Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How often do you re-read books?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

17 29.82%
  • Sometimes

24 42.11%
  • Rarely

14 24.56%
  • Never

2 3.51%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you re-read books?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I re-read Cujo recently. It was the first book I ever read when I was 12 years old and, reading it this time, I was amazed that I could literally remember NOTHING about it. It was basically like reading a new King book.
    Cujo is one of my favorite King books. I read it in a single day back in my teens at some point. It was the first book I had ever read in a single sitting. Loved it.

King says in On Writing that he was on a cocaine binge at the time of writing Cujo and doesn't recall writing it.

I think when I do re-read another King book, it will probably be Cujo.
    I remember reading that in On Writing also. I think it's the one he wrote in a frenzy with the typewriter balanced on his knees in the laundry room or something, right?

And it really was a great story. Not only could I recall nothing about it, I figured my perception of it would be WAY different now since a 12 year old's brain just doesn't perceive things quite the same as a 38 year old. haha. From the beginning, with the way it told things from Cujo's perspective (before he became rabid), I thought: "Damnit, this book is gonna get me this time around".

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amanda's parents: "Okay, sweetie, we're gonna read some Curious George now--"
    6-year-old Amanda [kicking and screaming on the floor]: " I WANNA READ CUJO!"
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Amanda's parents: "Okay, sweetie, we're gonna read some Curious George now--"
    6-year-old Amanda [kicking and screaming on the floor]: " I WANNA READ CUJO!"
    Oh man.

Imagine as a baby in my crib, the Halloween theme music playing in my nursery. haha

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's your origin story!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

funny you should say that changed my celly ring tone to that theme the other day

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to re-read much more often when I was younger and had more time (and no children). The Shining and Jurassic Park are the two books I've re-read the most—thirteen and seven times respectively. These days, I really have to be in a certain mood to want to spend my precious time re-reading something, but I do try to add a couple to my list every year.

I guess I was in a particularly nostalgic mood last year, because I re-read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, The Running Man, and NOS4A2. This year, I think I might do either Skeleton Crew or 'Salem's Lot. Maybe both. We'll see.

It is mostly King books I've re-read though. The only ones I can specifically remember re-reading by other authors are:

NOS4A2
    Frankenstein
    Jurassic Park
    Fahrenheit 451
    Lord of the Flies

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, and I won't count things I read in high school and re-read in college—The Great Gatsby comes to mind—because those weren't really my choice, and who can remember back that far anyway? There are some I know I'd like to re-read at some point (Sphere, Congo, and/or Prey by Crichton, and The Ruins), but we'll just have to see how things go. So much to read, so little time, right?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Never enough time, but sometimes you have to revisit the special ones.

Also: nice avatar.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The older I get the harder it is to find time... but I've re-read almost ever SK book ive read at least once. James Herbert and Andy McNabb also get re-read... as previously said, "it's like visiting an old friend" ...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sai Sheb...where do you find these avatars?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Never enough time, but sometimes you have to revisit the special ones.

Also: nice avatar.
    Definitely. And thanks!

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Sai Sheb...where do you find these avatars?
    I make some and just find the rest online....
    It fills the the hours that aren't spent here or re-reading books.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    The older I get the harder it is to find time... but I've re-read almost ever SK book ive read at least once. James Herbert and Andy McNabb also get re-read... as previously said, "it's like visiting an old friend" ...
    As someone that is doing a complete Stephen King Re-read this question still pops into my head.

Visiting an old friend is great BUT what if there is better, life changing friend that you never meet at all because of a Re-read?

Everytime I re-read a book I think about the thousands of great books I have not read.

But damn it I did I enjoy my The Stand re-read!

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3