Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you like to see repeat films? Read below first!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Repeated films are fine.

21 91.30%
  • No - I do not want to see films repeated.

2 8.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Planning to participate in the soon upcoming SCI-FI tournament? Get in here! (POLL)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm assuming Multiverse would include all parallel universe films whether it's actual parallel universes or something like Existenz with multiple layers of artificial reality.
    certainly; bears just tried to be concise

Perhaps we should make a short list of what we're looking for with a film for each as an example? Sci-Fi is so broad that even something like Limitless with Bradley Cooper can be considered science fiction even lacking everything we would considered to define sci-fi.
    or we could just discuss the nominations as we go

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll just back whatever, Bears go with.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

To me science fiction is anything that takes place out of what we consider to be normal, mostly in a technological sense. So say Splice/Frankenstein are like mad scientist movies that are both horror/sci-fi at once.

But to me what defines 'true sci-fi' as opposed to 'sci-fi' is the themes and the questions the film seeks to answer and/or explore. The Empire Strikes Back is a great sci-fi film but does it work much to answer the questions of life and the universe? Blade Runner for instance questions what makes human beings human and what makes identity identity. Dark City is a study on human interaction and how identity, social classes, profession, memories, experiences don't necessarily make us who we are because those things are changed for us every night. Fantastic Planet depicts human beings as insects and pests and forces us to both identity from with the Oms (humans) as physical siblings to us and the Drogs (aliens) as philosphical and mental siblings to us so that we might agree with both sides of the conflict. Minority Report considers the moral and ethical guidelines of policing to the point of punishing people for crimes they haven't even committed yet. Groundhog Day delves into the question 'what if' and being able to go back in time and correct mistakes, fix relationships or perhaps manipulate the future with knowledge of what is to come for personal benefit. Eternal Sunshine ponders the emotional weight of memories and whether or not it's in our nature to forget (or if it's in our nature to just make the same mistakes again) and if we had the technology to erase bad memories would erasing those memories be like erasing parts of ourselves? These are the sorts of films I hope do well in these touraments and not some special effects romp that may be fun but veil thin like Starship Troopers (As much as I love it).
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I'll just back whatever, Bears go with.
    that way lies madness

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

To me science fiction is anything that takes place out of what we consider to be normal, mostly in a technological sense. So say Splice/Frankenstein are like mad scientist movies that are both horror/sci-fi at once.

But to me what defines 'true sci-fi' as opposed to 'sci-fi' is the themes and the questions the film seeks to answer and/or explore. The Empire Strikes Back is a great sci-fi film but does it work much to answer the questions of life and the universe? Blade Runner for instance questions what makes human beings human and what makes identity identity. Dark City is a study on human interaction and how identity, social classes, profession, memories, experiences don't necessarily make us who we are because those things are changed for us every night. Fantastic Planet depicts human beings as insects and pests and forces us to both identity from with the Oms (humans) as physical siblings to us and the Drogs (aliens) as philosphical and mental siblings to us so that we might agree with both sides of the conflict. Minority Report considers the moral and ethical guidelines of policing to the point of punishing people for crimes they haven't even committed yet. These are the sorts of films I hope do well in these touraments and not some special effects romp that may be fun but veil thin.

I think you have to stay focused on the "Premise".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I am beginning to have that gnawing feeling that Inception will be the winner

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Very good nomination. An excellent film!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

But to me what defines 'true sci-fi' as opposed to 'sci-fi' is the themes and the questions the film seeks to answer and/or explore. The Empire Strikes Back is a great sci-fi film but does it work much to answer the questions of life and the universe? Blade Runner for instance questions what makes human beings human and what makes identity identity. Dark City is a study on human interaction and how identity, social classes, profession, memories, experiences don't necessarily make us who we are because those things are changed for us every night. Fantastic Planet depicts human beings as insects and pests and forces us to both identity from with the Oms (humans) as physical siblings to us and the Drogs (aliens) as philosphical and mental siblings to us so that we might agree with both sides of the conflict. Minority Report considers the moral and ethical guidelines of policing to the point of punishing people for crimes they haven't even committed yet. These are the sorts of films I hope do well in these touraments and not some special effects romp that may be fun but veil thin.

Those are the premises. The premises only exist because of the themes which is what sets sci-fi apart from other genres imo.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The Matrix was better...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are the premises. The premises only exist because of the themes which is what sets sci-fi apart from other genres imo.

Oh, now you are just going on to hear yourself talk. Sci-Fi is the premise and the underlying focus, no? Social issues and etc are a by product, Focus on the film from an entertainment perspective.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I am. I get very entertained by sci-fi films that force me to consider the world, life, humans, space and time in different ways. When sci-fi stories are conceived the stories are conceived around ideas and questions, they don't just happen to pop out of the story halfway through as a bi-product. Unless you're telling me that all the philosphy and religious subtext in The Matrix was an accident and all they really wanted some cool looking bullet time effects? Themes aren't accidents, they are the foundation in which our stories and films are built. The movie Aritificial Intelligence ponders what would happen if a robot were programmed to love; that is the premise and the central theme. You can break down just about every sci-fi film in such a way unless it is just entertainment sci-fi which doesn't care about expanding out minds but whipping them into SFX submission lol; the difference between The Day The Earth Stood Still and Independence Day.

How can you say Science Fiction is the premise then disagree with me? Science is about seeking answers and expanding mankind's knowledge and capabilities which means Science Fiction is designed to further such discussions or else it's just Fiction.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see a problem with it. I'm just happy we are doing another movie tournament so soon.

Most of this thread is worrying about horror films being lumped in with Sci-fi. The bigger question is fantasy films. Sci-fi/Fantasy often get paired together. For example, The Lord of the Rings. To me it's more fantasy, but some people would consider it Sci-fi.

I will start compiling my list now.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

The Lord of the Rings.. Fantasy.. Imaginative Fiction.. But NEVER have I EVER heard it called Science Fiction.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Who says Lord of the Rings is science fiction? There isn't even any electricity in Middle Earth! I think sci-fi/horror have a lot more common genetics when you think of films like Species/Splice/Virus/Alien/Fourth Kind/War of the Worlds...a screw it, it's a long ass list anyways lol. I can't think of any fantasy films I'd also consider sci-fi outside of Star Trek/Star Wars which share a lot of fantasy tropes.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

For me, proper S.F. examines "What if? questions and scenarios. I'm not necessarily looking to be entertained (although that's a huge plus); I want to have my interested piqued in a new idea. 1984 has no actual science in it at all, but to me that is a science fiction movie (and book) through and through. Ditto Fahrenheit or recently, Never Let Me Go.

Examples: I consider Foundation by Asimov science fiction. It's basically historical science fiction. Caves of Steele by Asimov, although set in space and features sophisticated AI, robots and life on another planet, is just a detective novel in a futuristic setting. Big difference and I think what Mattrick was talking about.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I never said The Lord of the Rings is Sci-fi. I said some people lump it in with Sci-fi. Meaning they put it in the Sci-fi/fantasy genre. My local movie store had a section that was Sci-fi/fantasy. Lord of the Rings was in that section and it always drove me crazy. I've seen places that put Sci-fi/fantasy together and I don't like it. That's all I was saying.

By the way, we may have to expand this tourney because I already have 30 Sci-fi films on my list and that was in 5 minutes.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just for those who still think I'm crazy. Check the movie info.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...n_of_the_king/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Alternate worlds, alien creatures, and etc. don't have to mean sci-fi -- all those can appear in fantasy as well. If a mystic being (wizard, angel, etc.) sends the hero back in time with magic, does that count?

HERE WE GO!

Spoiler:
    Is 1984 still Science Fiction.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mean to open up a can of worms. I just want to be clear that we are strictly sticking to Sci-fi and not fantasy. I figured it was assumed, but you never know.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In case you guys are interested, I have this book "101 Sci-fi Movies You have to See Before you Die." It's pretty good. I also have a Horror movie one, a Gangster one and a War movie one. My mom got them for me for Christmas a few years ago. They are all fun reads.

http://www.amazon.com/101-Sci-Fi-Mov...before+you+die

By the way, 1984 is in there.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

In honour of your avatar and the memory of a sweaty Emily Blunt doing push ups imprinted onto my retina, I'll nominate Edge of Tomorrow once the tournament starts.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Starship Troopers, which was mentioned a few posts back, is a much deeper film about fascism then it looks like at first glance.

SCIENCE FICTION?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I don't mean to open up a can of worms. I just want to be clear that we are strictly sticking to Sci-fi and not fantasy. I figured it was assumed, but you never know.
    It's just a little hard to tell the difference in some cases.

And while Spaceballs is clearly just a comedy about sci-fi, there are also sci-fi comedies - another line that's not easy to decide just where to draw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast