Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr.Mercedes *****Spoilers!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Mr.Mercedes *****Spoilers!!!!!

I have only started, so can't say anything yet, but since many people have read it, here's the thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished. Decent read but not that memorable. Brady was an interesting villain just because of how pathetic he was as opposed to some Hannibal mastermind. Jerome stood out to me as an annoying Mary Sue.

Tbh I'm not really sure if this needs another two books but we'll see.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished it today. I liked it. I thought Hodges was a likable character and well written. Jerome was forgettable. Holly was too, really. But I liked Brady as the villain and thought he was well written also. I enjoyed it as a mystery story and will be interested to see what happens in the sequel as well as the short stories about the massacre.

I was pulling for Brady to be successful at the end.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about 250 pages into it and am enjoying it so far. While I was reading it today, I couldn't help but think that if they ever do a movie, Jessica Lange would be perfect for Brady's mom.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Finished it today. I liked it. I thought Hodges was a likable character and well written. Jerome was forgettable. Holly was too, really. But I liked Brady as the villain and thought he was well written also. I enjoyed it as a mystery story and will be interested to see what happens in the sequel as well as the short stories about the massacre.

I was pulling for Brady to be successful at the end.
    Well, in that case you should really consider therapy!! LOL Anyone else notice a "Det. Kinderman" resemblance (From "The Exorcist") in Det. Hodges?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

*** Spoilers abound ***

So, it's been almost a week since I finished it, and upon reflection, it really isn't aging well with me. King, who used to be so skilled at crafting villains, hasn't (in my eyes) created a memorable baddie since the mid-'90s (DT-related villains don't count), and Brady is no exception. I hated that King seemingly abandoned any sort of subtlety by reducing him to nothing but a racist mouth-breather, which I found completely unnecessary in his characterization (I know I complained about this on the other thread, but it still rankles me). Hodges, I liked well enough, but I don't like that he survived to the ending. Upon further review, I'd probably rate this half-hearted rehash of "Insomnia" a C, maybe a C+.

(By the by, it stymies me that this wasn't a Hard Case release. I found it more up their alley than "Joyland.")

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    *** Spoilers abound ***

So, it's been almost a week since I finished it, and upon reflection, it really isn't aging well with me. King, who used to be so skilled at crafting villains, hasn't (in my eyes) created a memorable baddie since the mid-'90s (DT-related villains don't count), and Brady is no exception. I hated that King seemingly abandoned any sort of subtlety by reducing him to nothing but a racist mouth-breather, which I found completely unnecessary in his characterization (I know I complained about this on the other thread, but it still rankles me). Hodges, I liked well enough, but I don't like that he survived to the ending. Upon further review, I'd probably rate this half-hearted rehash of "Insomnia" a C, maybe a C+.

(By the by, it stymies me that this wasn't a Hard Case release. I found it more up their alley than "Joyland.")

I hear what you are saying and cannot disagree with any vehemence, but you have to admit that he was somewhat shallowly depicted, not a King trait at all. There were "levels" that were not explored with him and maybe that is for the rest of the trilogy. I hear, Brady somehow survives and lives to kill again in the upcoming tome's. Just a rumor, but what if.....?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

It's not necessarily Brady that turns up in the next instalment?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy_ed View Post
    It's not necessarily Brady that turns up in the next installment?

No, I'm saying that I think I read that he returns, but how is quite a mystery to me considering his condition at the end.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Hodges reminded me of the detective from "A Good Marriage".

Also, I completely disagree with Steve. Except for the mention of Insomnia.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I thought I was reading Intensity by Koontz. Except that book was better. Fast paced, a cool, calculated (but batshit) villain who doesn't fall apart when the action starts. Actually, if anyone really liked Mr. Mercedes and is looking for more of the same, Koontz's thrillers are where it's at.

Uncle Steve is losing me again. Doctor Sleep was all right, this book was all right too, 11/22/63 was all right. Joyland was fantastic though.

I enjoyed the ride and its maniacal pace. There were some neat turns of the phrase, some really touching moments and dialogue but Top Tier King this is not.

Lastly, this is the fourth book in a row that reads and feels the same. I mentioned this in my thoughts on 11/22/63 too. It's almost like he finished it, pushed the manuscript to the side and said, "Now to the next one."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was just outside reading Mr. Mercedes and an ice cream truck goes by. Uh oh.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I threw up a proper review here

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wish I could read it - had to suspend my reading of Mr.M (must write a lengthy article, for which need to reread a lot of Russian kids' literature right now)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I thought I was reading Intensity by Koontz. Except that book was better. Fast paced, a cool, calculated (but batshit) villain who doesn't fall apart when the action starts. Actually, if anyone really liked Mr. Mercedes and is looking for more of the same, Koontz's thrillers are where it's at.

Uncle Steve is losing me again. Doctor Sleep was all right, this book was all right too, 11/22/63 was all right. Joyland was fantastic though.

I enjoyed the ride and its maniacal pace. There were some neat turns of the phrase, some really touching moments and dialogue but Top Tier King this is not.

Lastly, this is the fourth book in a row that reads and feels the same. I mentioned this in my thoughts on 11/22/63 too. It's almost like he finished it, pushed the manuscript to the side and said, "Now to the next one."

I had the same feeling with Under the Dome. But that book has been "rescued" with a second book and a TV series.

BUT

If one is satisfied with a decent detective novel...Mr. M will fulfill that role.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished it and really liked it overall. It was suspenseful and engaging throughout, and I never felt bored when reading it. I thought it was a perfect summer read, especially because it never tries to be anything more.

I liked both Jerome and Holly (and thought they were well written) but can understand why some readers may not have. Also liked King's characterization of Brady. I was worried when we first see his letter to Hodges because he seemed like a very stereotypical villain and that King was trying too hard, so I was happy to see that it was just Brady's façade.

I think Mr. Mercedes is good enough as a stand-alone novel, so I'm curious to see where King takes it from here. The ending with Brady waking up seems like a not-so-subtle nudge-nudge that he'll be back, so I'm wondering if the ending would've been as satisfying if MM wasn't going to be part of a trilogy.

the sequel as well as the short stories about the massacre.
    Where did you hear this?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Just finished it and really liked it overall. It was suspenseful and engaging throughout, and I never felt bored when reading it. I thought it was a perfect summer read, especially because it never tries to be anything more.

I liked both Jerome and Holly (and thought they were well written) but can understand why some readers may not have. Also liked King's characterization of Brady. I was worried when we first see his letter to Hodges because he seemed like a very stereotypical villain and that King was trying too hard, so I was happy to see that it was just Brady's façade.

I think Mr. Mercedes is good enough as a stand-alone novel, so I'm curious to see where King takes it from here. The ending with Brady waking up seems like a not-so-subtle nudge-nudge that he'll be back, so I'm wondering if the ending would've been as satisfying if MM wasn't going to be part of a trilogy.

Where did you hear this?
    Yes, I heard this as well, I forget exactly maybe a post by, Bev with an interview or something. The SS would be along the lines of the opening chapter, where the back story of the victims and related folks gets more thorough treatment.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...like a collection of short stories about City Center? I almost feel like we don't need any more about that, but who knows.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...like a collection of short stories about City Center? I almost feel like we don't need any more about that, but who knows.
    Yeah, I kinda agree, but then again as much as he touched on some of the back stories in MM I guess its on his mind and he has some ideas about where to go with it. While reading the book I had a nagging feeling that he was not quite done with the "City Center" yet.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I had the same feeling, especially since before I started the book, I was thinking that it would begin with the City Center incident, rather than as happening a year earlier.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Where did you hear this?

Dear Constant Reader,

Mr. Mercedes is the first volume of a projected trilogy concerning Bill Hodges, his friends…and his enemies. The second volume, Finders Keepers, is finished (in first draft, at least) and will be published in the first half of 2015, perhaps followed by a book of new stories in the fall (or not). Anyway, these three novels seem to revolve around the City Center Massacre that opens Mr. Mercedes. Because of that, I wanted to post a complete list of those killed and injured in Brady Hartsfield’s attack. Some of these unfortunates have other parts to play. As always, I’m glad you’re along for the ride, but be warned: there are some sharp turns ahead, and I’m a really crazy driver.

Stephen King
    http://stephenking.com/promo/mr_merc...-the-toll.html

I read this and somehow put them together into the short stories being about the massacre. Rereading that letter, it doesn't appear to be the case. My bad.

As far as King's books of recent years go, they have not been his greatest works. With the exception of 11/22/63, imo. But they're still good and I have enjoyed most of them. Except for Dome. You have to temper your expectations. If you want to read his best stuff, read his earliest stuff.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I agree. His later works have shown more maturity than the earlier ones. Not to put down the earlier ones, either--they're great also.

John

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

King's recent stuff is all hit or miss. If it wasn't for the greatness of Duma Key I don't think I would have missed much if he'd have actually retired after DT7. And while I didn't hate Under The Dome...what a wasted oppourtunity that was.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Mr. Mercedes is good enough as a stand-alone novel, so I'm curious to see where King takes it from here.

WTF

In just a few short strokes on the keyboard you contradict yourself completely.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

No I didn't. I said I liked it as a stand-alone book AND AS A RESULT OF THAT, I'm curious to see how SK makes it into a trilogy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast