Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MATCHING NUMBERS... And the Values of...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default MATCHING NUMBERS... And the Values of...

I can't find a thread here on this but I thought it would open up a great discussion... Does having matching numbers increase value? What sets go together? Which sets add the most value? I am a NUT over matching numbers and would pay much more in some cases for those numbers... Would you?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have almost all the S/L's by King (outwith the dark tower) and I don't think I have 2 numbers the same. I totally get how some people go for the matching #'s though - it's just never particularly interested me. Having said that, I'm going for matching #'s with the upcoming Cemetery Dance reissues starting with Carrie. Just seems to make sense with this set.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I would LOVE to match numbers on all my books - I have mostly two numbers 464 and 54 - IF ANYONE HAS EITHER OF THESE IN ANY BOOK I'D LOVE TO TRADE!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I prefer if a set of books has matching numbers but I don't mind if titles not in a set don't match. Of course I suffer from missing one book from my DT set and I have a mismatched book in my ASOIAF set. That drives me nuts.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I would LOVE to match numbers on all my books - I have mostly two numbers 464 and 54 - IF ANYONE HAS EITHER OF THESE IN ANY BOOK I'D LOVE TO TRADE!
    When I get a chance I'll go through my S/L's and check for your numbers, Kris.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Like Alan, I understand why people would want matching numbers but if I ever start collecting S/Ls I won't bother with trying to match numbers. It would be nice to get an assortment of low numbers I guess.

I know there are several people here who own(ed) > 20 books with a matching number. Rahfa had 28 at one point, I believe.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I prefer if a set of books has matching numbers but I don't mind if titles not in a set don't match. Of course I suffer from missing one book from my DT set and I have a mismatched book in my ASOIAF set. That drives me nuts.
    Yeah that one number missing thing would be annoying, Becca. Hope you eventually find them!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it is a specific set of books, like the Song of Ice and Fire series, then matching numbers is the way to go. But with separate S/L editions, I don't care if the numbers match. Some of my CD S/L editions have the same number, but I would never sell IT and FDNS as a "matching numbers set". They are not a set - they are two books with the same number.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    ...I have a mismatched book in my ASOIAF set. That drives me nuts.
    As do I. I wish I could find my orphaned child somewhere. Why would someone want to keep it from coming to a good home with its brothers and sisters? :-(

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What about say Doctor Sleep and Shinning? Dark Tower set? Matching Potfolios? Regulators and Desparation? Blackhouse and Talisaman? To name a few.... Would you Pay more?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What about say Doctor Sleep and Shinning? Dark Tower set? Matching Potfolios? Regulators and Desparation? Blackhouse and Talisaman? To name a few.... Would you Pay more?
    Dr. Sleep and The Shining - not a set (two separate publishers as well)
    Dark Tower - a set and would pay more for matching numbers
    Portfolios - my IT S/L matches my IT Portfolio, but I don't really consider them a set. It is nice to have the same number.
    Regulators and Desperation/Black House and Talisman - not sets to me, although related. My numbers don't match and I am OK with that.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Black House and Talisman - not sets to me, although related. My numbers don't match and I am OK with that.
    Black House and Talisman are a set. If you purchased Talisman from Grant then you were offered the same number of S/L Black House (#'d artist as well).

I can see why some wouldn't care though.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

LOOKS LIKE A MATCHING SET TO ME.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Seems like it is a personal preference among collectors. If I can get a matching set from the get go, then I will do that. But I won't go through the work of trying to track down a specific number.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Collector specific.....

I think we can all agree, at a minimum, that a Matching Dark Tower set is preferred.

Past that, up to each individual.

Gunslinger Apprentice ap275 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

If it is one story told via a number of books, or books specifically published as parts of a larger set, then I would prefer a matching number. I think value would be about 10%-20% higher for a matching number set. Would not care about a number if it is a stand alone novel. Collectors trying to piece together all books or just related books as the same number are facing long odds - since any number over 200 would not be complete due to only 200 copies published of S/L Legends. This is not including lettered editions.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    LOOKS LIKE A MATCHING SET TO ME.

Sorry I have to ask... Why does Wishpers apply? Cause I am pissed lol as I do not have that matching my set. Haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Sorry I have to ask... Why does Wishpers apply? Cause I am pissed lol as I do not have that matching my set. Haha
    It contained the only full version of "Before The Play" (August '82)
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks bro... I did not know that AND that is why I love this site! Just had my offer accepted too everyone on my dream house!!!!!!!!!!!! Will post pics!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

For me,

Dt: Of course.
    Talisman/BH: Yeah, but to a much lesser extent.
    Anything else: No way. Bundle FDNS and Dr Sleep and The Shining together and I'd expect to pay less, not more.

Along the Path of the Beam Tree705 will become famous soon enough Tree705's Avatar

I would not pay more for matching numbers but would/will use it as a selling point to get the most so perhaps more for the books.
    Rich DeMars

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tree705 View Post
    I would not pay more for matching numbers but would/will use it as a selling point to get the most so perhaps more for the books.
    Agreed. Because i WOULD pay more. And Doctor Sleep is part of the Shinning to me.... Related in so many ways!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If the books are related, I would pay more.

If the books are unrelated, I would not pay more. However, all else being equal, I would buy them over buying someone else's unmatched books.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't care one whit about matching numbers. Except for the DT set, which I do have matching III through TWTTK. But that's mostly due to Grant's marketing genius. And the perceived premium on value that someone else might pay if I had to sell.

Even other "sets" don't really interest me to match. I have SOD I and II and it doesn't bother me at all that the numbers don't match.

I've got about 50 non-DT S/L'ds; check my collection thread--if you see a number you want, I will swap even-steven as long as condition is comparable.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Matching numbers means a lot to me, to a point. Dark Tower series - yes. Desperation & Regulators - Yes, but I can only wish at this point. Talisman & Black House - yes. Doctor Sleep & The Shining - yes. The interrelatedness of King's world makes the matching numbers very enticing to me. Even the fact that 11/23/63 has scenes that take place during IT make we wish I had them in matching numbers. In the end, matching numbers is part of the game for me. Thankfully, CD, SubPress, Grant, and PS have been good to me in the matching department.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I don't care one whit about matching numbers. Except for the DT set, which I do have matching III through TWTTK. But that's mostly due to Grant's marketing genius. And the perceived premium on value that someone else might pay if I had to sell.

Even other "sets" don't really interest me to match. I have SOD I and II and it doesn't bother me at all that the numbers don't match.

I've got about 50 non-DT S/L'ds; check my collection thread--if you see a number you want, I will swap even-steven as long as condition is comparable.
    Lol well said. Hahahhaha I will check what numbers you have when I get back from vacation. Lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast