Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Corner & Old-Timers Inquiry

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrewMeister View Post
    When I sent these books in, Stephen King had been talking about how fanatical fans could be (not in a good way), and how that had been part of the inspiration for Misery. I had enclosed a note thanking him for signing my books, and I signed it something like "From your # 2 fan (I know how you feel about # 1)." Hence the reference on the Thinner inscription.

I too, was able to mail in two books for a signature by Sai King - way back when he was doing that! At the time I had very few King signatures; maybe two or three. Last year I sold all of my S/Ls due to money issues. I did manage, however, to keep all my first editions of which some are signed to me personally. The only two books that I kept that are other than First Editions are my Gift Editions of Insomnia (Zeizing) and Desperation (Grant). Here are their signature pages. Not sure why the one went sideways as I had turned it upright!

DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I fixed the picture orientation. Great signatures. Congratulations.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. Great signatures, guys.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, Bob!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Whatever happened to Bad Penny?
    Mark Twain

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Sold his collection and is leading a happy life (last time I heard...)

sk

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

sk
    Is that true? I've been under the impression he was sick and perhaps even passed. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Gunslinger Apprentice BrewMeister is just really nice BrewMeister is just really nice BrewMeister is just really nice BrewMeister is just really nice BrewMeister's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too, was able to mail in two books for a signature by Sai King - way back when he was doing that! At the time I had very few King signatures; maybe two or three. Last year I sold all of my S/Ls due to money issues. I did manage, however, to keep all my first editions of which some are signed to me personally. The only two books that I kept that are other than First Editions are my Gift Editions of Insomnia (Zeizing) and Desperation (Grant). Here are their signature pages.
    I'm glad you were able to keep those editions. S/Ls can be replaced, but we'll never get another chance to have books personally signed like these again!
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post

sk
    Is that true? I've been under the impression he was sick and perhaps even passed. I'd love to be wrong about that.
    That was my impression as well. In 2015, when I group of TDTers were at the Revival signing in Sarasota, I distinctly remember everyone taking a moment to think of Bad Penny as he was “close to the clearing at the end of the path”.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If that’s true about Bad Penny, I’m very sorry to hear it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed Patrick.
    I vaguely remember that he was sick, but had not heard that he may have passed.
    Mark Twain

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post

sk
    That was my impression as well. In 2015, when I group of TDTers were at the Revival signing in Sarasota, I distinctly remember everyone taking a moment to think of Bad Penny as he was “close to the clearing at the end of the path”.
    Yeah, we were fairly close, working on the HF alot, and though he never actually explicitly stated it to me, I got the distinct impression his time was short. He definitely wanted to avoid any outpouring of sympathy. His trip to Egypt was his "Bucket List". I really miss him as well. We had a lot of laughs together. he was a great guy.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

There is (AFAIK) no evidence that Bad Penny has passed.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there were other reasons that BP sold his collection.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe, but I definitely remember being at the lunch and David referring to BP as “entering the clearing”.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    There is (AFAIK) no evidence that Bad Penny has passed.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there were other reasons that BP sold his collection.
    I bought a lot of his stuff both from him directly and through David at Betts in the Great BadPenny Sell-off.

He told me personally in an email that he had pancreatic cancer. I've tried to find his obituary a few times though the years by doing basic internet searches, but to no avail.

I've heard twinges of rumors of other theories but I'm not sure where those came from or how much salt they hold, but anything's possible I guess.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it was a mystery. I bought from him and sold to him as well and never had other than a pleasant transaction.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know (and really cannot say more) that Bad Penny was not sick. He HAD to sell his collection to save his ass legally. I really cannot say more about it but it was nothing to do with being sick....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I know (and really cannot say more) that Bad Penny was not sick. He HAD to sell his collection to save his ass legally. I really cannot say more about it but it was nothing to do with being sick....
    That doesn’t make sense. David was in charge of selling his collection. At the lunch in Sarasota, he asked for a moment of silence for BP, and then alluded to his passing. Saying that you’re sick while selling your collection could be a cover story, but I don’t buy it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    That doesn’t make sense. David was in charge of selling his collection. At the lunch in Sarasota, he asked for a moment of silence for BP, and then alluded to his passing. Saying that you’re sick while selling your collection could be a cover story, but I don’t buy it.
    Not much more I can really say. But that is not the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Saying that you’re sick while selling your collection could be a cover story, but I don’t buy it.
    It's not important that you "buy it", but it is the truth.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BP was not sick. He embezzled. When caught, he had to sell his collection to begin restitution. Time for truths to be told.

Traveler furrykids will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone! It seems like a lifetime since I last posted on here. I was just talking to my kid about our Stephen King collecting days 28 yrs ago, and today I get a msg from this forum! I miss it all, scouring used book stores for gems sellers were not aware were valuable (that ended when the WWW opened to everyone), the early SKEMERS, the newsgroups, all my old friends, and of course, most of our collection we had to sell (still have the Castlerock newsletters, the signed limited box edition of The Stand, and some other cool stuff). Any of my generation old timers left?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    BP was not sick. He embezzled. When caught, he had to sell his collection to begin restitution. Time for truths to be told.
    Why all the subterfuge? I’m assuming this was public information.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Wow, I helped BP sell off part of his non-King collection and he lied to me as well. I don't regret doing it and still have the books I bought from him but wow

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guess we should have known that he was indeed a bad penny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 LastLast