2 7.69%

2 7.69%

4 15.38%

5 19.23%

1 3.85%
  • Never read

1 3.85%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

Lisey's Story, 2006

Please vote for Lisey's Story using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

both earned by Lisey's sister

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know... I even had to go on line and read the plot on this one. It was so far forgotten I cannot imagine giving it higher than a 2.5. NO impression what so ever... like to hear from who gave it the 5...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my all-time favorites.

sk

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also a 2 for me. One of the few books it just took me forever to get through b/c I just wasn't into it. A "page-turner" this was not. I actually liked most of the story set in the real world, but all that stuff with the Long-Boy and Bool ya Moon or whatever did nothing for me at all.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

it gets a lot better with subsequent reads IMHO
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I had to give it a 1. I’ve never struggled so hard to get through a book in my life. I’m a pretty fast reader but it took me weeks to get through the first 50 pages or so.

I kept pushing on hoping it would get better but it never did.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I had to give it a 1. I’ve never struggled so hard to get through a book in my life. I’m a pretty fast reader but it took me weeks to get through the first 50 pages or so.

Thats the problem I think. I'm a voracious reader as well and this book needs time to digest. It's a slow burner for sure.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't re-read it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    there's the rub. One has to think he is immortal to undertake such an attempt.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

1, one of King's worst. I hated it.

Same here, if I knew it wasn't going to get any better, I would have stopped right away instead of struggling thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    there's the rub. One has to think he is immortal to undertake such an attempt.
    I'm not sure I could make myself re-read this one if I tried.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

1. Awful.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Thats the problem I think. I'm a voracious reader as well and this book needs time to digest. It's a slow burner for sure.
    I think I did re-read quite a few pages several times at the beginning because I couldn’t quite make sense of what exactly was going on.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Lisey's Story writing style:

she held out her hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and took a cup, a blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she put the index finger of her right hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and put the blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she had put the index finger of her right hand, to her lips, between which there were thirty-two teeth, canines, incisors, premolars, molars and wisdom teeth, and took a sip of the tea from the blue vessel with a small circular handle which she was holding in her hand, consisting of a palm, four fingers and a thumb....

etc ad infinitum

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep going...You have me intrigued.

she held out her hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and took a cup, a blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she put the index finger of her right hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and put the blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she had put the index finger of her right hand, to her lips, between which there were thirty-two teeth, canines, incisors, premolars, molars and wisdom teeth, and took a sip of the tea from the blue vessel with a small circular handle which she was holding in her hand, consisting of a palm, four fingers and a thumb....

etc ad infinitum

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Fucking terrible. That is all.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

etc ad infinitum
    . . . and, while she sipped her tea, she contemplated the sky, in the northern latitude of the western hemisphere of an unremarkable planet orbiting a remote star on the edge of a pinwheel-shaped galaxy in a universe of . . .

Yeah. It was tough to wade through all that.

Country
    Country Flag

precisely

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

found this to be a very good book and so refreshing after DT7 which I found to be a ...cop out.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So is this the book with the most number 1's so far?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

etc ad infinitum

Bears made a funny.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Lisey's Story has earned a FAS (final average score) of 2.780000000 or 55.60%. It received a rating of 1 with 5 votes.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sk

+ Reply to Thread