Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose SIX films to move on!

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Fountain

8 25.81%
  • Omega Man

8 25.81%
  • Children of Men

16 51.61%
  • The Thing

22 70.97%
  • Melancholia

7 22.58%
  • eXistenZ

7 22.58%
  • Twelve Monkeys

24 77.42%
  • Looper

14 45.16%
  • Serenity

12 38.71%
  • Despicable Me

4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group A

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well we are trying to decide the best film that's sci-fi so foremost we have to judge it on the filmic aspects (direction, acting, cinematography, score, script, etc) and not simply how science-fictiony it is. Melancholia has a rogue planet crashing into Earth, how is that not sci-fi!
    I’ve skipped voting for movies that I thought were pretty good simply because I didn’t believe they were sci-fi. I doubt I’m alone in that thinking either. It goes back to the argument of whether it’s actually a sci-fi movie or it’s a (insert genre) with some sci-fi elements. IMO, we have a few of the latter in this tourney.

I’ve seen about 5 mins of Melancholia. I happened to catch it in the middle while flipping channels. I’ve been meaning to check it out but just haven’t had the time.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, as we've discussed in the long nominations thread, where do you draw the line exactly? When does a film have enough sci-fi elements to qualify as a full-fledged sci-fi film? There are a couple of movies that made it into the 160 titles that certainly stretch the meaning of science fiction, but I don't think none is really out of place by a significant margin.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

There's only a few films that were nominated I really thought are out of place, Hugo being at the top of the list.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, but let's not rehash that again and take this poll off-topic

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I don’t think there is really a cut-and-dry definition of what is and what isn’t. Everyone has their own perspective. I think mine might be a little narrower than some others.

Although at least one of the movies I was referring to hasn’t gotten many votes at all. So I don’t feel so bad.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe a precise definition of science fiction is possible.
    I don't know what that is right now.
    I know I'm not comfortable for us with the commercial definition which includes all types of speculative movies and potentially even nodding acquaintances to the broadest genre, from documentary to pure plotless imaginative imagry, grouped just by what might be expected to sell to a particular audience base.
    This thread of course is not for debating the whole theory, but I think it's fine for individual voters to continue using individual judgment about what should not have qualified and good for as many as will to think about our ultimate end. Really, picking a Best Science Fiction Movie is neither the same as picking the best film the label can be applied to nor the same as picking the film the label can be applied to best.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I believe a precise definition of science fiction is possible.
    I don't know what that is right now.
    I know I'm not comfortable with the commercial definition which includes all types of speculative movies and potentially even nodding acquaintances to the broadest genre, from documentary to pure plotless imaginative imagry grouped just by what will sell to a particular audience base.
    This thread of course is not for debating the whole theory, but I think it's fine for individual voters to continue using individual judgment about what should not have qualified and good for as many as will to think about our ultimate end. Really, picking a Best Science Fiction Movie is neither the same as picking the best film the label can be applied to nor the same as picking a film the label can be applied to best.
    Eh??? That doesn't even make sense.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think if we found a great example of what science fiction is all about, that wouldn't be enough if it was only kind of good, and that finding a great movie that was only kind of sci-fi would also be a fail. It needs to be both iconic and artful. Is that clearer?

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing tomorrow, can't we get a bit more Melancholia love?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

If I had time to watch it first I would vote for it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    If I had time to watch it first I would vote for it.
    It's streaming on Netflix: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70184165?trkid=13752289

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This is closing tomorrow, can't we get a bit more Melancholia love?
    Just saw the votes and was going to say the same thing.

Just one more so it has a chance in a tie-breaker!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been in my queue for a few months but between watching my friends kids and leaving for my aunt's memorial tonight I have no time to watch it before the poll closes.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I liked it more than eXistenZ, so I would change my vote to give it a chance, but I'd rather just let The Fountain move on. That's a great movie, too.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Group is closing today!

Country
    Country Flag

Well, there goes Melancholia...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The following nominees will advance to the next round

Children of Men
    The Thing
    Twelve Monkeys
    Looper
    Serenity

There will be a tie breaker for the sixth berth between
    The Fountain
    Omega Man

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Damn, eXistenZ was so close

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Damn, eXistenZ was so close
    This was on last night. I caught it about a half-hour in. I watched for about 15 mins and it didn’t make any sense to me before I fell asleep.

It sounds interesting but it certainly looks like something I’d have to sit and watch from the beginning. Reading the Wiki entry about it, it sounds a little bit like the Matrix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4