Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films to move on to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956

19 67.86%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

20 71.43%
  • The Blob 1988

9 32.14%
  • Altered States

9 32.14%
  • The Incredible Shrinking Man

7 25.00%
  • Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

21 75.00%
  • Seconds

3 10.71%
  • The Abyss

21 75.00%
  • Barbarella

4 14.29%
  • Gattaca

12 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1 Group K

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1 Group K

Note: Although you can vote for a maximum of 6 films in the polls, it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to vote for 6. We encourage you to vote only on those you strongly feel deserve to move on to the next round.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

2001 : A Space Odyssey

The Blob (1988 )

Altered States

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi

Seconds

The Abyss

Barbarella

Gattaca
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Abyss (probably my personal top sci-fi film)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

2001 : A Space Odyssey (obviously)
    Gattaca
    Episode VI
    The Abyss

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Some amazing movies in this bracket!

Edit: I didn't realize this was the 1988 version of The Blob (Yes, I now see where it clearly states that in the poll). I haven't seen that version of the film so please delete my vote for it. Thanks.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't vote. Only seen two of them and I don't remember Gattaca well enough to vote for it and I cannot vote for Jedi...I'm with Hurley, the ewoks sucked dude.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Altered States (still having flashbacks on that movie), 2001 Space Odyssey, and The Abyss. Intentionally left out ROTJ, Sorry Mr. Lucas.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Can't vote. Only seen two of them and I don't remember Gattaca well enough to vote for it and I cannot vote for Jedi...I'm with Hurley, the ewoks sucked dude.
    You have to watch The Abyss and 2001, Matt.

Also, I've been meaning to mention how much I love those old movie posters. They really are classic and you just don't see them anymore.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

2001 is going to be the last Kubrick I watch. I have to watch Full Metal Jacket, Lolita and The Killing first. The Abyss my brother has owned on DVD for like a decade and half of that time it's been with my DVD's and I still haven't watched it...I actually wouldn't be surprised to see that it is still with my DVD's.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

2001 is going to be the last Kubrick I watch. I have to watch Full Metal Jacket, Lolita and The Killing first. The Abyss my brother has owned on DVD for like a decade and half of that time it's been with my DVD's and I still haven't watched it...I actually wouldn't be surprised to see that it is still with my DVD's.
    Full Metal Jacket and Lolita are my least favorite Kubrick movies but The Killing is essential!

Have you seen Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss, The Seafarers, Day of the Flight and the Flying Padre?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going with:

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Return of the Jedi
    Seconds
    The Abyss
    Gattaca

Country
    Country Flag

The Abyss and Gattaca should go very very far. The Abyss is one of my favorite movies of all time and the best sci-fi film ever made, bar none.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Some amazing movies in this bracket!

Edit: I didn't realize this was the 1988 version of The Blob (Yes, I now see where it clearly states that in the poll). I haven't seen that version of the film so please delete my vote for it. Thanks.
    I don't know why the remake was nominated instead of the classic original I would've voted for that.

Country
    Country Flag

How have you not seen some of these?? And don't watch The Abyss on DVD, the transfer is very sub-par by today's standards. It's being shown in HD on Cinemax, so a blu-ray edition should be out soon.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen Lolita, The Killing is classic and Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war films of all time. So many classic scenes. I'm sure you've seen/heard all the F. Lee Ermey scenes. My favorite scene is the "get some" scene. It truly captures the mental state of some of these soldiers and how for some of them there really was no coming back from that war.

Spoiler:
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

KUBRICK'S PATHS OF GLORY 1957 WILL KICK YOU'R ASS.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Agree with that, it's a far better war film than Full Metal Jacket

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    How have you not seen some of these?? And don't watch The Abyss on DVD, the transfer is very sub-par by today's standards. It's being shown in HD on Cinemax, so a blu-ray edition should be out soon.
    Because I've watched Paths of Glory too many times and I'm afraid I won't enjoy his any of his films as much as Paths of Glory...which is why I am saving The Killing and 2001 for last.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulThings
    If the ending doesn't kick even the toughest, coldest man into a steamy puddle of tears I would be surpised. If I had to pick my two favourite endings to every film I've seen it is: 1) Synecdoche, New York and 2) Paths of Glory and there isn't much separating their placements on that list.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2001: A Space Odyssey - (Hope to travel to the UK this Fall for the re-release...)
    The Abyss - Maybe Cameron's best movie
    The Incredible Shrinking Man
    Barbarella - Jane Fonda in the opening sequence alone is a reason to vote....LOVE this movie.

sk

Drop everything and watch The Abyss right now!

Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick is blowing my mind! Gattaca is superb and The Abyss should win this whole tourney.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Idk about that, I'd rank 2001 and Blade Runner both above The Abyss. Having said that however, I haven't seen the Abyss in years so maybe a rewatch is in order to determine where it stands exactly among my personal echelon.

Gattaca is an exceptional film. As far as profound, contemplative sci fi goes, you can't do much better.

I know 2001 is a scifi classic, but it's far from the easiest or funnest movie to watch. Maybe I should give it another viewing, it's been so long since I last saw it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is The Abyss really that good? The one with Ed Harris? It's been in my queue for forever but I just never got around to watching it. I heard that it wasn't that great, so I'm surprised you guys are so enthusiastic about it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't watched it in years and to be quite frank I remember liking it but not being blown away by it like so many here seem to be. However, I'm a firm believer that you view films in a very different light as you watch them throughout the years so I'll be giving it another whirl and see if my opinion on it changes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast