Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please PICK TWO films to advance to the next round!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back

14 51.85%
  • Aliens

16 59.26%
  • Mad Max

4 14.81%
  • The Thing

7 25.93%
  • The Abyss

9 33.33%
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3, Group F

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3, Group F

Note:
    Please choose UP TO 2 films to advance to the next round!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! I got first comment AGAIN! LOL! LOL! LOL!

This is just as easy:

Aliens
    The Empire Strikes Back

Take that shit to the bank! LOL!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Star Wars for me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Goodbye Mr. Carpenter

Aliens
    Day The Earth Stood Still
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Abyss
    The Thing
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh fuck! Aliens and The Thing appearing in the same fucking round as Empire?!? Without Empire, it'd be easy to vote for both of them, but as it is...along with Empire, vote has to go for The Thing. JUST. Both films have claustrophobia and paranoia at certain parts, but The Thing has just a little bit more. Plus: the most disgusting alien life form ever shown on film. In so many interesting ways!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh fuck! Aliens and The Thing appearing in the same fucking round as Empire?!? Without Empire, it'd be easy to vote for both of them, but as it is...along with Empire, vote has to go for The Thing. JUST. Both films have claustrophobia and paranoia at certain parts, but The Thing has just a little bit more. Plus: the most disgusting alien life form ever shown on film. In so many interesting ways!
    But isn't claustrophobia and paranoia elements for a Horror film rather than Sci-fi?

As a Sci-fi film, Aliens wins by a mile.......

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not necessarily, in fact, those are elements I enjoy in a lot of genres. This is the interesting thing about science fiction - it's very, very hard to truly define what is and what isn't great science fiction based on that particular label alone.

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Thing is barely science fiction. It's an alien life form but in the end it's a monster movie. The most scientific they got in The Thing was using petrie dishes lol

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Set on present day Earth, says nothing about present day society. Whereas Aliens goes further than its first chapter with the concealed plan to exploit the aliens. Clearly shows how corrupt and ruthlesss that future is.

Sorry, DD, but "nobody understands sci-fi anyway" is a fallacious argument.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Abyss should move all the way to the Finals along with The Day the Earth Stood Still. Two of the best sci-fi films of all tine, no contest.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gosh, this is tough. Aliens is one of the best sci-fi films ever so it gets one of my votes.

I'm not a total Star Wars fanboy like a lot of my generation, but it's hard to pass over The Empire Strikes Back. And The Thing is one of my all-time favorite films period--but, yeah, it's more of a horror.

But The Abyss has just something more to it than battles in space and Yoda. So, yeah, The Abyss gets my second vote (even though I actually like The Thing better).

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How does The Abyss have only a third of the votes so far? Shocking!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aliens
    The Abyss

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I'm not a total Star Wars fanboy like a lot of my generation, but it's hard to pass over The Empire Strikes Back.
    Yup. Ep. V is one of those sequels that just got everything right. A natural progression of the previous chapter, a darker tone, higher stakes, better duels (Vader vs Luke on Cloud City is my favorite fight of the entire series), a startling revelation - it's a complete science fiction film.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But wait. Can you explain this? Luke leaves Hoth, flies to Dagobah, finds Yoda, studies the Force, has vision, and flies back. Meanwhile, Han and Leia fly through asteroids to Cloud City and spend one night there.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I call it, narrative contrivance! However if we go down that route, we could tumble the very pillars of cinema itself lol.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    if we go down that route, we could tumble the very pillars of cinema itself lol.
    LOL - Very good!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Set on present day Earth, says nothing about present day society. Whereas Aliens goes further than its first chapter with the concealed plan to exploit the aliens. Clearly shows how corrupt and ruthlesss that future is.

I wasn't saying that. Just in my experience, what's generally termed as 'science fiction' has an incredibly broad label - some films or stories focus on telling something about our society, some focus on hard edged science ideas and exploring those ideas as realisticially as possible, and some focus on just being awesome! Wasn't trying to be patronising, just keeping in mind that my 4 favourite science fiction series are Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Doctor Who are all broadly labelled as science fiction, and every single one is a radically different take on the genre.

Good points raised about Aliens and The Thing, anyway.

- Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

And I'm not saying The Thing is not science fiction. I just agree it would be nice to have sci-fi reasons to vote for it. Thanks for clarifying your point, anyway.

P.S. Does anyone have better criticism of The Abyss than mine for ESB? Cause I may have to vote that way.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only criticism - and I use the term loosely - regarding The Abyss is that it wasn't very memorable... however that may have more to do with my mindset and expectations at the time I watched it rather than any perceived short comings. I'll need to watch it again soon even though it appears its number may be up...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

I wasn't saying that. Just in my experience, what's generally termed as 'science fiction' has an incredibly broad label - some films or stories focus on telling something about our society, some focus on hard edged science ideas and exploring those ideas as realisticially as possible, and some focus on just being awesome! Wasn't trying to be patronising, just keeping in mind that my 4 favourite science fiction series are Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Doctor Who are all broadly labelled as science fiction, and every single one is a radically different take on the genre.

Good points raised about Aliens and The Thing, anyway.
    For the purposes of this tournament I choose what the film is trying to do most. The Thing is trying much harder to be scary than science fiction and even Aliens is trying harder to be action than science fiction and I won't be giving it my vote against more science fiction focused films.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Abyss should be right up there as a strong contender. I can't believe it's not doing better.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The Abyss should be right up there as a strong contender. I can't believe it's not doing better.
    Not against Aliens and The Empire Strikes Back, it shouldn't!

Country
    Country Flag

Aliens is an action movie, I agree. But The Abyss is actual sci-fi. And it's one of my favorite movies if all-time, and it's certainly one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. How wasn't it memorable? It's got some of the first uses of CGI in history, it mostly takes place underwater (how many sci-fi movies do?), and the aliens are benevolent and unique. The scene of the descent into the abyss is exceptionally tense, even on rewatch after rewatch. It was recently restored in HD final and I watched it on Cinemax and had goosebumps same as back in '89. It's a tremendous film, easily Cameron's best, but since film is subjective I can understand that not everyone will have it impact them equally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast