Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films to move on to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956

19 67.86%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

20 71.43%
  • The Blob 1988

9 32.14%
  • Altered States

9 32.14%
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man

7 25.00%
  • Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

21 75.00%
  • Seconds

3 10.71%
  • The Abyss

21 75.00%
  • Barbarella

4 14.29%
  • Gattaca

12 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1 Group K

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! I think we have finally agreed on something.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Gattaca is a sci fi must.
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    One of the best sci-fi films of all time, hands down.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How many films (of each group) move on to round 2? If it's only 1, and Return of the Jedi (the worst of the Star Wars originals) beats 2001, my faith in this tournament will be severely shaken.......

sk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Top half moves if I'm not mistaken. Jedi isn't very good, can't believe it has this many votes.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Say what you like about the Ewoks, that's the movie that finally showed us the Emporer, finally showed us Jabba, finally let Lando do good stuff...

Quite a contrast between the emotional restraint of 2001 and the wild emotion of ACO, the other Kubrick-directed nominee.

I liked Altered States, really. Didn't like the ending so much, but it's still a better movie than the Blob 88.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    How many films (of each group) move on to round 2?
    Six films move on. I'm posting the winners from each group in the initial thread. Once the opening group stage finalizes I'll post a roadmap of the 'playoff' rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Say what you like about the Ewoks, that's the movie that finally showed us the Emperor, finally showed us Jabba, finally let Lando do good stuff...
    In all honesty I don't mind the Ewoks, and I like Ep. VI as a whole, I just feel it doesn't quite reach the high watermark of its predecessor. Having said that, Luke vs Vader and the latter's ultimate redemption is one of the series' most crucial moments.

Quite a contrast between the emotional restraint of 2001 and the wild emotion of ACO, the other Kubrick-directed nominee.
    You know, I've never drawn that contrast in my mind before now. Good call. Both films are an assault on the senses but at a very, very different tempo. Man, those are such great films. I don't know what we did as a species to deserve Kubrick but I'm so glad we did it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jedi has its worthwhile parts sure its just not nearly as good as it's predecessors. The best part of the it is Bib Fortuna, that guy rules. The bad outweighs the good or at least evens out. Phantom Menace has worthwhile parts just not enough and Episode 3 is about on par with Jedi, probably a little higher. Just hoping Jedi doesn't get too far because it's weaker than a lot of nominees.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Six slots available. I'll save further RotJ comparisons for later rounds - it clearly will get at least a little farther. The Blob/AS/Incredible Shrinking Man race is what worries me ATM.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Jedi has its worthwhile parts sure its just not nearly as good as it's predecessors. The best part of the it is Bib Fortuna, that guy rules. The bad outweighs the good or at least evens out. Phantom Menace has worthwhile parts just not enough and Episode 3 is about on par with Jedi, probably a little higher. Just hoping Jedi doesn't get too far because it's weaker than a lot of nominees.
    Oh c'mon Jedi has talking fish!! LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope the votes will be adjusted as per earlier request before being counted.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm just happy Gattaca is getting some love. I wasn't sure how many people saw that one.
    I hadn't seen Gattaca in years, and after seeing it mentioned it recently in one of the other threads I decided to revisit it. So glad I did. Now I can confidently vote for it throughout the rest of the tournament, regardless of what films it might go up against. Whatever shortcomings it might have stylistically, it more than makes up for in poignancy. A great fable about the power of the human spirit.
    I saw Gattaca in the theater when it first come out. Don't really recall enjoying it all that much. Should I go back and rewatch it?

And Ricky have you watched The Abyss yet?!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I know this wasn't directed at me but my vote is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I saw Gattaca in the theater when it first come out. Don't really recall enjoying it all that much. Should I go back and rewatch it?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No.

BUT. I made a list/set up DVR recordings of a lot of the ones in the tournament that I haven't seen. I won't be able to watch The Abyss by the time this poll closes, but will definitely get to it before the next round.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I third the motion. You have to really think about it to get it. It's that kind of film.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This poll actually has three of my Top 5 sci-fi movies of all time, I think: Gattaca, 2001, and The Abyss. All masterpieces of genius.

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like poll editing went a bit awry, hoping Jerome can fix it in time for the poll's closing. The Blob, Altered States, and The Incredible Shrinking Man should be tied at 9 at this time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I know this wasn't directed at me but my vote is yes.

Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I third the motion. You have to really think about it to get it. It's that kind of film.
    Well that's 3/3. I guess I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    No.

BUT. I made a list/set up DVR recordings of a lot of the ones in the tournament that I haven't seen. I won't be able to watch The Abyss by the time this poll closes, but will definitely get to it before the next round.
    You better! I need you to be able to vote for it in future rounds

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The following films are advancing to the next round

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    2001 : A Space Odyssey
    Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi
    The Abyss
    Gattaca

There will be a tie breaker between the following films for the final berth
    The Blob
    Altered States
    The Incredible Shrinking Man

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    The Abyss is On Demand for free, so I'm going to try and watch it before the poll closes.
    I believe HBO GO or MAX GO has it streaming in HD. Did you get a chance to watch it yet?
    Watched it today and I've got to say that I was pretty underwhelmed by it as a whole. I kind of figured I might be (I'm generally not a fan of underwater exploration movies). There were a couple of scenes that I enjoyed
    Spoiler:
    (Lindsey's drowning and resuscitation)
    and the last half hour, but overall I thought it was a pretty standard action/adventure/Sci-Fi movie.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I know.

First of all, I love underwater scenes, and with a whole movie taking place underwater is just bliss. Secondly, the aliens are pretty amazing-looking and the idea of aliens living on the ocean floor is really original and great. The score is one of the best ever. Acting is solid throughout. Great effects. And that descent into the abyss is just holy-crap awesome.

Yes, The Abyss, in my view, is the best sci-fi film ever made and one of the very best films of the 1980s.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No Cameron movie is pretty standard. The Abyss stands head and shoulders above most action/sf movies.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, guys. I would disagree. The aliens and effects may have been cool, but the characters were pretty forgettable. I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top of Sci-Fi films.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I, too, loved The Abyss. Top-5 sci-fi for me. I didn't find the characters forgettable at all. In fact, that's what bumped the movie up a notch for me--above just aliens and FX. The motivations and interactions between the husband/wife having relationship troubles, and the Michael Biehn character, especially. It made the move deeper and more "real" to me. Sure, some of the others were filling out stock roles, but with leads like that I thought it was a surprisingly deep movie (no pun intended).

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to watch it again. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I remember liking The Abyss but not being blown away by it, certainly not to put it in the Top of anything lists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast