Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mr.Mercedes *****Spoilers!!!!!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished. Was a really quick read. I have to agree, some of it wasn't too subtle.
    I also found what I think is a mistake that should have been caught by the proofers. Anyone else?
    Hm. Can't get the spoiler thing to work?

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

I found about five.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it well enough. Had no problem with the villain or the cop. Jerome was okay, though I'm not sure too many black 17-year olds would go around affecting plantation-slave stepinfetchit ebonics as a character trait.

My main quibble was with the introduction of Holly about 2/3rds of the way into the novel. Here's this nervous, somewhat mentally challenged chick who seems scared of her own shadow, and in the span of 3 pages becomes a cross between Wonder Woman and Clarice Starling. There's your Mary Sue. I mean, WTF? The way she figured out the basement computer arrangement and passwords and such was completely unbelievable, to name one example.

But that aside, it kept my interest and suspense. I look forward to reading a sequel.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I liked it well enough. Had no problem with the villain or the cop. Jerome was okay, though I'm not sure too many black 17-year olds would go around affecting plantation-slave stepinfetchit ebonics as a character trait.

My main quibble was with the introduction of Holly about 2/3rds of the way into the novel. Here's this nervous, somewhat mentally challenged chick who seems scared of her own shadow, and in the span of 3 pages becomes a cross between Wonder Woman and Clarice Starling. There's your Mary Sue. I mean, WTF? The way she figured out the basement computer arrangement and passwords and such was completely unbelievable, to name one example.

But that aside, it kept my interest and suspense. I look forward to reading a sequel.
    You know.... I totally agree. I also wanted it to be more dark... it seemed light. I liked the lead and I look forward to more BUT it would be nice to have more intrigue...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

You know.... I totally agree. I also wanted it to be more dark... it seemed light. I liked the lead and I look forward to more BUT it would be nice to have more intrigue...

Admittedly, I am an "Old School" reader, but isn't it a sad commentary on present day society (and I do not mean this personally in any way to the members quoted) that folks don't find a guy that wantonly runs down over a dozen or so folks at a "Job Fair" and is planning a "Mass-Massacre" after brutally killing his, Mother to be "not dark enough"???? However, given some of the real life actual scenario's we have witnessed in recent years I may be way off base.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

You have a good point, Ebola, in 1929, six gangsters (gangstas) and their mechanic were lined up and shot. This was referred to as "The Saint Valentine's Day Massacre."

Would 7 gangstas be a "massacre" today?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey folks,

haven't read the last 3 pages, as i am still somewhere at 50% of the book , but ... serious ... i don't know ...

DR. Sleep, Joyland & Wind have been no brainer - i just rushed through them in one step - but Merceds took me 5-6 attempts until half of the book.
    When i am done with my chapter i just put it down and forget it for a few days or weeks... just don't "got me" until now.

I don't know, for me its one of this rare kings with many words but less to say like Cell or Blaze ( only the personal opinion of the post creator ;D )

For me it feels like its from this area 2006/7 and just published in 2014 - I would be surprised if he actually really wrote it this year
    as it doesn't fit to his last books.

He really got speed and pressure in the latest books, and this is exactly the opposite.

Anybody else how can share my thought , or is it just me ?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He started writing it in 2012.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean, but I actually really liked Mr. Mercedes (I'm about 250 pages into Revival and am not liking it as much). MM was a pretty light summer read, but it was a lot of fun.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Just finished mr. Mercedes and I have to say it was a tough read for me. Not really enthralling until the last 50 pages or so. I thought Brady was a little unbelievable just for the fact he was able to obtain plastic explosive so quickly. Jerome was fine, hodges was fine, holly was all over the place.

Traveler Daburts will become famous soon enough

This was a very quick read for me I do agree with a earlier poster who said it felt a lit Koontzesque in style & feel a decent 7/10

Strangely the last King book I read that felt like a return to his earlier glories wasn't by him but by his son N0S4R2 felt more like King than this

Citizen of Gilead LostAlivE will become famous soon enough LostAlivE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I thought I was reading Intensity by Koontz. Except that book was better. Fast paced, a cool, calculated (but batshit) villain who doesn't fall apart when the action starts. Actually, if anyone really liked Mr. Mercedes and is looking for more of the same, Koontz's thrillers are where it's at.

Uncle Steve is losing me again. Doctor Sleep was all right, this book was all right too, 11/22/63 was all right. Joyland was fantastic though.

I enjoyed the ride and its maniacal pace. There were some neat turns of the phrase, some really touching moments and dialogue but Top Tier King this is not.

Lastly, this is the fourth book in a row that reads and feels the same. I mentioned this in my thoughts on 11/22/63 too. It's almost like he finished it, pushed the manuscript to the side and said, "Now to the next one."

I had the same feeling with Under the Dome. But that book has been "rescued" with a second book and a TV series.

BUT

If one is satisfied with a decent detective novel...Mr. M will fulfill that role.

What second book are you referring to about the dome?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed, "Dr. Sleep", "11/22/63", "Joyland","Mr. Mercedes" and "Finders Keepers". "Revival" was okay, but perhaps not up to par though it did have a good ending, as with the last 5 or 6 novels. JMHO I especially enjoyed, "Dr, Sleep" as I think it was a very good bookend to "The Shining".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Mr. Mercedes a few days ago. Overall, I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed Brady as the villain, along with the creepy relationship he had with his mother. My biggest problem was Holly. She shows up more than halfway through the novel, and is completely unstable. Yet, somehow she manages to figure out Brady's computer system in order to track him down, and then incapacitates him at the end in order to come out as the hero?! It just seemed too far-fetched.

Even though Finders Keepers is part two of the trilogy, I'm really hoping Holly is not part of the story.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian, I just can't agree about your feelings about Holly. She's a damaged person, yes, but I kind of picture her as a kind of savant regarding the computer. Her growth during the novel is intriguing.

John

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Holly, but I can understand why some don't.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I would have been fine if Holly was just the computer whiz. But knocking Brady out was too much. That should have been Hodges.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    But Hodges was in the middle of a heart attack.

John

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Spoiler:
    But Hodges was in the middle of a heart attack.

John
    Valid point John. Was still just a little too much for me.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't mind it. I just considered it "character growth".
    To each his own...

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

damn this is an old thread but i started this about a year or two ago i really don't remember i read #196 pages of it and than lost interest in reading anything and it wasn't cause the book was bad it was just that i just didn't feel like reading anything that's all. than i lent some King books to a friend she wanted to read some so i'd say it was 98% paper backs and a couple hardbacks it got me in the mood to read some King again and it was a fantastic feeling as i haven't read a single book this year thus far anyways. well i'm now on page #317 i've only got #120 pages left of the book and so far while it is a good book it's not gonna be among my favorites well yet anyways but who knows what i will think of it i haven't Finished it yet.

i haven't seen the show either

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ratchet41 View Post
    damn this is an old thread but i started this about a year or two ago i really don't remember i read #196 pages of it and than lost interest in reading anything and it wasn't cause the book was bad it was just that i just didn't feel like reading anything that's all. than i lent some King books to a friend she wanted to read some so i'd say it was 98% paper backs and a couple hardbacks it got me in the mood to read some King again and it was a fantastic feeling as i haven't read a single book this year thus far anyways. well i'm now on page #317 i've only got #120 pages left of the book and so far while it is a good book it's not gonna be among my favorites well yet anyways but who knows what i will think of it i haven't Finished it yet.

WTF???????? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet41 View Post

WTF???????? LOL
    You may want to proof read your posts in the future. Just a thought.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

i try to but sometimes i can't control how i type things and i just say screw it i guess i just type differently than most people do lol

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Some punctuation and maybe a capital letter or two might help. Just sayin...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast