Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dean Koontz

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'd like some opinions regarding the current value of the Koontz books published by Cemetery Dance from 1998 to 2000. Specifically what is the value of the lettered editions? I have copy "AA" of 52 lettered copies of False Memory, Fear Nothing and Seize The Night. I am entertaining an offer but don't know if it is fair or not.

Also would like opinions on the value of the lettered edition of Lightning. I have copy "S" of 26 lettered copies published by Ultramarine.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    As you probably read above and have seen on eBay, the Dean Koontz market is currently soft. On the positive side, those are amazing items that I and any other Koontz collector would love to have. As for value, individual copies of the CD lettered have been listed on eBay for 449 to 499.00 and not selling--a symptom of the soft demand. However, I think that is a very fair price and if I owned them wouldn't sell them for that price unless I was hungry due to their scarcity. In my humble opinion, I'd value the CD lettereds at 450 to 650 and Lightning in the same range if they were being sold individually. I also am of the school that a premium should be paid for the matching set. By the way, I've been watching eBay on the Koontz items for years and have never seen a lettered Lightning offered. Cool stuff!!! If the deal falls through and you are interested in selling, please keep me in mind.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    I'm curious and eager to hear folks thought on why the Koontz collectible market is currently so soft. A review of EBay shows that many signed limited editions are selling well below issue price. A review of sold Koontz items reflects most signed limiteds selling in the 100 to 200 dollar with range with quite a few sales below 100.00. Many older titles issued under pseudonyms sell for less than 100.00 even if they are signed. Also, Charnel House has reduced the quantity of signed limiteds per edition from 500 to 300 to 150. I look at it as a buying opportunity, but am surprised at the apparent lack of interest. He still tops the bestseller lists and the Odd series is extremely popular, but little demand for collectible books although Charnel House does sell out their editions. Thoughts? Am I misreading the market? Appreciate your input!
    I think it's because I and a lot of other like-minded folks who at one time very much enjoyed Koontz' fiction *and* have the interest in -- and no qualms about paying premium dollars for -- signed/limited collectible editions no longer see Koontz as worthy of our reading time or money. For some it started after his arguably best period in the '70s and '80s, for other it started in the new century, for others somewhere in between (for me it was in the early '90s)...but what most discerning readers and collectors that I know agree on is that the quality of his fiction took a substantive downturn at some point, and the fiction that has been produced in the 21st century is of little to no interest, some of it trite, formulaic, and embarrassingly bad. While I love the books he produced in the '70s and '80s and he was, at one point, one of my very favorite authors, and would love to have a collection of 1st HCs of that era, I haven't bought a new book of his for a very long time (INTENSITY excepted).

I would contend that this perspective echoes many collectors', based on at least my communication with others and, as you describe above, the falling values of his collectible editions. Thus while he may still be on the bestseller lists, the people who are reading him still and keeping him on such lists are the same ones who read James Patterson and other writers of that ilk, who buy from Amazon.com or Target or Costco at the lowest prices possible...and these readers are not the kind of readers who translate that interest into the collectible market -- which would explain why he can still sell decent numbers and yet have diminishing interest in the collectible market. A popular author does not automatically translate to a collectible author, if the collectible buyers -- who one could I think rightly contend have more discriminating tastes -- view the author as both a predictably poor writer and a poor investment.

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could have nabbed a lettered False Memory back a couple of years ago but wanted something else. Someone bought it for $170US.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    I'm curious and eager to hear folks thought on why the Koontz collectible market is currently so soft. A review of EBay shows that many signed limited editions are selling well below issue price. A review of sold Koontz items reflects most signed limiteds selling in the 100 to 200 dollar with range with quite a few sales below 100.00. Many older titles issued under pseudonyms sell for less than 100.00 even if they are signed. Also, Charnel House has reduced the quantity of signed limiteds per edition from 500 to 300 to 150. I look at it as a buying opportunity, but am surprised at the apparent lack of interest. He still tops the bestseller lists and the Odd series is extremely popular, but little demand for collectible books although Charnel House does sell out their editions. Thoughts? Am I misreading the market? Appreciate your input!
    I think it's because I and a lot of other like-minded folks who at one time very much enjoyed Koontz' fiction *and* have the interest in -- and no qualms about paying premium dollars for -- signed/limited collectible editions no longer see Koontz as worthy of our reading time or money. For some it started after his arguably best period in the '70s and '80s, for other it started in the new century, for others somewhere in between (for me it was in the early '90s)...but what most discerning readers and collectors that I know agree on is that the quality of his fiction took a substantive downturn at some point, and the fiction that has been produced in the 21st century is of little to no interest, some of it trite, formulaic, and embarrassingly bad. While I love the books he produced in the '70s and '80s and he was, at one point, one of my very favorite authors, and would love to have a collection of 1st HCs of that era, I haven't bought a new book of his for a very long time (INTENSITY excepted).

I would contend that this perspective echoes many collectors', based on at least my communication with others and, as you describe above, the falling values of his collectible editions. Thus while he may still be on the bestseller lists, the people who are reading him still and keeping him on such lists are the same ones who read James Patterson and other writers of that ilk, who buy from Amazon.com or Target or Costco at the lowest prices possible...and these readers are not the kind of readers who translate that interest into the collectible market -- which would explain why he can still sell decent numbers and yet have diminishing interest in the collectible market. A popular author does not automatically translate to a collectible author, if the collectible buyers -- who one could I think rightly contend have more discriminating tastes -- view the author as both a predictably poor writer and a poor investment.
    Well-written and well said. Although I have enjoyed reading the Odd Thomas series. I like its quirkiness. Unlike Koontz, King is increasing his critical recognition. By way of example, 11/22/63 was recognized by the New York Times as one of the 10 ten books of its year of issue. Thanks for the great response!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    I could have nabbed a lettered False Memory back a couple of years ago but wanted something else. Someone bought it for $170US.
    That's reflective of really low demand, although I'd have paid more.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for the replies. Very helpful!

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been a DK collector for 30 years. Have an ENORMOUS collection - check it out piece by piece on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/noah.mitche...0828265&type=3

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoahM View Post
    I've been a DK collector for 30 years. Have an ENORMOUS collection - check it out piece by piece on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/noah.mitche...0828265&type=3
    Noah,
    I loved looking through your book collection and welcome to the site. It is stunning! Can't wait to see pics of your Koontz collections, too.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you!! Were you unable to view the Koontz collection on Facebook?? If so, please let me know & I'll take photos of the shelves. The Facebook page is better because I have individual photos of every item, many of which will get lost in the group shots. But please let me know if you can't see the Koontz on Facebook.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoahM View Post
    Thank you!! Were you unable to view the Koontz collection on Facebook?? If so, please let me know & I'll take photos of the shelves. The Facebook page is better because I have individual photos of every item, many of which will get lost in the group shots. But please let me know if you can't see the Koontz on Facebook.
    I'd love to see a pic of the Koontz bookcase. I'm off FB. Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, here are a series of photos of my Koontz stuff. Like King, it's going to be hard to see the flat pieces, such as rare early magazines etc. Let me know if you want close-ups of anything!

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow great collection. I'm not a collector of Koontz' stuff like I am King's, but do read most of his books. Has there ever been a special edition of Watchers published? That is my favourite story of his.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!!
    Literary Express published a "Special Edition" of Watchers in 1998. It's a no-frills hardcover with a new introduction by Koontz with the author's facsimile signature. Watchers is to Koontz what The Stand is to King: most fans' favorite book. I'm honestly shocked that no small press has ever gone back and done a S/L edition of the novel. It's my favorite DK book as well. Sad to say, no limited edition exists.

Country
    Country Flag

Noah, thank you for posting the photos of your Koontz library: a very comprehensive collection. I think I was most impressed with the copy of the Reflector from his time at Shippensburg State College, vthf. Also, I admired your complete collection of Koontz's adult titles written under various pseudonyms. Further, your lettered editions are pretty cool, too. I'll continue to review and let you know what I'd love to see in closer fashion. Also, do you by chance have a list of the various S/L anthologies Koontz has signed either as a contributor, providing an intro or afterword? I'm working on a list, but would love any help you can provide. Finally, what are your pride and joy Koontz pieces? Just curious. Thanks for the follow up!

Country
    Country Flag

JC - Thanks for such kind words and for taking the time to check out my Koontz stuff!!
    The Reflector - thank you! Regrettably, it's my only one. I have photocopies of the others, but haven't been able to acquire actual copies. . .sigh. . . someday!!
    Adult titles - thanks!!! Many of those were REALLY tough, and I take great pride in them, even though Koontz denies having written all but 2 of them, and those 2 he claims were so vastly re-written by the publisher that they don't resemble his original novels (the same goes for Pig Society & ULH).
    Lettered editions - I really don't have too many of DK lettereds. I have a really impressive run of F. Paul Wilson lettered editions, and have most of McCammon, Ketchum, & Dan Simmons lettereds. Koontz - the Charnel House ones are all, in my opinion, hugely over-priced to begin with. I have the Dark Harvest ones and a few others, but by no means all.
    Anthologies - let me check the library and get back to you on that one.
    Pride & joy Koontz. . . ugh. . .what a question! Well, certainly the Reflector issue, and the lettered state Beastchild. . .some of those adult books too are utterly obscure and near-impossible, such as Thirteen and Ready!. . . . in the pre-Internet days I would have said that the UK Darkness Comes & Prison of Ice, and anthologies such as Children of Infinity & Androids, Time Machines etc. were prides, but nowadays you can find these all over the place. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, they were near-impossible!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow again, Noah! I think I need to apply for a library card so I can visit your collection and spend hours (days? weeks?) on the floor reading!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Country
    Country Flag

Hi Goheat! Thanks so much!! Any time you're in the NY area, you're welcome to stop by & check out the 'brary!

Country
    Country Flag

Hi again JC - - okay, regarding your question about S/Ls that contain DK signatures. . .I don't think I can give you a complete list. Personally, for the most part, I don't collect books that don't contain Koontz FICTION. I don't generally buy books that have introductions, afterwords, forewords, etc. by DK. Perhaps an easier way to do it would be for you to e-mail me a list of what you have, and if I notice anything missing, I'll fill you in. . . ??

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's quite an impressive Koontz collection. Congratulations! I used to collect Koontz but had to stop as it was becoming costly, so my main focus is King for now. I still get the new books when they come out. I have a lot of Koontz books in boxes at the moment, but I recently ordered some bookcases and I'm planning on making space for them so I can display the books. Once I do, I'll post some pics. Great collection you have there!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Zelig!!! Looking forward to seeing your collection!!
    Check out our Facebook page if you haven't yet:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/deankoontzcollecting/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast