Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: About a potential next tournament

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    How about we do a new TV tournament instead of another movie one? We did The Best TV Series of All Time six years ago: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...es-of-All-Time But I was just thinking it would be interesting to do a Best TV Series Since 2000. Looking over that initial TV tournament now, I feel it was a tad restrictive even though the outcome itself turned our really well, I think (The Twilight Zone is the best TV series of all time). This time we would only nominate shows that premiered in the 21st century, with the dawn of "Peak TV" heralded by The Sopranos in 1999. Back then, of course, we had no Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu series competing, so this will be very different. We can follow the same model used for the comedy film tournament with 200 seconded nominations, giving us about 12 show per year.
    Breaking Bad would win the tournament before it even began - It's a foregone conclusion.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not so sure. It lost in the first round then: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?11690

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not so sure. It lost in the first round then: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?11690
    Breaking Bad was only two seasons in when that tournament took place.

However now that the entire series is complete, it is widely regarded as being the best TV show ever produced.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And then we have Game of Thrones... But as with the comedy tournament, the process would also yield a 1 through 200 ranking as well.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Mad Men is clearly the best show. No tournament required.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

It also got booted in the first round: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?11519

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    but it would surprise me to see a Beatles song having won it, Hotel California or Comfortably Numb.
    but... it did, didn't it???

I just remember being disappointed no one nominated any Bob Dylan
    I missed most of the nominations (and further stages too, alas! due to reasons beyond my control), but I am sure I nominated at least a couple [dozen] Dylan songs.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo. We need to have an intervention. One minute you're all 'I don't want to run the next tournament' and the next minute you're all 'hey guys, I'm going to run the next tournament!'. You're addicted to running tournaments bro. We're all going to sit in a circle and tell you how your addiction has affected us.

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't say I would run it.

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't say I would run it.
    Exactly. You were just suggesting an alternative to there being a 'Best Villain' tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

Right. My next tournament will be the 2018 Constant Reader Awards in about a year. But I will surely participate in any other tournaments we host!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo. We need to have an intervention. One minute you're all 'I don't want to run the next tournament' and the next minute you're all 'hey guys, I'm going to run the next tournament!'. You're addicted to running tournaments bro. We're all going to sit in a circle and tell you how your addiction has affected us.
    hahahaha

Country
    Country Flag

I was working on the new "Part Tournaments" archive sub-forum, so I've got tournament fever!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    but it would surprise me to see a Beatles song having won it, Hotel California or Comfortably Numb.
    but... it did, didn't it???

I just remember being disappointed no one nominated any Bob Dylan
    I missed most of the nominations (and further stages too, alas! due to reasons beyond my control), but I am sure I nominated at least a couple [dozen] Dylan songs.
    That was supposed to say 'wouldn't surprise me'. I have a habit of leaving suffixes off words without realising it lol.

Country
    Country Flag

It was actually The Sound of Silence. Or Hotel California, not sure...

It's the journey, not the destination.

Country
    Country Flag

It was actually The Sound of Silence. Or Hotel California, not sure...

It's the journey, not the destination.
    And what a journey it was too.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It also got booted in the first round: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?11519
    I have no memory of this place.

That must have been when I was taking a break from visiting on a regular basis.

I'm happy to see Firefly destroy Mad Men though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... We did The Best TV Series of All Time six years ago ... now, I feel it was a tad restrictive ...This time ... We can follow the same model used for the comedy film tournament...
    Why do I feel as though the former was less restrictive than the latter if you're saying the case was the reverse? Perhaps I mis-remember. Can't put my finger on reason at the moment... just a feeling. I will have to dig into that archive sub-forum and see what corroboration I can compile. Big thumbs-up for your work putting it together!
    One thing I recall clearly without having to look, however, is that every single time anyone has ever suggested any topic for any potential tournament, someone else has immediately replied "Why bother? -- the winner of that would obviously be _____!" It's a ritual. Practically tradition. I kind of enjoy the poetic nature; not complaining. I'm just saying that that type of prophetic response is ripe for counter-response of a nice round of teasing: a little humor can have poetry about it, too.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I haven't read this entire thread, so perhaps for that (or another) reason this is a dumb question, but has anyone considered a tournament of...books?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still am hoping for a "Best scene ever" in a movie tourney!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I'll second that one, Kris! It's an awesome suggestion!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread, so perhaps for that (or another) reason this is a dumb question, but has anyone considered a tournament of...books?
    We did one a while back. Check out that new Past Tournaments sub-forum for the Best 100 Novels tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    We did one a while back. Check out that new Past Tournaments sub-forum for the Best 100 Novels tournament.
    What a surprise, Stephen King's The Stand won....

I would never have predicted that Stephen King would win a book tournament, that was held on a Stephen King website. LOL!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    This would be a great idea.

My nominee: cousin Eddie (clad in a minimal and frayed terry cloth bathrobe) pumping out the crapper, belching, puffing at a stogie, and sipping at a can of Meister Brau, all to the accompaniment of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer as rendered on what sounds like tuba and accordion, in Christmas Vacation. So much packed into only 40 seconds or so ("Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!," he called out amiably to the neighbor) - I have yet to see this topped, although a few scenes in Raiders Of The Lost Ark deserve honorable mention.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

To quote path, I already have the winner:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast