Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Start / finish dates

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Default Start / finish dates

Hiya,

Have always enjoyed the start and finish dates Stevie sometimes puts at the end of his books. The only author I've ever seen actually do it. Not sure when he started; maybe a few publishers refused to let him early on.

It's nice to see some real-life insight to the exact dates the stories were being dreamed up (he always seemed to enjoy tearing down the mystique a little with his author's notes...), or for instance how long they were finished before publication; in Doctor Sleep's case, a whole year went by. I remember hearing that the manuscript needed a lot of work when it was finished so this could possibly display that. It's also quite fun to see how little downtime he spends. Dude writes a hell of a lot!

Here's a list of what I can find so far, would appreciate some help if there's anything missing. Some, like Mr. Mercedes and Joyland, only have an ending date, which shits me completely. Some are merely the months. I've tried to keep it in numerical/date order, but I am known to be silly with my numbers, and are you supposed to start at the beginning or end of the writing? Who knows. I haven't added the dates when they're listed with Steve's afterword, because they're probably written well after the fact, when the dust has settled on the creative streak.

End of Watch: August 30, 2015
    Finders Keepers: July 26, 2014
    Revival: April 6, 2013 - December 27, 2013
    Mr Mercedes: September 14, 2013
    Doctor Sleep: May 1, 2011 - July 17, 2012
    Joyland: August 24, 2012
    11/22/63: January 2, 2009 - December 18, 2010
    Under the Dome: November 22, 2007 - March 14, 2009
    Duma Key: February 2006 – June 2007
    Cell: December 30, 2004 - October 17, 2005
    Lisey's Story: August 4, 2005
    Dreamcatcher: November 16, 1999 - May 29, 2000
    Steve's accident - June 19, 1999
    From A Buick 8 - April 3, 1999 - March 20, 2002
    Bag of Bones: May 25th, 1997 - February 6th, 1998
    Desperation: November 1, 1994 - December 5, 1995
    Dolores Clairbourne: October 1989 - February 1992
    Gerald's Game: November 16, 1991
    Needful Things: October 24, 1988 - January 28, 1991
    Not sure if based on reality, but DTVI implies Steve's sober date is June 19, 1988... same as the accident. A joke?
    The Dark Half: November 3, 1987 - March 16, 1989
    The Tommyknockers: August 19th, 1982 - May 19th, 1987
    Misery: September 23rd, 1984 - October 7th, 1986
    IT: September 9, 1981 - December 28, 1985
    Pet Sematary: February 1979 - December 1982
    Cujo: September 1977 - March 1981
    The Stand: February 1975 - December 1988 (but of course that's the Complete & Uncut Edition - does anyone have the date from the original version?)

What can we learn from this info? Not a whole lot, just some nice little tidbits. Seems like Joyland was written concurrently with Doctor Sleep, for one, as was IT and The Tommyknockers -- or at least there was a bit of overlap. He had started 11/22/63 before Under the Dome had finished for another...

Under the Dome started when Obama was practically unknown, and had been finished after his inauguration!

IT took four years!

Anyway, hope this is interesting to other nuts like me. I'll continue updating.
    Last edited by cowboy_ed; 06-21-2016 at 03:40 PM.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really interesting. Thank you.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is some interesting information. Welcome to the site and thanks!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I think some of his books he actually “started” much, much earlier than what’s listed.

IIRC, he started Under the Dome many years ago and in his words it was “just too big for me”. Then he pulled it out again one day and had to almost completely re-write it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    IIRC, he started Under the Dome many years ago and in his words it was “just too big for me”. Then he pulled it out again one day and had to almost completely re-write it.
    True, but I'm guessing the manuscript for the new, final version of Dome was started January 2, 2009. Ideas and early version's don't have dates.

Added the dates for Revival - looks like he started it before Mr Mercedes was finished as well. He also seemed to sign up to Twitter just as the book was wrapping up!

+ Reply to Thread