Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mr.Mercedes *****Spoilers!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was very readalbe, engaging, and I never got bored with it. It isn't exactly earth shattering, and I didn't expect it to be. It is exactly what it purports to be, a detective novel. It has some flaws, namely in character developement. Holly stands out as being a poorly sculpted character IMO. Everything about her screamed pouty,sullen teenager....except her age. It was quite jarring for me when I discovered she was 40 years old and it never felt right to me. Also the interaction between Jerome and Holly seemed forced and irritatingly flirty which did not sit well with me considering their age difference. Also, I thought it was pretty lame that King used the name Jerome as a name for the main characters sidekick given the character from Duma Key. Final thought, it would have made a better ending for Hodges not to make it.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I must agree with you, BC, on the flirty stuff between Holly and Jerome. Kinda odd and creepy.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

I think they're going to wind up as a duo together, an odd couple. Young black, old white, ying and yang etc. Holly's mental immaturity is pretty clearly explained, it's why she comes off as sounding so young.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

[I'm only at page 270 so I've scrolled through the entire thread to avoid spoilers.]

I got to the part where Brady's mother eats the hamburger meat meant for the dog. I was like "Yes!" [I may have even raised a fist in triumph]
    I like seeing this little creep's plans fall to shit.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked that part. She was a fairly despicable character herself, if not somewhat pitiable.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah. I just read the part last night that told the story of what happened to Brady's younger brother. The entire thing was sad, and made me feel pity for both (young) Brady and his mother. But, still, the two are disgusting and vile. I'm glad she's dead because now I don't have to read about the gross interactions between the two of them. [shudders]

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, her actions during the death of the little brother was the main thing I found despicable in her character, but I wasnt sure if you had read that part.
    Sloth Love Chunk

I guess I should have clarified that the stuff leading up to his death made me feel pity for them.
    The death part was absolutely despicable.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The mother was equally pitiable and loathsome.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Speaking as a mother with a son, those two really made my stomach turn.
    Sometimes I don't see how Stephen King even touches on the stuff he does without feeling the need to clean himself with a scouring pad after writing.

Of course, it's good writing that can do that to you.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, the mother/son part was seriously yucky. But when she died, it was like a light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta feel sorry for the little brother though. The really disgusting part is that I have no trouble believing this could actually happen, which makes my skin crawl even more. SK just always knows how to press those buttons!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Yeah, the mother/son part was seriously yucky. But when she died, it was like a light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta feel sorry for the little brother though. The really disgusting part is that I have no trouble believing this could actually happen, which makes my skin crawl even more. SK just always knows how to press those buttons!
    Sometimes I wonder how, Tabitha can crawl into the same bed with him!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I just finished it. I liked it. It was a fast read I found which tells me it is enjoying but it felt a little like an episode of Criminal Minds or any crime show on tv right now. I think if it is going further than King should pull out all the stops on making it more creepy and maybe a stronger villain. It wasn't bad though. I hope his next book Revial is great.... I want more DT stories. Haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how, Tabitha can crawl into the same bed with him!!!
    My boyfriend claims to sleep with one eye open due to my reading and watching preferences. I wonder if Tabitha sleeps at all!!

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. I'm anxious for the next book.

I really didn't even sense the situation between Jerome and Holly to be a flirtation. (maybe I'm completely oblivious though). I just saw it as Jerome, being the mature teenager that he was, knowing how to playfully interact with the adult who is clearly unstable.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly how I saw it too, Amanda.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, RICH and unstable.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Traveler nekopoop will become famous soon enough nekopoop's Avatar

For me, this book was definitely a hit and miss. I really did not like Hodges AT ALL! I can't pin point many of the reasons, but I just couldn't feel much empathy for him. Not saying it's Stephen King's fault or anything, this time it's purely personal (unless you can relate then let me know)
    In saying that, I loved Brady. He really made the book for me, from the first introduction and the various plot points which more often then not just came out of no where.
    Another character I really enjoyed, which sadly came up in the last third of the book, was Holly. Although I found myself wondering if I only liked her because of her personality, which seemed to have changed (well because of her personal improvements etc) in Grey Mercedes part. Which, surprise surprise, only made me shrug.

So by the end I found myself hoping Brady's plan for final darkness would come true, the way he is still alive seems now like a cruel joke.

Sigh, anyway!
    I now find myself wanting the next book in my hands, so in the end i'm probably just hypocritical.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Anyone feel this was real similar to Big Driver? The internet sleuthing aspects of it, at least...

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Just watched this, interesting talk King gave discussing Mr Mercedes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8TkQvdJVbc

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it a lot better than Dr. Sleep...It was a good read..not his greatest but it was really good
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad you enjoyed it, Rose. I have to say though, I really liked "Dr. Sleep". It was like meeting an old friend after 30 years.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished this last week, and while it was not my favorite King book, I will say I laughed as loud as my wife when she reads the Evanovich books. The scene with Brady's mother eating the meat is one I will never forget. I had to put the book down as I was reading it. Maybe I was overtired, I don't know, but it was hysterically funny!

I am looking forward to another trip with Hodges and company.

Traveler stoppoker will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I heard that in the original version of Mr. Mercedes and in the german version are different mercedes' Cars, in english Mercedes SL500 V12 from 2004
    here a picture http://wiki.stephen-king.de/index.ph...edes_SL500.jpg But the SL 500 has not V12 just V8 only the S 600 has V12 (V=cylinder)

and in the german version it is a S 600 V12 http://angebote.autoscout24.de/Merce...lber-226227798

When you compare it directly it looks very smaller but the Sound of "SL500" when you speak it out or read it is different, so it is obviously a literally decision.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    The scene with Brady's mother eating the meat is one I will never forget. I had to put the book down as I was reading it. Maybe I was overtired, I don't know, but it was hysterically funny!
    That part was awesome.
    I felt such satisfaction when I read it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast