen, it's just what I have a gut feeling will happen. If we study the trends of the recent tournaments, we're likely to see a heavy skew in favor of modern films reaching and flourishing in the knock out stages.

I'm going to do my part and watch as many comedy classics as I can before the start.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I'm going to do my part and watch as many comedy classics as I can before the start.
    That's cool; skew to novelty is not entirely what I was talking about, but I definitely think that an awareness of history is important. People don't know what they're missing, even on the level of straight hilarity, by skipping the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ... when I was a teen... the case could be made that I was too young to truly appreciate a film like (Bringing Up Baby) ...
    You know, there's an easy fix for that now.

Here's a few of the movies about comedy in any time that I'd also like to recommend for considering its meaning:

Sullivan's Travels (1941)
    Stardust Memories (1980)
    My Favorite Year (1982)
    Punchline (1988 )
    Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World (2005)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Some Like It Hot should definitely be a contender. That was a fantastic comedy. The Apartment is also excellent. Please Don't Eat The Daisies was also pretty entertaining.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I know we are knee-deep in the comedy tournament but for the next one, how about a best actor/actress or even best director tournament?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

We did best director already. I think we'd have to kind of do two separate tournies for actor/actress with the winner of both going head to head. I wouldn't mind giving screenwriter's a chance to shine, though it would be a smaller tournament I'm sure. We could probably do one for great score or composer, too.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Who won best director? was not around for that one

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

showthread.Alfred-Hitchcock-TDT.org-s-Greatest-Director-!&highlight=hitchcock

I like the idea of Worst Film of All Time next, really.

I wanted to suggest that too but I thought it might be a bit too contentious. I am an avid fan of mst3k and Rifftrax and have seen most of the worst movies ever, lol

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    We did best director already. I think we'd have to kind of do two separate tournies for actor/actress with the winner of both going head to head. I wouldn't mind giving screenwriter's a chance to shine, though it would be a smaller tournament I'm sure. We could probably do one for great score or composer, too.
    I wonder if those threads are still hanging around somewhere. I'd be interested in looking them over and I'm sure other might as well.

I have no problem sticking with the genre specific tournaments. You know me, I love my action and I'd love to see a tournament revolve around action films. I'm actually opposed to a Worst Film of All Time tournament. Think about it, one person nominates The Big Lebowski for the worst film, another person seconds that nomination. All of sudden you have The Big Lebowski considered one of the worst film of all time. That doesn't fly with me.

I just used Lebowski as an example, there are far better films that could fall victim to this. We'd have to tweak the parameters for a tournament of worst films to work. Possibly using websites and setting the bar at a certain rating or something. I don't know, but we'd have to do something.

There are two people on Earth that think Bringing Up Baby is the worst movie of all time, who knows, they could be on this website. If that's the case, I don't want to see what will happen to Pablo.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those are some of the reasons why I felt it might be too contentious and also, not really sure how many people have seen the likes of Manos The Hands of Fate, The Room or Birdemic to really appreciate just how awful film can be. But if done properly, it could be a lot of fun

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm all for a best worst movie of all time contest. I love those films. But I agree, I think we'd have to set some guidelines up, although I really don't know that we could all agree on some. I'm also fine with an actor/actress one, and really like the idea of a screenwriter one. Honestly I just love the contests and voting and the discussion it brings about, so I'm really up for whatever type of contest

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Those are some of the reasons why I felt it might be too contentious and also, not really sure how many people have seen the likes of Manos The Hands of Fate, The Room or Birdemic to really appreciate just how awful film can be. But if done properly, it could be a lot of fun
    Have you seen Shark Attack 3? And does it live up to the clips I've seen of it? I've been dying to see that one.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm all for a best worst movie of all time contest. I love those films. But I agree, I think we'd have to set some guidelines up, although I really don't know that we could all agree on some. I'm also fine with an actor/actress one, and really like the idea of a screenwriter one. Honestly I just love the contests and voting and the discussion it brings about, so I'm really up for whatever type of contest
    Best Key Grip of All Time Tournament?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Have you seen Shark Attack 3? And does it live up to the clips I've seen of it? I've been dying to see that one.
    No I haven't but thank you for bringing it to my attention, it looks like a real POS!

That one I might have to sit out

No I haven't but thank you for bringing it to my attention, it looks like a real POS!
    Go to youtube and look up the clips, I die with laughter every time I watch them

the best films of various countries like a Best French Film or Best American Film could be fun. Also, was there ever a best animated film tournament? I'm not really a huge animated film fan but there are some out there I really love

That one I might have to sit out

Go to youtube and look up the clips, I die with laughter every time I watch them
    Just watched a few, OMG WTF LMAO

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Do intentionally bad movies count haha I don't think anyone was trying to create a masterpiece with Shark Attack 3. This supreme stinker on the other hand..this is literally the WORST film I've ever seen:

Followed by this:

And there is a special place in hell for this (and its predecessor)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm actually opposed to a Worst Film of All Time tournament. Think about it, one person nominates The Big Lebowski for the worst film, another person seconds that nomination. All of sudden you have The Big Lebowski considered one of the worst film of all time. That doesn't fly with me.

I just used Lebowski as an example, there are far better films that could fall victim to this. We'd have to tweak the parameters for a tournament of worst films to work. Possibly using websites and setting the bar at a certain rating or something. I don't know, but we'd have to do something.

There are two people on Earth that think Bringing Up Baby is the worst movie of all time, who knows, they could be on this website. If that's the case, I don't want to see what will happen to Pablo.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As I said before, I think I'm like most people in that I intentionally avoid bad movies. So a Worst tournament doesn't sound appealing. I'm hoping we continue with other genres. We've done horror, sci-fi and now comedy. Next we can go for action, animation (not a genre,but...), drama, thriller, mystery/suspense, war, etc. after 8 or so of these we can pit them together to pick the best genre film.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    As I said before, I think I'm like most people in that I intentionally avoid bad movies. So a Worst tournament doesn't sound appealing. I'm hoping we continue with other genres. We've done horror, sci-fi and now comedy. Next we can go for action, animation (not a genre,but...), drama, thriller, mystery/suspense, war, etc. after 8 or so of these we can pit them together to pick the best genre film.
    How do you know it's a bad movie until you have watched it? Obviously, deliberate B movies such as Shark Attack 3 are easy to spot, but you must have watched some of the following:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Batman and Robin
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Jurassic Park 2

These are the absolute true stinkers of Hollywood. Films that were supposed to be massive blockbusters but turned out to be utter shit.

Extra "shite" points can be awarded for films that effectively killed off a franchise (Batman and Robin), raped childhood memories (Indiana Jones & Crystal Skull), had characters so annoying that you wanted to gouge your own eyes out (Star Wars I Phantom Menace), were full of plot holes and continuity errors that the film became a mockery of itself (Jurassic Park 2), and where the film's production budget was over $150 million (all of the above).

I would also consider awarding special "bonus" points to films that were made by Academy Award winning Directors that are capable of so much more (Schindler's List, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan); but decided to either sell themselves out, or simply couldn't be arsed to do a proper job and effectively directed the film via fax (Indiana Jones & Crystal Skull / Jurassic Park 2).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast