Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films that deserve to move on to the next round!

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sphere

10 33.33%
  • The Thing From Another World

7 23.33%
  • The Jacket

3 10.00%
  • The Fifth Element

17 56.67%
  • Escape From New York

16 53.33%
  • Rollerball

3 10.00%
  • Kin-Dza-Dza

2 6.67%
  • Minority Report

20 66.67%
  • Independence Day

22 73.33%

8 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group P

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And it satirizes violence by exploiting it gratituitously. Demolition Man satirizes violence by showing a bubbly world where it's been all but eradicated (as well as sex, drinking etc.) where violence is all that ends being able to save it. Both are B-movies that have some very similarly aimed satire in them.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    So if Robocop is an arthouse film it does have a high degree of craft and aesthetic ingenuity while also having a primary interest of exploitation. Robocop being a B-movie isn't an insult, that's just what it is.
    I tend to think RoboCop's primary intent is satirizing consumerism and violence.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's slighty hypocritical in that. Not as badly as The Running Man movie, but I think they still primarily wanted to sell tickets.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Well, I don't realy blog or record standardized grades on a consistent basis. I kind of just threw those out as metaphor of a slightly more systemized version of Jean's boredometer. Offhand, I do think I liked MR less, but that one I might be persuaded to watch again.
    Actually, quite a few critics enjoyed Independence Day. Using the small sample size of Rotten Tomatoes, Independence Day has 60% fresh reviews. That's not that bad.
    I'm not sure how your comment relates to the part of conversation you replied to. Maybe I didn't come across right -- do you think the reason I said that I might be persuaded to watch MR again is that Mattrick quoted a critic who liked it? It's not that simple. Actually, I remember ideas in that film that I believe I would enjoy discussing further, even though I think that there were some logic problems in how it was carried out dramatically. As for ID4, however, I remember the ideas there, too, only too well; the central moral is that diplomacy is foolish and nuclear bombs are the best and most satisfying way to solve problems, as well as that the U.S. would sure be lucky to have a fighter pilot president in a crisis. So of course it's popular. But all I can say, I guess, is that I myself despise Independence Day and The Fifth Element. Two films I watched as a teen that bring back foul memories. I know many people disagree, but I don't care.
    I quoted the wrong post from you by mistake. This is the one I meant to quote:

If I have to be a conformist, I'd rather be trying to fit in with ID4 critics than with ID4 fans.
    The one where you called anybody who likes Independence Day a conformist.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Eagle one, Fox three.....

"I want you to look after this guy"!!!

As far as air battles go, it don't get much better than this!!! This movie was GREAT summer, Sci-Fi, fun!!! You can admit it, it's okay to enjoy this film even if you are a "Movie Critic". We won't tell!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I quoted the wrong post from you by mistake. This is the one I meant to quote:

The one where you called anybody who likes Independence Day a conformist.
    ... I love Independence Day and The Fifth Element. Two films I watched as a teen that bring back fond memories. I know many people disagree, but I don't care.
    If I have to be a conformist, I'd rather be trying to fit in with ID4 critics than with ID4 fans.
    You said you weren't going to change your position just to conform to people who don't like it, so I said that street goes both ways. Either anybody who doesn't like ID4 is a conformist and anybody who does like it is also a conformist, or else not everybody who likes it is just conforming AND not everybody who dislikes it is just conforming to others.

And when I said I'd rather be with the critics, I wasn't talking about professional critics necessarily; I just meant "critics" in the generic sense. Showing that many people (of whatever persuasion) happen to agree with you does not support an argument that conformity is not your own main motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ... You can admit it, it's okay to enjoy this film even if you are a "Movie Critic". We won't tell!!!
    I must be lying. The apparent fact that I have no reason to lie must be illusory. Secretly, I must feel the same way that you do. How self-righteous!

If you want to know, I'll tell you how I feel all the time: I don't know if you have ever had the same experience, but maybe you will be able to relate, maybe. Did you ever hear an annoying song you never liked played on the radio over and over until you want to scream... and then you hear Weird Al making fun of it, and you have to laugh in relief because a part of you is saying "Thank God I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that damn song is so stupid!" ...?

There was an old joke about some terrorists breaking into a rehearsal and taking captive Billy Ray Cyrus and one of his stagehands. The ransom was refused, so they decided to kill them. Finally, they asked if the men had any last requests. "Well," said Cyrus, "I guess I'd just like to play 'Achy Breaky Heart' one last time." The head terrorist said "Okay." and to the stagehand, "What about you? Any last request?"
    And he said, "Yeah. Please kill me first!"

That's how I feel about Independence Day! I have not always enjoyed it, secretly or otherwise: who enjoys groaning involuntarily and having to roll their eyes? Maybe I'm just pretending that I'm not exactly the same as you guys. I guess there's no way that I could prove I'm not... but what if some people really do feel differently? Did you ever think of that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5