Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films to move on to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic Planet

7 25.00%
  • The Arrival

7 25.00%
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

14 50.00%
  • When Worlds Collide

3 10.71%

16 57.14%
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

10 35.71%
  • Akira

8 28.57%
  • Tetsuo : The Iron Man

2 7.14%
  • Artificial Intelligence

17 60.71%
  • Metropolis

14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group M

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group M

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going here with:

Fantastic Planet
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Akira
    Artificial Intelligence
    Metropolis

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to wait until I watch the Arrival and Fantastic Planet til I vote on here, but the rest will definitely be

Eternal Sunshine
    Akira
    Artificial Intelligence

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure what to do. I really like Bill & Ted, but consider it a comedy. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the best movies of the last 10 years, but it's a romantic drama. Sure, both have science fiction elements but I'm not sure either qualifies as a "science fiction movie."

I shall ponder this.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

There is only a faint vestige of sci-fi in Eternal Sunshine, but it's just enough for me to vote for it. It's one of the most powerful film viewing experiences I've ever had. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship can relate to and learn from it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

There's plenty of sci-fi in Eternal Sunshine. It's more sci-fi than Clockwork Orange despite the lack of a dystopian society.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

More people should see Tetsuo, I mean how could you not be a little curious after that crazy trailer? That movie is bonkers and I love it!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    There's plenty of sci-fi in Eternal Sunshine. It's more sci-fi than Clockwork Orange despite the lack of a dystopian society.
    What's sci fi apart from the contraption/procedure?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think I'm going to wait to vote. I have yet to watch Metropolis.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    What's sci fi apart from the contraption/procedure?
    Well, the technology, how it's explained and the fact the proceedure is 80% of the film. It explores what such techonology could do and how addicting it can be as Mary says over the phone to a client, "You know you can't get the proceedure done twice in one month" and the concept that mankind would be happier if we could forget all the bad stuff that's happened to us, that affects negatively in the present. In the film we see the story of a couple who'd had each other erased from their memories (and their struggle to keep them as they are being erased, which is all pretty sci-fi as well) and
    Spoiler:
    once permanently erased the part that brought them together outside the mind brings them back together and so they can fall back into old patterns but once they remember they'd forgotten each other they remember how things will turn out (because of how they turned out before) and they call it a relationship before it gets to that point because mankind needs memory to learn, to not repeat the same mistakes that brought us pain and without those traumatic memories we can never grow, never change, never try to become better people
    . A big part of sci-fi is how technology affects us which is what Eternal Sunshine is all about, no?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough. Good point(s).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen the 153 minute original cut of Metropolis, but I'm giving it my sole vote. I will not drink the koolaid and vote for Avatar.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, I liked Avatar, but...I couldn't vote for it. It's great the first time you see it in 3D, but it definitely loses a lot of its charm after that. As for Bill & Ted, despite being a comedy film, it's still a great time travel movie - the final act of the film is a great example of showing the messiness of time travel done right. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind's use of science fiction, however small, shares a lot with my favourite science fiction movies - how a key idea within the genre of science fiction affects a few key characters on a number of levels. The way it focuses on memory in the same way that, say, Inception focused on dreams is a classic example of why I love the genre. And Akira, well...dark and fucked up as hell, but still such a huge influence on the genre. I don't love it quite as much as anything Ghost in the Shell related, but it's still a great scifi/anime film.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I'm not sure what to do. I really like Bill & Ted, but consider it a comedy. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the best movies of the last 10 years, but it's a romantic drama. Sure, both have science fiction elements but I'm not sure either qualifies as a "science fiction movie."

I shall ponder this.
    Not that it's the benchmark or anything, but I have a book that lists the Top 100 Sc-fi films of all time and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is in there.

Also, it pops up on almost ever list of Sci-fi films.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

The quiet masterpiece here is AI. Such a beautiful film.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The quiet masterpiece here is AI. Such a beautiful film.
    Yup. AI is one of those films that I was unsure about after watching it once. Then I went back years later and was able to fully realize its beauty.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved A.I when I saw it in theatres. Haven't watched it in a long time but it's underappreciated by most.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A.I.
    Metropolis

sk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Going to promote The Arrival a bit with some quotes from Ebert's review:

Quote Originally Posted by RogerEbert
    There is a shot when Zane's fiancee (Teri Polo) rolls to the edge of the big dish; at first, all we see is its vast white expanse, and then suddenly we see the earth below, spread out beneath her. The way the shot is constructed makes it into 10 seconds of just about perfect cinema. A lot of movies in this genre break down in the end into a simpleminded series of chases and fights. There are fights and chases in “The Arrival,” but they're generated by the plot and punctuated by revelations and possibilities, so that the movie keeps on thinking and doesn't go on automatic pilot. “The Arrival” fulfills one of the classic functions of science fiction, which is to take a current trend and extend it to a possible (and preferably alarming) future.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerEbert
    What I appreciated about “The Arrival” is that it stays with its thesis all the way to the end.

Country
    Country Flag

Need more love for Fantastic Planet. No way should Bill & Ted make it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't expecting Fantastic Planet to advance. One of the best films in the tournament but it's an obscure french animated film from the early 70's lol. I'm afraid whatever votes it gets is probably only a bi-product of my talking it up so much.

Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic Planet is great and I honestly expected it to do much better. I always assumed it was pretty well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I think I'm going to wait to vote. I have yet to watch Metropolis.
    Don't wait and watch it, it's great, one of the best films ever made, let alone sci-fi films.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I've never seen the 153 minute original cut of Metropolis, but I'm giving it my sole vote.
    Sadly, I don't think the version available for streaming on Netflix is the new "Complete" version, but I watched that in HD and it was awesome.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Bill and Ted has always been one of my favorite movies. I saw it when I was pretty young though and had no idea of the significance of them using a phone booth as their time travel machine.

Hell, I didn’t even know who George Carlin was at the time.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Fantastic Planet around '95. I mostly liked it, I think. To the best of my memory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast