• The Fifth Element

8 27.59%
  • The Mist

3 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3 Group G

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3 Group G

Note: You may vote for up to 2 films
    District 9

Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope

Artificial Intelligence

Blade Runner

The Fifth Element

The Mist
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

District 9
    A.I.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

District 9
    Blade Runner

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    District 9
    Blade Runner
    Interestingly, with a few exceptions, we seem to be sharing a lot of similar choices Fernando, including this round!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

AI and Blade Runner. Again, AI is a criminally underrated film, it's Spielberg's best sci-fi film.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Blade Runner
    Star Wars IV

sk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    District 9
    A.I.
    Samesies
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I intensely disliked AI, The 5th Element and The Mist. Have voted for Blade Runner

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why such a reaction to AI, Jean? Could you elaborate? It's one of my favorites.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

District 9
    Blade Runner
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars IV

sk
    Same vote for me. Easiest grouping in this round by far.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars IV

sk
    Yeah. To think that District 9 is better than either of these must take a lot of mental effort.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Star Wars
    Blade Runner

That was so easy this round must have been a joke, right?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why such a reaction to AI, Jean? Could you elaborate? It's one of my favorites.
    I don't think I can at the moment, because I don't remember much of it except being simultaneously exasperated and bored (rare mix, but one I normally experience while watching Spielberg)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

AI is beautiful. Only four votes. Sad.

I voted for AI, and loved it. But I'm not surprised it's not getting more votes. Most people I know really disliked the film. I can't understand why though. But based on that, I always just assumed that most people ranked it rather low. I just checked and IMDB has it listed as a 7.1/10, rotten tomatoes has it at 64% for viewers, and netflix has it at 3.2/5 stars. That's actually better than I was expecting.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... being simultaneously exasperated and bored (rare mix, but one I normally experience while watching Spielberg)
    I agree with that. I confess the ending made me tear up a bit, but I think that was just because at the time I hadn't seen my mom for a while. It's really just D.A.R.Y.L. all over again.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars IV

sk
    Yeah. To think that District 9 is better than either of these must take a lot of mental effort.
    Idk, a case can be made for District 9 being a better sci fi film than Episode IV. I'm glad for either to advance though.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Idk, a case can be made for District 9 being a better sci fi film than Episode IV. I'm glad for either to advance though.
    WTF!!! Really!!??

Awww shit.... Dude, you really need to give me fair warning before posting something like that.... Your comment just made me spray coffee all over my laptop!!! LOL!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

WTF!!! Really!!??

Awww shit.... Dude, you really need to give me fair warning before posting something like that.... Your comment just made me spray coffee all over my laptop!!! LOL!
    Always happy to provide comedic relief

Yeah, see the science fiction in SW is just a cog that's part of a larger machine -- in this case, that machine is a story about Good vs Evil painted in very broad strokes. Its like politics in the SW universe. They exist only in bare bones form to serve as the stories' skeletal outline and give purpose and direction to the conflict. All we know is that Rebels = good, and Empire = bad. We aren't really provided specifics because they're not important. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and will always geek out at the sound of a light saber switching on and X-Wings are some of my favorite star craft of all time, but the specifics of how they function are after thoughts.

Now compare that to something like District 9 where specifics are everything and the science fiction is an integral part of a powerful and poignant story about human nature; our priorities (or lack of), our fear of the unknown and how we hive mind against it, how deeply our morality decays while on a greedy pursuit

Spoiler:
    Wikus's father in law telling his own daughter that her husband is dead when he's really not
    , our never ending quest to obtain weapons to obliterate each other with. All that, and it still has more than enough visual set pieces to satisfy the sweet tooth of any action aficionados.

Like I said, very different films but I'm happy to see either advance.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And we all know how well that worked out lol. My bad, I should have cited Ep IV specifically -- it's what I was thinking of when I typed that ^

I think that's one of the prequels' pitfalls, in all honesty. Lucas was trying to make of the saga something it was not... or rather, he was not equipped as a writer to properly integrate them into his universe. Stuff like the intricacies of the senate/republic and the midochlorians (lol) could maybe have worked if in the hands of a capable writer. Unfortunately, Lucas was not that person.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

District 9 is a better film than A New Hope. District 9 is an almost perfect allegory for the long-running class struggle in South Africa. I love it. Wish more films like this came out in Hollywood these days, and are as successful as this one was.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The whole concept of Star Wars was to NOT put the science center stage on principle that space travel is more believable if taken for granted. That can hardly be made to count against now, especially since District 9 is one of the imitators.

And here
    And we all know how well that worked out lol. My bad, I should have cited Ep IV specifically -- it's what I was thinking of when I typed that ^

I think that's one of the prequels' pitfalls, in all honesty. Lucas was trying to make of the saga something it was not... or rather, he was not equipped as a writer to properly integrate them into his universe. Stuff like the intricacies of the senate/republic and the midochlorians (lol) could maybe have worked if in the hands of a capable writer. Unfortunately, Lucas was not that person.
    You got it. It was precisely my intent to underscore how good Ep. IV was by reminder of contrast. All you really need to establish the Empire is imagery styled clearly after the Nazis. Duh. And don't forget, ANH was all done on much smaller budget. D9 has some good points, but iconic filmmaking still is not a bad thing.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast