• Somewhere in Time

4 14.29%
  • Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

19 67.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 2 Group J

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will have to re-watch it to give a real answer. I just remember loving it, and not being bored for a second. Being conventional doesn't necessarily mean bad, especially not when we're talking about genre movies.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Mimic is a great monster film. I love the claustrophobic, otherworldly setting. Seeing characters fighting for their lives and looking up and not just seeing sunlight but people walking around and going about their day and the old, abandoned subways tunnels and stations, it's like a forgotten world out of the past. In my eyes there are only two things a monster movie needs to be successful: an interesting, original monster (which mimic had) and a unique setting, the fact that it was compentently directed by Guillermo Del Toro and competently acted by Mira Sorvino, Jeremy Northam, Josh Brolin and the always awesome Charles S. Dutton is just a bonus that takes it from above average to very good.

The Relic is still my favourite monster movie from the 90's, with mimic at a very close second or third.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

A good monster movie should also have some surprises. Somewhere. At some point.

I agree with competently directed. And the performances were adequate. The editing was acceptable. It is a movie and you can watch it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    A good monster movie should also have some surprises. Somewhere. At some point.

I agree with competently directed. And the performances were adequate. The editing was acceptable. It is a movie and you can watch it.
    It's more than can be said of the great majority of our nomimants. Moreover, I remember being really moved by the ending (my being a Catholic might have something to do with this, of course; then, I always love the idea of a groundless hope fulfilled against hope and all reason). I absolutely loved the boy with the shoes, and, come to think of it, quite a lot of moments. For some reason, I took them closer to heart than similar moments in other similar films, and it must say something about the quality of the movie. (well, at least for me)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I give you the boy with the shoes. There's some nice character business. Though they didn't so deeply affect me as that.

However, I don't think the ending was particularly religious. It's expected. For me to be moved by hope against hope, I will read Stephen King.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, and a number of other authors, as well as a number of other films... they are not in the way of one another

for the RC part, I referred mainly to that

Spoiler:
    rosary, when she hugs him in the end.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    they are not in the way of one another
    Of course not. I just meant that I know the feeling and I didn't get it. But maybe that's just me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2