Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2376

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I won't be watching any Superhero shows. If someone tells me a Superhero show is on the level of Sopranos or Breaking Bad, I'll look into it. 2 hours or so for a movie once a year a year is enough for me. I surely don't need to watch 40 hours+ a year of Superhero stuff. I didn't watch Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl, The Flash, The Defenders (or whatever it was), Legion, whatever others I missed. I have less reason to watch these because screw Disney. They've gotten like 35 dollars from me in the past 10 years, and I consider that to be far too much.

I'm hoping Phase 5 is better than what's coming up, because it looks like an MCU void to me. I'd check out Thor after Ragnarok, but Natalie Portman as Thor? BORING.
    So they got $35 from you... yet you seen all the Marvel movies? And why the hate? Honestly?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't be watching any Superhero shows. If someone tells me a Superhero show is on the level of Sopranos or Breaking Bad, I'll look into it. 2 hours or so for a movie once a year a year is enough for me. I surely don't need to watch 40 hours+ a year of Superhero stuff. I didn't watch Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl, The Flash, The Defenders (or whatever it was), Legion, whatever others I missed. I have less reason to watch these because screw Disney. They've gotten like 35 dollars from me in the past 10 years, and I consider that to be far too much.

I'm hoping Phase 5 is better than what's coming up, because it looks like an MCU void to me. I'd check out Thor after Ragnarok, but Natalie Portman as Thor? BORING.
    Ok so here's the thing. As much as I love Superhero stuff (and ya'll know I do) - I try to watch as little Superhero shows as possible because A} they're formulaic, and B} there is much, much better television out there. The films are great because they're more of an event and are a smaller time commitment, the time that is spent is used getting to the good stuff, not drawing out melodrama for cardboard characters across 8-10 episodes.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Ok so here's the thing. As much as I love Superhero stuff (and ya'll know I do) - I try to watch as little Superhero shows as possible because A} they're formulaic, and B} there is much, much better television out there. The films are great because they're more of an event and are a smaller time commitment, that time that is spent is used getting to the good stuff, not drawing out melodrama for 8-10 episodes.
    For the most part I agree with you for most of those shows, and I watch most of them. But I think a lot people write some of them off because they are super hero shows. Personal I feel like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Legion, and The Boys are among the best of tv that's been made in the time they've been out. Also I don't even really think Legion can be classified as a super hero show, that show just happens to be about people with super powers.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Jessica Jones and The Boys were great. I gave up on Daredevil and am planning on giving legion a watch at some point.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    I thought Jessica Jones and The Boys were great. I gave up on Daredevil and am planning on giving legion a watch at some point.
    Daredevil season 2 was a bit of a let down, but season 3 was maybe the single best season of any of the Netflix Marvel shows.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

THE BOYS. That is the best comic hero TV I have ever seen.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yea it's super good. I can't wait for season 2. Also that reminds me, I can't believe I forgot about The Tick on Amazon as well. That's also super good, totally different than all of the rest of these shows though.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Yea it's super good. I can't wait for season 2. Also that reminds me, I can't believe I forgot about The Tick on Amazon as well. That's also super good, totally different than all of the rest of these shows though.
    Agree on the tick. I was disappointed they cancelled it.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I watch allllll the superhero shows, and honestly enjoy every one of them. If you're looking to limit your hero intake, I heartily second the votes for Legion, Daredevil, and The Boys. They may be superhero shows, but they're far from formulaic. Daredevil and Legion are two of my very favorite shows. Also, Preacher (though that's hardly a heroic show even though it's based on a comic book).

Personally, I enjoy Agents of SHIELD a lot -- if you can get through s1-A (which ended up piecemeal and suffering deeply because the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier forced hurried rewrites), it's good fun. It's cornier than the shows above, but it's not like Batman 60's corny.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Agree on the tick. I was disappointed they cancelled it.
    Huh I missed that news. That's unfortunate, but not surprising really. It's a weird show and I can understand why it might not pull the numbers required to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    I watch allllll the superhero shows, and honestly enjoy every one of them. If you're looking to limit your hero intake, I heartily second the votes for Legion, Daredevil, and The Boys. They may be superhero shows, but they're far from formulaic. Daredevil and Legion are two of my very favorite shows. Also, Preacher (though that's hardly a heroic show even though it's based on a comic book).

Personally, I enjoy Agents of SHIELD a lot -- if you can get through s1-A (which ended up piecemeal and suffering deeply because the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier forced hurried rewrites), it's good fun. It's cornier than the shows above, but it's not like Batman 60's corny.
    I agree about Shield, I like that show a lot, but mostly it is sorta just kinda a good twist on your run of the mill network tv stuff though. I used to really like the CW shows, but the longer I watch them the more I don't like them. Like how many times can The Flash screw up in the exact same way and have everyone forgive him...

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Ugh, yeah, DCTV is pretty awful.

I enjoy Gotham and Pennyworth has been good so far, but the rest is a hard pass.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally got to watch the first 2 episodes last night, and wow. The dark humor is right up my alley, and I can only imagine how much more fucked up it's about to get. Karl Urban is a standout too, but then again when is he not?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    I finally got to watch the first 2 episodes last night, and wow. The dark humor is right up my alley, and I can only imagine how much more fucked up it's about to get. Karl Urban is a standout too, but then again when is he not?
    It gets so much more crazy, LOL love it!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work then. I'm curious if anybody here has read the source material it's based on? From what I understand , the show has changed up quite a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

Country
    Country Flag

Well I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home from work then. I'm curious if anybody here has read the source material it's based on? From what I understand , the show has changed up quite a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing
    I didn't read the comics, just some background stuff. There were changes to the show and I don't think its to the detriment of the show.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I didn't read the comics, just some background stuff. There were changes to the show and I don't think its to the detriment of the show.
    Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe! But The Boys is a short series of 72 issues, I will probably try to read it someday.

(One more thing though, Amazon put out a promo calendar for The Boys featuring The Deep and it is hilarious, I need one!)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe!
    Hey, I'm a peaceful villain!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So they got $35 from you... yet you seen all the Marvel movies? And why the hate? Honestly?

I've only seen about half the Marvel movies. Usually on Netflix, which I don't pay for. Most of them are just okay, certainly not worth paying for. Only ones I paid for are Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War/Endgame. I don't own a single one, but I do want to pick up The Winter Soldier, easily the best of the MCU.

In the past decade the only Disney movies I'd paid for are those three MCU movies, The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, which were both at matinee prices. I don't support Disney. I've spent more money on X-Men movies than Disney in that same time period, I think.

The only comic property I support is The Walking Dead, but there also aren't any super powers in it. Super powers are pretty dull to me.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only seen about half the Marvel movies. Usually on Netflix, which I don't pay for. Most of them are just okay, certainly not worth paying for. Only ones I paid for are Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War/Endgame. I don't own a single one, but I do want to pick up The Winter Soldier, easily the best of the MCU.

In the past decade the only Disney movies I'd paid for are those three MCU movies, The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, which were both at matinee prices. I don't support Disney. I've spent more money on X-Men movies than Disney in that same time period, I think.

The only comic property I support is The Walking Dead, but there also aren't any super powers in it. Super powers are pretty dull to me.
    Wow. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. "Hey bro did you see the new Avengers movie? Man that shit was sick." "No. I don't subscribe to Disney's imperialistic musings of world domination."

All kidding aside tho, if Superhero things aren't your thing, then I guess it's just not your thing. Although I will say that it's a little myopic to paint everything with the same brush because there are some truly good to Great superhero films out there. Super powers are just facilitators to tell high-concept sagas. It's no different than Star Wars and Jedi/Sith abilities, or Lord of the Rings with wraiths, wizards, demons, magic etc.,

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also Matt, check out this interview with Todd Philips, whose directing Joker. I think it might alleviate some of your fears about the film and could potentially entice you to go and watch it. I think this will be another mold-breaking CBM.

In ‘Joker’ the stakes are life and death, and comic-book movies may never be the same

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Same here but it's not Marvel so we better get back on topic or Thanos will give us a pounding like you wouldn't believe!
    Hey, I'm a peaceful villain!
    (comes out from behind chair)

Why yes, mae, you are most glorious and simply magnificent in your grandeur and I bow before it. Nothing to worry about....

(runs back behind chair)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm pretty much right in the middle when it comes to superhero movies or TV shows. I know nothing about the source material (or at least, I haven't read any of it), so I see them as entertaining and fun, but largely forgettable.

I think the MCU is an amazing achievement in succeeding (largely) in what it set out to do, and I think it will be remembered in retrospect for its spectacle and the scope of that ambition. But will the individual movies continue to be held up as examples of great movies? I doubt it. Personally, I've rarely had any desire to go back and rewatch them. Similarly with the TV shows - I've only seen a few of the series, and they are entertaining and fun, but not at the top of my list of "great TV". Jessica Jones and Daredevil come close - I think the early seasons, in particular, were really solid - but I will probably never rewatch them.

I'm probably an outlier, admittedly, in that I've never really been invested in Marvel as a franchise.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Wow. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. "Hey bro did you see the new Avengers movie? Man that shit was sick." "No. I don't subscribe to Disney's imperialistic musings of world domination."

All kidding aside tho, if Superhero things aren't your thing, then I guess it's just not your thing. Although I will say that it's a little myopic to paint everything with the same brush because there are some truly good to Great superhero films out there. Super powers are just facilitators to tell high-concept sagas. It's no different than Star Wars and Jedi/Sith abilities, or Lord of the Rings with wraiths, wizards, demons, magic etc.,
    I enjoyed the last two Avengers movies and both Guardians films. Ragnarok was worth a watch. I write enjoyed Homecoming. The rest is pretty meh. There are some good superhero movies for sure, but most of them are just okay at best for me. I liked Thor Ragnarok, but I'll never watch it again, like most of the MCU I've seen. The movies coming out just hold no interest for me. Maybe they'll be good, but I'll watch for free.

I'm just not big on Fantasy stuff. It doesn't really interest me. Lord of the Rings is great because of his well it's made. I don't care about the lore at all. I think most superhero and fantasy stuff fails at telling a good story with good characters and over-relies on lore and world building and special powers, which I don't care about. I like Batman because Bruce Wayne is a fascinating character. Most comic book stuff loses me on character and meaning and it ends being being a lot of sound and colors with dialogue, and it goes in one ear and out the other.

I can't get excited for Joker because it's DC and they're going to need to make several good movies after the junk they've made if they expect me to care. If I hear good things I'll watch it for free eventually.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 96 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast