10 35.71%

8 28.57%
  • Escape From New York

3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3 Group C

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Inception and Robocop were my two votes. Obviously, out of the two, I prefer Robocop, but I love Inception a lot for combining the genres of science fiction, action and heist movies and present something incredibly different with it and giving us so many more Leondardo Di Caprio memes to abuse the brilliant actor with. ("Exclusion" is probably still my favourite.)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Also, I don't believe I have beginnings to my dreams either. They just start wherever they feel like it. I think my dream self knows where they began but, as the dreamer, I don't know.
    That's the difference between dreaming and lucid dreaming. When you lucid dream there is no dream self, only yourself. When you lucid dream your dream experiences become your experiences and your memories. I lucid dream every time I fall asleep and have memories from thousands of dreams, dating all the way back to when I was three years old.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle
    Much about the future society surrounding Inception is left to viewers' imaginations. Doesn't make me like it any less.
    I don't remember there being any indication it even takes place in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito
    If there's one criticism leveled at Nolan it's that the characters in his films are usually just cyphers in his intellectual puzzles. Faces of a rubix cube, if you will.

In Inception's case that's not a problem because the film itself is structured like a puzzle. The cyphers exist in service to the story and theme(s). Like Mike mentioned, Inception is at its core a blockbuster. What that means is that the ratio of grand spectacle to lengthy exposition will be tipped in favor of the former. In the same way you wouldn't expect visual heavy set pieces from a 'French indie film', you'll be hard pressed to find sumptuous dialogue in a big budget film, it's simply the nature of things.
    I suppose that makes sense why I like Inception the least, I must not be a fan of his writing because it's the only film he wrote by himself. I don't see the puzzle aspect of the film because there really isn't too much to solve as there are only three possibilities. My point is that for a film that tries really hard to make it a character piece about Cobb aside from the blockbuster stuff, it doesn't do a very good job at it.

Matt tbh I'm a little surprised to hear you say that you found nothing on repeated viewings. I've always taken you as someone that can easily detect things not viewable from the surface...or is this one of those times you're being a contrarian on purpose? Lol. There is a shitload of things to discover upon repeated viewings. Some of them blunt, others are cleverly embedded
    I saw most of it the first and second time through. And once I saw what the film had to offer it just really bored me the third time through. Effects are cool but once that novelty is gone I see there being nothing else there to bring me back.

To me, Inception isn't so much about the nature of reality, but whether it ultimately matters in the end if you're happy. One of Nolan's favorite themes to explore is the notion of people ignoring the facts or outright lying to themselves safeguard their fragile sense of happiness (see Memento).
    You misread Memento if you think that was it's main theme, when it was
    Spoiler:
    Leonard Shelby needing a reason to exist. Nothing to do with happiness. His life is already a blur but if he didn't have his wife's life to avenge there would be nothing tying him down to reality and he would essentially be a ghost, which he already kind of is. But considering his last memory will always be his wife dying I don't think he has any happiness to be had; if he reminded himself 400 times a day he'd already killed John G he'd have to remind himself 400 times a day that he's already killed him, despite the rage and sadness of his wife's death permanently fresh in his mind.
    [/quote]

Get better friends.
    I think some of my friends knowledge about film would intimidate you...it intimidates me lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we are right on topic. We are discussing a film that is in the poll.

Like I said before, there is a lot going on in Inception, you are correct in stating that there are many themes that are glossed over and that they could have gone deeper with. I agree. I still feel that the questions are asked and the setup is there for the viewer to come up with their own thoughts on a theme or situation. I remember having tons of conversations with people after I saw Inception about dreams and reality.

Kind of like Path said, much is left to the imagination but that doesn't mean the seed of a thought isn't there. I understand what you're saying, it shouldn't be left up to the viewer to interpret everything that went on in the movie.

Also, I'm certainly not saying every blockbuster should be devoid of thoughtful themes, I'm just saying that sometimes sacrifices have to be made. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stuff you yearn for was left on the cutting room floor. I'd also add that I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan was asked to "dumb" the film down for mainstream audiences.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I assume you both finished TDT, so what do your theories here do to that story? The reader was definitely asked to fill in the "Blanks". Just curious is all. Would they change if it was a film true to the book?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I assume you both finished TDT, so what do your theories here do to that story? The reader was definitely asked to fill in the "Blanks". Just curious is all. Would they change if it was a film true to the book?
    showthread.That-Thing-You-Can-Only-Talk-About-If-You-ve-Finished-the-Series
    Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle
    Much about the future society surrounding Inception is left to viewers' imaginations. Doesn't make me like it any less.
    I don't remember there being any indication it even takes place in the future.
    EAMES: They come here every day to sleep?
    ELDERLY BALD MAN: No. They come to be woken up... the dream has become their reality... And who are you to say otherwise?
    It's a subtle dystopia. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    it shouldn't be left up to the viewer to interpret everything that went on in the movie.
    You don't need to apologize for what made Nolan's work atypical.

I don't see the puzzle aspect of the film because there really isn't too much to solve as there are only three possibilities.
    The puzzle is the plot. People who don't like movies that are hard to follow will obviously not be too attracted. But "how's this all work?" is a very appropriate tone in science fiction.

My point is that for a film that tries really hard to make it a character piece about Cobb aside from the blockbuster stuff, it doesn't do a very good job at it.
    It's funny how people don't focus on Fischer, even though so much footage did. That's one of the side effects of the weird way this filmmaker approaches his storytelling. You know when you watch a magician perform that what your eye is directed toward deliberately is not what's important. Except that if you look for the trick, you might not see the magic. So artistic levels make it important after all. As I've pointed out before on this website, this is a story of a man who, through corrupt deals, earns his parenting back by professionally undermining the parentage of another man. It's about insecurity and the nature of untruth. He sacrificed too much. It does a very good job at subverting our sympathies. You feel for Cobb in his desperation, but it's the immorality of the whole business that has stuck with me.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing later today, but looks like Robocop and Inception will be moving on.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Great discussion, you guys. Love it.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just want to clear something up. The quote that Path chose of mine was not the full sentence. I said, "I understand what you're saying, it shouldn't be left up to the viewer to interpret everything that went on in the movie."

I was just summarizing what I thought Matt was getting at.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just want to clear something up. The quote that Path chose of mine was not the full sentence. I said, "I understand what you're saying, it shouldn't be left up to the viewer to interpret everything that went on in the movie."

Oh. My mistake. So you didn't buy into that premise any more than I.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Oh. My mistake. So you didn't buy into that premise any more than I.
    Nope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2