Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films to move on to the next round!

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cloud Atlas

7 24.14%
  • Jacob's Ladder

11 37.93%
  • Gravity

12 41.38%
  • THX-1138

6 20.69%
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

15 51.72%
  • Pleasantville

5 17.24%
  • Paul

4 13.79%
  • War of the Worlds (1953)

15 51.72%
  • Dredd

11 37.93%
  • The Fly

22 75.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group N

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group N

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cloud Atlas
    Jacob's Ladder
    Dredd
    The Fly

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No votes from me this time.
    Some ok movies, but not special enough to move on to round 2.
    And Gravity is not science fiction!

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    No votes from me this time.
    Some ok movies, but not special enough to move on to round 2.
    And Gravity is not science fiction!

sk
    Really? Not even The Day the Earth Stood Still? An undisputed classic of sci-fi.

I'd consider Gravity sci-fi (the whole
    Spoiler:
    Clooney
    thing).

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I almost gave it my vote, but as I haven't seen this movie, I'll have to give it a pass.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Voting for:

Cloud Atlas
    Gravity
    THX-1138
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Pleasantville
    The Fly

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    I almost gave it my vote, but as I haven't seen this movie, I'll have to give it a pass.

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For all of the unwarranted hate it received, Cloud Atlas is actually a fairly solid sci fi film.

Dredd is amazing. Please don't confuse it with that baked turd starring Stallone. This film is a dark, gritty and faithful recreation of it's source material. One of my favorite films of 2012.

The Fly is just exceptional. One of Cronenberg's best.

Country
    Country Flag

How about that fucking epic Cloud Atlas trailer!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I probably would even have voted for The Fly (1958.)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Day The Earth Stood Still.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

That's it? What about THX-1138, for instance?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    For all of the unwarranted hate it received, Cloud Atlas is actually a fairly solid sci fi film.

Dredd is amazing. Please don't confuse it with that baked turd starring Stallone. This film is a dark, gritty and faithful recreation of it's source material. One of my favorite films of 2012.

The Fly is just exceptional. One of Cronenberg's best.
    The Fly and even Cloud Atlas are definitely movies I still have to see. Dredd and Gravity of course will get my votes, but I'd like to get a wider idea of most of the other films before voting (I know it's up to 6, but I'd still like to vote at least 3 or more on each round).

Oh, and Fernando: cheers bro for stating in just a couple of sentences why Dredd is so fucking awesome.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    That's it? What about THX-1138, for instance?
    Never saw it. Gravity isn't sci-fi imo, I liked Jacob's Ladder but didn't love it and haven't seen the rest. The Day The Earth Stood Still I caught late one night on AMC (think it was when the Keanu laced turd of a remake was coming out) and I was mesmerised by it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish more people would watch Cloud Atlas. I truly believe that 30 years from now when we do another tournament we will be telling people to go back and watch this forgotten gem called Cloud Atlas.

I love Gravity and I love Ricky, but I just can't vote for it here.

I fear for the lives of anybody that doesn't vote for Dredd. James is watching.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I love Gravity and I love Ricky, but I just can't vote for it here.
    That's okay. We can still be friends.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

THX needs more love. Best movie George Lucas ever made.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll hang my head in shame now because I still haven't seen it.

We might bicker over what movies we think are "better", which are s.f. and which are not but the upside of this tournament is that now I have a lot of great ideas on what to watch next.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I forgot to vote for Cloud Atlas. Can the powers that be add one vote to the tally? That would be my 6th in this group. Thanks

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Oh, I forgot to vote for Cloud Atlas. Can the powers that be add one vote to the tally? That would be my 6th in this group. Thanks
    Done.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dredd should be doing better.

Cloud Atlas is an underrated film, but it is still a better book. My only problem is I haven't seen Gravity. I don't know how good it is, I don't know if it's sci-fi... so maybe I was not exactly right in my six choices here.

But I can't believe there is uncertainty about Dredd. I think more people need to watch it.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I’ve only seen two movies in this bracket and I can only vote for one.

The Fly.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

What was the other one?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    But I can't believe there is uncertainty about Dredd. I think more people need to watch it.
    You can't blame people for the uncertainty, especially not when it's so ominously and closely associated with the train wreck that is Stallone's Dredd.

I think I can confidently say that those of us who have watched it endorse it effusively. It's a very brutal and stylistic sci fi film that begs to be experienced at least once.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast