Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please PICK TWO films to advance to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

17 60.71%
  • Donnie Darko

5 17.86%
  • Dredd

3 10.71%
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

6 21.43%
  • Starwars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

15 53.57%
  • Starship Troopers

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 3, Group E

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Attack the Block proved Space Monkey's are something to be feared.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Shit, I still need to watch Attack the Block. And dammit, now we've got space monkeys involved. This conversation is rapidly turning into a 2000AD story!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

According to South Park, Orcas (and I'm assuming other whales) fail in space

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Spoiler:
    And you're right, this totally needs its own thread, but I can imagine discussion of shit like this getting as ridiculously heated as it has in the sci-fi tournament...
    Yes!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Space, you say! Well, that changes things.

Okay, well, due to the physical bodies of both sharks and bears, I would say that the shark would win since its fins would allow it to better acclimate to and survive in a zero gravity environment (movie idea: Space Sharks). A bear's strength lies in its formidable body, strength, and claws BUT due to the lack of gravity, its force would be lessened. Even if both animals were just floating through space, relying on pure chance to attack each other, the shark would have the advantage since it could just open its mouth and glide towards the face of the bear.

Spoiler:
    This needs its own thread.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Mattrick
    Yet you phrased it that Prometheus and Avatar were comparable to Citizen Kane, good or bad, they are incomparable.
    You haven't even watched Citizen Kane, so how the fuck can you say that those films are incomparable to it? This is just another example of you forcing opinionated shit down people's throats when you know absolutely nothing about the film you are preaching about.

Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47
    Have you even watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? Or is that just another movie you have left to "marinate"? First off, Jack Nicholson doesn't scream his head off in a straight jacket anywhere in the movie, nor does he just "flop around". The fact that you would post such a comment just shows that you are completely ignorant about the film. I suggest you actually watch the movie before spouting such opinionated crap.
    I saw it for the first time when I was ten. Seen it a few times since then. I think in terms of Milos Forman's films I like Amadeus more. So no, I am not completely ignorant about the film
    So you watched an 18 certificate film at the age of 10 (thus being too young to fully understand or appreciate it) and a few times since. When since exactly? Last week? Last month? Last year? Or when you were 12? Considering that you earlier stated that Jack Nicholson spent his time in the movie "flopping around on screen, screaming his head off in a straight jacket", I highly doubt you have seen it properly at all. Even if you did watch it as a kid, you obviously didn't have a clue as to what was going on in the movie - because if you had, you wouldn't have spouted such utter shit in your post.

your comment that "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time" is based on what exactly? I bet you haven't even seen two of his movies, if any at all!
    I am pretty sure Rebecca is the only film I've seen him in but he was goddamn fantastic
    Just as I predicted. Laurence Olivier starred in over 60 movies throughout his career and yet you have only watched ONE of them, but act as if you know everything about his acting style and ability.

Let me get this straight. I say: "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time", and then you say, "is based on what exactly?"; to answer that here is my quote again, with the part of my quote that answers the question you just asked: "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time" My uncle raves about Olivier. One of my best friends Will RAVES about Olivier. The Academy raved about Olivier (13 nominations...he must suck!). A LOT of people rave about him.
    So your argument concerning Laurence Olivier's acting skills is based on what other people have told you and what you have probably read in a Roger Ebert review? Wow! I guess that makes you quite the expert then? LOL! LOL!

As for Apocalypse now, I haven't seen Apocalypse now but I've watched Coppola's The Conversation five times....have you seen it once?
    Yes I have seen The Conversation. In fact I have seen it nearly a dozen times. Gene Hackman is one of my favourite actors.

Let me give you a tip. I have been watching movies before you were even born, so don't bother trying to be a smart ass about what movies I may or may not have watched.

Now go home and get your fucking shinebox!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Yet you phrased it that Prometheus and Avatar were comparable to Citizen Kane, good or bad, they are incomparable.
    You haven't even watched Citizen Kane, so how the fuck can you say that those films are incomparable to it? This is just another example of you forcing opinionated shit down people's throats when you know absolutely nothing about the film you are preaching about.
    They are comparable, then? Prometheus is about humans going across space trying to discover the origins of mankind, Avatar is about a soldier infiltrating an alien species using an avatar identity; Citizen Kane is about a wealthy newspaper publisher based on a real wealthy newspaper publisher named William Hearst (who was none to happy and tried to get the film outright banned): now, I haven't seen Citizen Kane so I guess I must not know about the alien planets and alien species and extended action sequences it has, which must be why they are so comparable.

Have you even watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? Or is that just another movie you have left to "marinate"? First off, Jack Nicholson doesn't scream his head off in a straight jacket anywhere in the movie, nor does he just "flop around". The fact that you would post such a comment just shows that you are completely ignorant about the film. I suggest you actually watch the movie before spouting such opinionated crap.
    I saw it for the first time when I was ten. Seen it a few times since then. I think in terms of Milos Forman's films I like Amadeus more. So no, I am not completely ignorant about the film
    So you watched an 18 certificate film at the age of 10 (thus being too young to fully understand or appreciate it) and a few times since. When since exactly? Last week? Last month? Last year? Or when you were 12? Considering that you earlier stated that Jack Nicholson spent his time in the movie "flopping around on screen, screaming his head off in a straight jacket", I highly doubt you have seen it properly at all. Even if you did watch it as a kid, you obviously didn't have a clue as to what was going on in the movie - because if you had, you wouldn't have spouted such utter shit in your post.
    Sigh, obviously you don't understand the concept of hyperbole. I was drawing conclusions over your claims of 'realistic acting' and citing Cuckoo's Nest as an example and Nicholsons very kinetic performance in it, compared the very stoic, brooding performance of Olivier in Rebecca so yes, by saying he was flopping around in a straight jacket I was making a swooping generalisation of an insane person in an insitution because it starkly contrasts Olivier performance in Rebecca...I suppose some people just can't perceive wit. The last time I watched Cuckoo's Nest was about four or five years ago, I've also read the book. I don't own it so it's been a when I can kind of watch. And yes, I haven't seen it properly. And yes, I understood what was happening when I was a kid. I was a child genius who was very grown up and was thus allowed to watch a film like Schindler's List when I was seven (which I chose to watch several more times as a kid, because it was so good).

your comment that "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time" is based on what exactly? I bet you haven't even seen two of his movies, if any at all!
    I am pretty sure Rebecca is the only film I've seen him in but he was goddamn fantastic
    Just as I predicted. Laurence Olivier starred in over 60 movies throughout his career and yet you have only watched ONE of them, but act as if you know everything about his acting style and ability.[/quote]

I never claimed I knew everything about his acting style or ability: you did. And technically, looking at his filmography, I've watched Spartacus and Marathon Man in addition to Rebecca, which means since you bet I haven't even seen two of his roles, when I've seen three, means you are wrong again.

Let me get this straight. I say: "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time", and then you say, "is based on what exactly?"; to answer that here is my quote again, with the part of my quote that answers the question you just asked: "Laurence Olivier is considered by many people to be one of, if the not the greatest, actor of all time" My uncle raves about Olivier. One of my best friends Will RAVES about Olivier. The Academy raved about Olivier (13 nominations...he must suck!). A LOT of people rave about him.
    So your argument concerning Laurence Olivier's acting skills is based on what other people have told you and what you have probably read in a Roger Ebert review? Wow! I guess that makes you quite the expert then? LOL! LOL!
    I never said I was an expert on Olivier: again, you did. All I did was cite PUBLIC OPINION which is therefore NOT MY OPINION. An analogy I can render is one we've discussed; Citizen Kane was at the top o the AFI film list forever until Vertigo (which I've seen) usurped it in 2012, now, if I were to say "Citizen Kane is considered by many people to be one of, if not the greatest, film ever made", does this mean I think I am an expert because I haven't seen it? No, I'm citing PUBLIC OPINION. Now if I said of said 'Laurence Olivier is the greatest actor of all time' or 'I think Olivier is the greatest actor of all time' you would have a case, but no, I clearly stated that opinion was not my opinion but PUBLIC OPINION, which it is.

As for Apocalypse now, I haven't seen Apocalypse now but I've watched Coppola's The Conversation five times....have you seen it once?
    Yes I have seen The Conversation. In fact I have seen it nearly a dozen times. Gene Hackman is one of my favourite actors.

Let me give you a tip. I have been watching movies before you were even born, so don't bother trying to be a smart ass about what movies I may or may not have watched.[/quote]

Congratulations on being older than me, that must have taken a lot of work. If you don't want me to be a smart ass about what movies I may or may not have watched, don't be a smart ass to me about what movies I may or may not have watched. Unless you're one of those, 'do as I say not do as I do' kind of people.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    If you truly believe that the acting in Rebecca is better than the acting in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - then you need your head read.
    how do you define "better" or "worse" in acting? Seems like you mean "more realistic". But it's only one of the many colors on the palette. The acting in Rebecca is better, in fact, it is ideal, for a film like Rebecca. The acting in Black Adder is ideal for Black Adder, without being realistic for a moment.

I agree that Mattrick's analogy is not perfect, so I'll offer another: it's like accusing Marc Chagall of not using the same chiaroscuro as Leonardo da Vinci.
    Props for the Black Adder mention, Jean. Which reminds me: a rewatch of Goes Forth is in order soon, I think.
    Goes Forth is my favorite!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Mine too. And that ending is still so powerful. "Who'd notice a madman around here?"

- Melike

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They are comparable, then? Prometheus is about humans going across space trying to discover the origins of mankind, Avatar is about a soldier infiltrating an alien species using an avatar identity; Citizen Kane is about a wealthy newspaper publisher based on a real wealthy newspaper publisher named William Hearst (who was none to happy and tried to get the film outright banned): now, I haven't seen Citizen Kane so I guess I must not know about the alien planets and alien species and extended action sequences it has, which must be why they are so comparable.
    Posting such utter bollocks is just making you sound even more ignorant of the subject in question. If you had bothered to read my earlier post properly, instead of just flying off on some tangent about aliens and shit, you would have realised that I was referring to the fact that Citizen Kane favoured aesthetic photography and technical achievement (style) over narrative drive and storytelling (substance).

As Avatar and Prometheus were both criticised for sacrificing storytelling over visual effects and photography, both films can therefore be deemed comparable to Citizen Kane in terms of the on-going 'style vs substance' debate that continues to this very day.

Here look, I have even re-posted an excerpt from my earlier post for you....

Granted, there were some technical achievements pioneered within the film, but if the story is boring, everything else becomes irrelevant.

Basically, films such as Citizen Kane embody the exact same style vs substance debate that still rages to this very day, encapsulating it just as perfectly as every flashy film that chooses to let the cool new toys and tricks far outweigh any of the other considerations that make up a good movie - aka Avatar or Prometheus to name just two.
    Maybe if you actually watched Citizen Kane instead of posting smart ass comments and forcing ill-informed opinions down people's throats, you might be able to add something that is constructive to the conversation.

Sigh, obviously you don't understand the concept of hyperbole.
    I do understand the concept of hyperbole, but I also understand and recognise when someone is talking out of their ass on a subject they know very little about.

The last time I watched Cuckoo's Nest was about four or five years ago, I've also read the book. I don't own it so it's been a when I can kind of watch. And yes, I haven't seen it properly.
    My point exactly. You have just confirmed what was so obviously apparent.

I was a child genius
    FFS! LOL!

And technically, looking at his filmography, I've watched Spartacus and Marathon Man in addition to Rebecca, which means since you bet I haven't even seen two of his roles, when I've seen three, means you are wrong again.
    Wow! You've (maybe) watched 3 films starring Laurence Olivier. I'm impressed. No really, I am! LOL!

So what are you looking for here exactly? A medal? Personally, I like the way you suddenly pulled these two films from out of your ass when you earlier said "I am pretty sure Rebecca is the only film I've seen him in." Both Spartacus and Marathon Man are both very memorable films, so it seems very odd that you would forget that you watched them when posting that earlier comment.

I tell you what, if you can post a review of either Spartacus or Marathon Man on this forum, which include some personal insights into the movie and not something ripped off of the internet or from an old Roger Ebert review, I will gladly accept that you have watched and understood them. How's that?

However, I have watched both Spartacus and Marathon Man myself several times, so be aware that I will know if you attempt to rip something off from the internet.

All I did was cite PUBLIC OPINION which is therefore NOT MY OPINION. An analogy I can render is one we've discussed; Citizen Kane was at the top o the AFI film list forever until Vertigo (which I've seen) usurped it in 2012, now, if I were to say "Citizen Kane is considered by many people to be one of, if not the greatest, film ever made", does this mean I think I am an expert because I haven't seen it? No, I'm citing PUBLIC OPINION. Now if I said of said 'Laurence Olivier is the greatest actor of all time' or 'I think Olivier is the greatest actor of all time' you would have a case, but no, I clearly stated that opinion was not my opinion but PUBLIC OPINION, which it is.
    Again, my point exactly. Instead of having to rely on other people's opinion to make your point, why don't you actually watch some of these movies so you can develop your own original ideas?

You would certainly gain more respect if your posts weren't so vehemently opinionated on subjects you know nothing or very little about. Consistently relying on public opinion, what friends have told you or old Roger Ebert reviews to put your arguments across, only goes to highlight your lack of personal insight.

I am not going to continue to argue with you Mattrick, because quite frankly, I am bored with the situation and I have better things to do with my time. Goodbye and good luck!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You should use your time trying to find a clue. You know you've lost and your posts have that 'nails digging into a wooden floor' kind of vibe. You're the only one who thinks I'm some kind of cinema phony while a lot of the regular posters have known me for close to a decade and know I'm not. Good luck with your inane witch hunt! I'd go through your post and reply to each part but that would be as pointless as that wall's attempt to hold in Chief.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Was that a tv spot for Stallone's Judge Dredd movie?

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

<...>

Again, my point exactly. Instead of having to rely on other people's opinion to make your point, why don't you actually watch some of these movies so you can develop your own original ideas?

You would certainly gain more respect if your posts weren't so vehemently opinionated on subjects you know nothing or very little about. Consistently relying on public opinion, what friends have told you or old Roger Ebert reviews to put your arguments across, only goes to highlight your lack of personal insight.
    Are you sure you're talking about Mattrick here?... Sincerely, I would never have guessed.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4