Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please PICK TWO films to advance to the next round!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back

14 51.85%
  • Aliens

16 59.26%
  • Mad Max

4 14.81%
  • The Thing

7 25.93%
  • The Abyss

9 33.33%
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3, Group F

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I will always consider T2 Cameron's best work. Aliens a close second.

T2 is such an improvement over the first one it's mind boggling. I mean, he took the initial core concept and just enhanced it on every level. The T-1000 is one of the most creative villains ever -- millions, trillions of units working in unison to form an nearly indestructible whole? Brilliant. The entire film is shot in a bluish hue to underscore that 'metallic feeling'. It's small details like that, and larger details like more refined, more epic action and the whimsical nature of fate that cement it as one of the all time greats. I love that film.

Titanic? LOL.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You're very difficult to please. Glad you aren't in my "Secret Santa"!! LOL
    I'm very easy to please. I'm a minimalist. I don't need much. I was just afraid with this tournament real great sci-fi films would lose to films that are more popular and are loosely sci-fi, like The Thing for example. The Thing is a very strict horror film that as a few sci-fi elements. It's 90% horror, 10% sci-fi: this shouldn't beat films who are 90% sci-fi, 10% horror. The Mist was the same way and a few others that were on here. People are voting for the fact they love The Thing, I think, more than they think the Thing is a great science fiction film. I am more lenient with Alien/Aliens because the sci-fi elements permeate those movies start to finish, they are as close to 50/50 in terms of sci-fi/horror or sci-fi/action as you can find.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With all due respect to SK, his tastes in movies and books are not very close to mine.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A lot of critics and respected best-of lists often place T1 above T2 and I agree. It's a better film.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

They're both very creative. Any time you start to feel down on one, just look at how T3 combined the worst of both.

And that King quote is hilarious!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    With all due respect to SK, his tastes in movies and books are not very close to mine.
    not to mine, either

I have never gotten around to watching Titanic, though. Something's telling me I am not going to like it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    not to mine, either

I have never gotten around to watching Titanic, though. Something's telling me I am not going to like it.
    You probably wouldn't, Jean. I, however, found it phenomenal.

Country
    Country Flag

Really a huge disappointment to see both Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still not make it any further. Yet all three Star Wars films will move on.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    not to mine, either

surprise... maybe I should reconsider, then

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really a huge disappointment to see both Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still not make it any further. Yet all three Star Wars films will move on.
    And so they should.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    not to mine, either

surprise... maybe I should reconsider, then
    Well don't blame me if you don't like it! I'm a sucker for "star-crossed lover" stories and well, the ship was impressive. When it started to go down, I was really caught up in it. Plus I've had such a crush on Kate Winslet that it might have colored my impression of the movie. But, hey, even though many profess disdain for the movie, it must have done something right at is made billions of dollars, right?

Country
    Country Flag

n-no, I don't think so...

love Kate Winslet, though

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like Titanic. Not sure why it gets the hate. I mean, Billy Zane, Maggie Smith, Kathy Bates, David Warner, Bill Paxton, Victor Garber, Bernard Hill...one of the best ensemble of character actors in all of film.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I really like Titanic. Not sure why it gets the hate. I mean, Billy Zane, Maggie Smith, Kathy Bates, David Warner, Bill Paxton, Victor Garber, Bernard Hill...one of the best ensemble of character actors in all of film.
    Yeah, you must really like Titanic to think that Maggie Smith appeared in the movie. LOL! LOL! LOL!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Yeah, you must really like Titanic to think that Maggie Smith appeared in the movie. LOL! LOL! LOL!
    Are you really so lonely in life that you've grown obsessed with every post I make? No, that's not. It's jealousy. I can't say that I blame you. I would be pretty jealous of myself too. I'm actually thinking of starting a support group for it and I'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

He probably meant Gloria Stuart.

It's good to know that you've never made a mistake though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Yeah, it's easy to mix those two up. Gloria Stuart was an American Actress that was born in 1910, and Maggie Smith is an English Actress that was born in 1934. So apart from an age gap of 24 years and a noticeable difference in accent, the similarity between those two is uncanny! LOL! LOL!

I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes in the past. However unlike Mattrick, at least I don't arrogantly force badly misguided, ill-informed and pretentious opinions down other people's throats and go around acting as if I'm Roger Ebert.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I confused Maggie Smith with Frances Fisher. An honest mistake for a film I haven't seen in about a decade. Don't get mad at TDogz though for pointing out even the smallest of my follies, he's just jealous he's so narrowminded he can't enjoy old movies like other people can. We should be trying to help him instead of making him feel bad about himself. POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT!

Quote Originally Posted by TDogz
    I'm sure I have made plenty of mistakes (NOT BLOODY LIKELY) in the past. However unlike Mattrick, at least I don't arrogantly force badly misguided, ill-informed and pretentious opinions (WHICH MAKES MY, TDOGZ, OPINIONS TOTALLY AWESOMELY GUIDED, WELL INFORMED AND TOTALLY PEDESTRIAN AND TOTALLY RIGHT AND CORRECT AND AWESOME BY DEFAULT) down other people's throats (MATTRICK COMES TO MY HOUSE AND PRIES MY EYELIDS APART AND FORCES ME TO READ EVERY ONE OF HIS POSTS) and go around acting as if I'm Roger Ebert.
    Now that you make me think about it, I AM ROGER EBERT! SEE MY MOVIE!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen people get into it on these boards more than a few times over the years, but it usually ends after a little while. T-Dogz just isn't letting it go though.

You've really gotten under his skin, Matt.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe everyone should just take a break and build a snowman.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, do you want to build a snowman?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the first time in forever, yes!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Snowmen always give me the cold shoulder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3