Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please PICK TWO films to advance to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

17 60.71%
  • Donnie Darko

5 17.86%
  • Dredd

3 10.71%
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

6 21.43%
  • Starwars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

15 53.57%
  • Starship Troopers

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 3, Group E

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 3, Group E

Note:
    Please choose UP TO 2 films to advance to the next round!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! I got first comment LOL! LOL! LOL!

Easy choice for me:

Return of the Jedi
    Alien

Now take that shit to the bank! LOL!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Alien
    Donnie Darko
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Donnie Darko. I'm sure Alien is going to run away with this one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Alien and Dredd. Love Donnie Darko though, but yeah. Gotta vote for Dredd.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WTF! Donnie Darko is leading Return of the Jedi....

Okay, can someone please explain how the fuck Donnie Darko can be better than Return of the Jedi?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Return of the Jedi isn't really that great, and this is coming from a huge SW fan. Easily the weakest of the trilogy.

Voted for Alien and Starship Troopers.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm sorry, but regarding Return of the Jedi, just gotta have to quote one of my favourite Spaced moments:

"What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish! You don't complain about them!"
    "Yeah, but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like...fucking Shaft!"
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Donnie Darko got to a much deeper part of me that Return of the Jedi, Darko still resonates with me while Jedi was just fun and not that memorably, Jedi is much more of a shallow delight in my opinion

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Okay, can someone please explain how the fuck Donnie Darko can be better than Return of the Jedi?
    Because Donnie Darko is awesome and original. AS for Return of the Jedi...I'll let Hurley explain it:

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Return of the Jedi isn't really that great, and this is coming from a huge SW fan. Easily the weakest of the trilogy.

Voted for Alien and Starship Troopers.
    Ditto this. Same vote.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Went with Starship Troopers and Body Snatchers.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Because Donnie Darko is awesome and original. AS for Return of the Jedi...I'll let Hurley explain it:
    Apparently Miles didn't listen well enough; "Lost" didn't end up having the tidiest ending either.

Ewoks is just cover - real reason RotJ is unpopular is because people liked the bad guys.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Starship Troopers
    Jedi

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Ewoks is just cover - real reason RotJ is unpopular is because people liked the bad guys.
    Whaaa? You lost me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Whaaa? You lost me.
    I've heard complaints about Boba Fett's death scene on more than one occasion.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah! Gotcha.

You know, I can't ever recall the Fett thing bugging me that much. I mean, he was a very minor character in the grand scheme of things. I think he's just one of those characters that became much more popular than originally intended because of his great character design, and then went on to have his own comics and fan fiction etc., For those people, going back to revisit the films will always be a bitter sweet reminder of how anti climatic his end really is.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Whaaa? You lost me.
    I've heard complaints about Boba Fett's death scene on more than one occasion.
    Boba Fett? Death Scene? He got out that Sarlac to star in The Mandolorian Armour. Jedi just isn't that great. The Ewoks make the fearsome, indomitable Galactic Empire seem like the most inept military of all time, what we should fear we don't because Lucas wanted to whore himself out to merchandising to kids and make some extra coin. It's unpopular because it was like watching Lucas turn tricks for the first time. That and the twin dynamic which obviously wasn't thought of when Luke revelled in that incestuous kiss.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Plus Death Star No. 2 which just seemed tired at that point. And then it gets rebuild with the EXACT SAME VULNERABLE SPOT AS THE FIRST ONE. Inept military indeed.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Aaah, stop ruining my childhood.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Pay attention at least. Come on; when completed, second Death Star would not have been vulnerable. On being tired anyway, you have a point. Real weapons get produced repeatedly, but movies need more novelty.

2. Twins. Ok, a bit lame. But it does fit the line in Empire "There is another." and Leia receiving Luke's telepathic S.O.S. at the end.

3. Watch "Making of the Ewok Adventure" and then tell me again that Lucas didn't sincerely love the damn things; I defy you. He may have been wrong, he may have been the only one, but there it is.

4. Besides, did you say "first time"?! Dude, I already had action figures for every alien with even one second in the cantina. He started looong before, and he didn't have to make them cute for money. An army of worms with different worm costumes would have sold a million.

Country
    Country Flag

It's very good to see that Alien and Return of the Jedi are firmly back in the lead...

Indeed, that should be the natural order of things!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

3. Watch "Making of the Ewok Adventure" and then tell me again that Lucas didn't sincerely love the damn things; I defy you. He may have been wrong, he may have been the only one, but there it is.
    Michael Bay loves the hell of Transformers, doesn't mean the movies still aren't four turds in a little row.

4. Besides, did you say "first time"?! Dude, I already had action figures for every alien with even one second in the cantina. He started looong before, and he didn't have to make them cute for money. An army of worms with different worm costumes would have sold a million.
    There's a big difference between merchandising and merchandising expressly for kids. Lucus realised the only demographic he really didn't have locked down was the 4-12 year olds so he invented the Ewoks. Why shouldn't he love the Ewoks? They made him shitloads of money and spawned spinoffs. Jar Jar Binks was intended to be Ewok 2.0 but instead took the annoyingness of every Ewok and combined it into one lanky creature that killed Ahmed Best's career before it even got started. Future merchandising is never a reason to make your movies a certain way. I can't see the Cantina aliens having been created for the sole purpose of action figure sales and was more of a let's sell what we can while we can, as opposed to spending 1/4 of a film on furry marketeers.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah no shit he loved the Ewoks, they helped him make a down payment on that beach house he always wanted

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In the first draft, underestimating the Wookiees was what ended the Empire. Lucas just liked them so much that he had to put one in the first movie even if it meant giving them tech knowledge. Reverse the syllables Ee-wook. That's where they came from. That early. And I know that there was already a lock on 4-12 year olds cause I was there. I went to the first movie at, you guessed it, age 4. Was Lucas thinking of marketing when he made it? Maybe not... but it was Lucas himself who launched and built that business immediately afterward. I'm not trying to argue that the sincere-love-of-story part unquestionably redeems the industry-model-directly-traceable to Transformers 4. I'm only saying that drawing the line just after the first two movies is nonsense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast