Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: About a potential next tournament

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I usually read reviews or watch trailers and do other research before watching a movie so if it's a known bad film I'll usually skip it. That said I've obviously seen some crap movies in my time, but I can't count amongst those the four of your examples. I've seen them all didn't mind them and actually enjoyed JP2 a lot. They may have betrayed expectations but they weren't bad in a sense of Worst Film of All Time, I think. Far from it. Where then does Scary Movie 27 rank?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm all for a best worst movie of all time contest. I love those films. But I agree, I think we'd have to set some guidelines up, although I really don't know that we could all agree on some. I'm also fine with an actor/actress one, and really like the idea of a screenwriter one. Honestly I just love the contests and voting and the discussion it brings about, so I'm really up for whatever type of contest
    In order to avoid films being chosen that clearly shouldn't be, we could introduce a rule where films cannot be nominated for inclusion in The Best Worst Movie Tournament, if they fall under either of the following two clauses:

1. The movie has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Or

2. The movie won an Academy Award in any category.

Therefore, films such as Bringing Up Baby would be safe from nomination.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

cinemablend.com-5-Times-Academy-Admits-They-Got-It-Wrong

You just sound square, pablo. To state that it would not be informative if done right because it doesn't follow a normal pattern of information is just false. If there's a good reason to pass on it, it's that we can't really get things together well enough. It should be possible to block a nomination more systematically than hoping that it doesn't get a single random second without resorting to an arbitrary authority. It probably would not be fun for everybody, anyway, however. It's a roast. Some people don't care for that type of thing. I can certainly understand how it might hurt to hear something I care about put down by people whose opinions I respect. But that's already why I hang around you guys instead.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That video path, I knew Titanic would be number one. Don't get the hate for the movie. It's so well made and it has a cast filled with character actors I love. A wicked score. Great effects both physical and computer. That's a movie that really doesn't deserve the hate it gets lol.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I am square if it means not looking forward to watching bad movies. There are still literally thousands of great movies I still have to see. Why waste time on known crap?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I can only watch bad movies if I'm drinking...this tournament will give me liver disease.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    looking forward to watching bad movies.
    That's not the point. You're looking at it the same way that you've been looking at earlier contests, but it's a different idea.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    The Best Worst Movie Tournament
    This makes me wonder if you really get it, either. It sounded as though you do, but I don't know what "Best Worst" means. Oxymorons are by their nature undefined.

I usually read reviews or watch trailers and do other research before watching a movie so if it's a known bad film I'll usually skip it.
    So you're depending on people who have wasted their own time on your behalf.
    But you don't want to give back.
    It's square (conformist) to subordinate your own taste to professional consensus. If you're informed already as to what makes some movies bad and how a person can tell, you should be able to communicate something of those criteria.
    I happen to know by now that many of the films I particularly love are popularly despised, and vice versa. If I'm going to learn something new, it might be only what exactly is wrong with people.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't just simply look at IMDB and ignore anything that's rated less than an 8. Like you and others here I've been watching movies all my life (otherwise we wouldn't be posting here so much) and have kinda acquired a way to tell whether a movie will be good or bad in advance. Sometimes it's reviews, but I've enjoyed many a film where most reviewers did not. Trailers often can be amazing but the final product will be less than that. Plus sometimes it's enough to just look at the poster. It's always different but again, I try not waste time watching a bad movie when I could be watching a good one. That's harder with a new release but for older titles usually the consensus could be trusted.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, out of respect IMHO I think you should wait for any new tournaments until the HF is over in mid May. Nevertheless, Maybe you should have polls to vote in the nominations and restrict the nominations to 25-50 films. IMHO the current process doesn't seem to work as we all would like. If, you're going to monopolize the boards, at least do it the right way. That's JMHO though and maybe some food for thought. In the past, there has been a rush to judgement on nominations. Maybe if you slowed it down, voted on multiple possible entries you'd get more films that more people are vested in and therefore a more accurate result.

Also, here's a crazy idea, what about a tournament for "Stephen King film adaptions"???
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Also, here's a crazy idea, what about a tournament for "Stephen King film adaptions"???
    Shawshank wins.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Shawshank wins.
    Or The Shining

Country
    Country Flag

This tournament will probably take us into May anyway so no worries. And any new tournament wouldn't be held right away. As far as tweaking the nominating process, I'm all for that, but I think it worked pretty well this time around, no?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This tournament will probably take us into May anyway so no worries. And any new tournament wouldn't be held right away. As far as tweaking the nominating process, I'm all for that, but I think it worked pretty well this time around, no?
    I liked the process but it got a bit confusing at the end. How would everyone feel about getting one veto for a nomination? Like the nominations the veto would have to be seconded, you only get one veto but you can second as many other people's vetoes as you like. Just a thought that might save a bit of frustration once the voting process begins.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The hardest part of deciding between a contest of SK adaptations and a search for worst movie of all time would be keeping track of which is which.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    The hardest part of deciding between a contest of SK adaptations and a search for worst movie of all time would be keeping track of which is which.
    Yeah, because The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist, Misery, Carrie, Stand By Me, Stephen King's IT and The Dead Zone were all fucking shit, weren't they?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Yeah, because The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist, Misery, Carrie, Stand By Me, Stephen King's IT and The Dead Zone were all fucking shit, weren't they?
    No he di--

Wait, what is this?
    You tryin' set me up?

Listen... dude! Before you take a shot like that, ask yourself, "Is this a battle I can ultimately win by any chance on this side?" Half of what you just fired off were misses, actually, (especially if we count both Carries and both The Shinings) and now you're out of ammo, flat-foot, with me armed - obviously! - like a monkey in Coconut Valley. So easy to prove I had a point that there's not even any sport in it.
    In fact, I can just whisper one word; let this sink in and then we'll see how big your case still is...
    Thinner.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

If I'm remembering correctly, Shawshank won our best movie of all time tournament a few years ago. Also how can you say the original Shining and Carrie are misses? I do think though that while he's had a decent amount of good films made from his works, he's also had quite a number of bad ones.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

how can you say the original Shining and Carrie are misses?
    Who says I didn't mean the remakes?

I do think though that while he's had a decent amount of good films made from his works, he's also had quite a number of bad ones.
    And I'd agree that while he's had a number of quite bad films made from his works, he's also had an eventually decent amount of good ones. I guess the humor I intended was, as usual, too subtle. Mea culpa.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And IT is awful. The Stand mini series was better lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    And IT is awful. The Stand mini series was better lol.
    I though IT was just amazing...when I was a kid (and before I read the book). re-watched in a while back and the adult actors are what kills it for me now, except Tim Curry of course. The grown-ups really camp it up, overact and are just plain bad while the child actors actually come across as genuine to me. Sorry, got off topic.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the nomination process we used for this was fine.

Country
    Country Flag

This is way way too early, but I'm really looking forward to doing a suspense/mystery tournament and a thriller tournament. Because these two genres often overlap, it will be a pretty fascinating and contentious (hopefully in a good way) process that could be real fun. But to make things easy maybe the next one should be action.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Idk... grouping those two separately will be splitting hairs. Shit, we had a hard enough time separating Horror and Sci-Fi, it might be next to impossible to extract these two.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, that's the fun part! For me, suspense is more cerebral, less actiony. Like Rear Window, probably the best suspense/mystery film. On the other hand, movies like Fight Club or Gone Girl are thrillers, in my view. So the discussions will be meaningful.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thriller/Suspense are the same genre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast