Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is DT.org's Best SciFi film?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terminator 2

13 48.15%
  • 12 Monkeys

14 51.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Sci tournament - FINAL

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Much more creative and visual appealing!
    I love 12 Monkeys, but there is nothing in that film more visually appealing than the kind of things you'll see in T2. Whatever things 12M might have an edge on, SFX is certainly not one of them!
    you know, of course, feverish, that the day bears will take SFX into account while appreciating a film will be the day the Earth not only stands still, but turns the other way?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Twelve Monkeys is a much smarter time travel film than Terminator 2, I think.
    Hmm... elaborate.

And when I say better, I mean as a film, as a piece of cinematic art. T2 is pure popcorn fun and it's excellent at that.
    I'd argue that T2 made a much deeper impact on cinema as an art than 12 Monkeys did.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Twelve Monkeys is a much smarter time travel film than Terminator 2, I think.
    Hmm... elaborate.

And when I say better, I mean as a film, as a piece of cinematic art. T2 is pure popcorn fun and it's excellent at that.
    I'd argue that T2 made a much deeper impact on cinema as an art than 12 Monkeys did.
    I would like to have that elaborated as well
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Much more creative and visual appealing!
    I love 12 Monkeys, but there is nothing in that film more visually appealing than the kind of things you'll see in T2. Whatever things 12M might have an edge on, SFX is certainly not one of them!
    you know, of course, feverish, that the day bears will take SFX into account while appreciating a film will be the day the Earth not only stands still, but turns the other way?
    Oh but of course!

SFX's by themselves are often mere window dressing... however in this case, the SFX are an integral component in selling the illusion of a relentless, unstoppable killing machine that not even a force of nature like Arnold can defeat. A film like this is only as good as its villain, and T2 succeeds with flying colors in this regard because of the work that went into crafting its big baddie.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To tell you the truth, I think T2 is perfection incarnate, as far as a sci-fi film goes. Which Twelve Monkeys is not. But we've known each other since time out of mind, so I believe you totally understand what I am trying to say when I say that TM is a bears' type of film (regardless of the genre).

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I posted a link to an article where it talk about how the time travel in T2 doesn't make a lot of sense if you really think about it. It's actually more solid in T1 (and, again, yes, T1 is better than T2 ).

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...But we've known each other since time out of mind, so I believe you totally understand what I am trying to say when I say that TM is a bears' type of film (regardless of the genre).
    And so I do, brother Bear. And so I do!

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted a link to an article where it talk about how the time travel in T2 doesn't make a lot of sense if you really think about it. It's actually more solid in T1 (and, again, yes, T1 is better than T2 ).

Stupid work comp won't let me watch videos

And watchoo talking about, Willis? (no pun intended lol). The biggest time travel paradox is present in T1 as well (Kyle impregnating Sarah with John). You have to give certain concessions when dealing with time travel films because of their tendency to invoke the Grandfather Paradox. Even the time travel in 12 Monkeys is not airtight.

The fact is that these inconsistencies are usually in the peripheral as we are willing to turn a blind eye to them in favor of a good fable, which both of these films are. They both deal with humanity being humanity's downfall, albeit in very different ways.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Twelve Monkeys just won

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Twelve Monkeys just won
    Oh...

Spoiler:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The biggest time travel paradox is present in T1 as well (Kyle impregnating Sarah with John). You have to give certain concessions when dealing with time travel films because of their tendency to invoke the Grandfather Paradox. Even the time travel in 12 Monkeys is not airtight.
    Actually, that's the kind of time travel that, when done right, I enjoy the most. There's two kinds of time travel story: there's "time travel changes history", which is a bit of an easy story to tell, and then there's the idea that time travel is history, that it's a natural part of the timeline i.e. "the future is history", like the tagline of Twelve Monkeys states. The time travel in The Terminator only ceases to make sense when T2 comes along, because T1 goes with the idea that, despite Kyle's/John's words, there is fate within time travel, for better (causing John to be born) or worse (the Terminator going back in time originally accelerating technology to cause Skynet to exist in the first place, something made very clear in a deleted scene). And then T2 comes along and goes for the "the future/history can change". Not that I'm taking anything away from the brilliance of T2, it's a fantastic story in its own right, but it's just something to keep in mind when thinking about the time travel of each film. There are some series that flow seamlessly from one film to the next, and then there's others when each instalment should be judged purely on its own merits. The Terminator films are definitely the latter!

As for Twelve Monkeys: it's by far the best and most satisfying time travel movie I've seen, as far as the idea of time travel and fate are intertwined is concerned. It's incredibly difficult to tell a story like that, to make sure that all the pieces are in place and, perhaps most important of all, not come across as a massively pretentious wanker who's trying to show off how clever he is (this Jean is part of the reason why it's taking me a while to write the novel, but rest assured, I have been writing it). T2 is a fantastic science-fiction film overall, but as far as time travel movies are concerned, Twelve Monkeys is definitely one of the best.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bullshit
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ill say my vote made the difference :p
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually I put in my vote at 2:14 CST, one minute before the poll closed, with the movies tied. Therefore it was the tiebreaker.

It was a very hard decision to make and I am not even 100% sure it was the correct one. I love both of these movies. If we do an action-movie poll, T2 would definitely get my vote there.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh wow, I come back after a few days and see that 12 Monkeys won! I am pleasantly surprised by all the love that it got. Both films were great though, so I wouldn't have minded if T2 ended up winning.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe it!! Can't fucking believe it!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations to 12 Monkeys!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Actually I put in my vote at 2:14 CST, one minute before the poll closed, with the movies tied. Therefore it was the tiebreaker.

It was a very hard decision to make and I am not even 100% sure it was the correct one. I love both of these movies. If we do an action-movie poll, T2 would definitely get my vote there.
    Yes, but it was down by two when I vote. After I voted, there was a shift in momentum with all votes going to the monkeys, what we Canadians know as the TSN turning Point :p You may have put the puck in the net, but I stole the puck and madr a nice play yo make that goal happen. :p. This is all tongue in cheek, of course.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem with 12 Monkeys winning.

This tournament was great fun. I'd like to once again thank all involved. I'd like to see you all come back here for the Oscar tournament in February, it's only one night (we have to beat Heather).

I must say that 12 Monkeys winning is somewhat of a surprise. I thought it would go far in the tournament, but I didn't think it would win the whole thing. Quite a dark horse.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'd like to see you all come back here for the Oscar tournament in February, it's only one night (we have to beat Heather).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I have no problem with 12 Monkeys winning.

This tournament was great fun. I'd like to once again thank all involved. I'd like to see you all come back here for the Oscar tournament in February, it's only one night (we have to beat Heather).

I must say that 12 Monkeys winning is somewhat of a surprise. I thought it would go far in the tournament, but I didn't think it would win the whole thing. Quite a dark horse.
    I can't even express my feelings!! I've only just seen this film, and fell in love with it, and I don't remember there ever being any big fuss about it... and I totally didn't expect it to win, or even to move high, because films I love very seldom do (all my nominees lost pathetically in the Horrors tournament)... and voilą!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that the best Sci-fi film of all time is under twenty years old...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3