Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dean Koontz

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Koontz Non-Fiction

The Pig Society (Aware Press 1970) and The Underground Lifestyles Handbook (Aware Press 1970) are two non-fiction titles allegedly written by Dean and his wife, Gerda. According to Stu Weaver's Dean Koontz page, "Koontz disputes authorship, claiming the publisher took liberties with the manuscript. One has only to read the first few pages to realize that a good portion of the book is, in fact, not written by Koontz. It is reported that Dean refuses to autograph the book for this reason." Each of these books are among the very most difficult of Koontz titles to locate. Finding one in good condition is a tough task.

From www.deankoontz.com:

UNAUTHORIZED MUTILATION OF DEAN’S WORKS.
    In 1969, Dean agreed to have a small publisher publish two of his non-fiction works (one entitled THE SICK SOCIETY and the other entitled GOING UNDERGROUND) and two of his fiction works (one entitled HUNG and the other entitled TIGER 650). All four books were presented to the publisher as finished manuscripts and Dean fully expected for them to be published in the form submitted to the publisher. Unfortunately, all four books were put into production before Dean learned that the publisher had arranged, without Dean’s knowledge or consent, for them to be so completely rewritten that none of them, as published, bore much resemblance to the original manuscripts as submitted by Dean. Although he wasn’t able to stop publication, he did get the publisher to contractually agree to publish all four books under a pseudonym. The publisher further agreed to indemnify Dean against claims arising from the material added by the publisher: “Author and Publisher acknowledge that…the Work will be published with material changes from the original manuscripts of same, that the Publisher assumes all liability for the content of those new chapters and passages.” However, only one of the four books was published under a pen name- HUNG was published under the pen name Leonard Chris. THE SICK SOCIETY manuscript was published under the title PIG SOCIETY, the GOING UNDERGROUND manuscript was published under the title THE UNDERGROUND LIFESTYLES HANDBOOK, and the TIGER 650 manuscript was published under the title BOUNCE GIRL- all with Dean and Gerda Koontz as the credited authors, and therefore in breach of Dean’s contract with the publisher. Copyright Office files on all four of these books now reflects affidavits from Gerda and Dean stating that (1) Gerda did not participate in writing any portion of these books and (2) Dean disavows any claim of authorship or responsibility for the content of these four books due to the substantial nature of the unauthorized changes to his original manuscripts.

Interestingly, in 1971, in an article entitled "Dean's Drive or Some Days in the Life of another Writer," published in Energumen 8(June 1971), Dean allegedly had this to say about The Pig Society:

Below are my copies of the books:

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Koontz Pulp Fiction

Many of Dean Koontz's early short stories were published in The Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Venture, Fantastic Stories and other genre related magazines. Here are examples of a few I have:

Country
    Country Flag

Default K.R. Dwyer (Dean Koontz) books

From www.deankoontz.com:

PEN NAMES.
    Dean used the following pen names early in his career. The number in parenthesis is the number of titles written under each name: David Axton (1) Brian Coffey (5), Deanna Dwyer (5), K.R. Dwyer (3), John Hill (1), Leigh Nichols (5), Anthony North (1), Richard Paige (1), and Aaron Wolfe (1). Two of the Brian Coffey books have been reissued under Dean’s name–THE FACE OF FEAR (Berkley Books) and THE VOICE OF THE NIGHT (Berkley Books), one of the K.R. Dwyer titles–SHATTERED (Berkley Books), the lone Richard Paige book–THE DOOR TO DECEMBER (NAL/Signet) and all five Leigh Nichols titles (Berkley Books). CHASE, by K.R. Dwyer, was extensively rewritten by Dean and published as a full-length novel in the collection STRANGE HIGHWAYS, published by Warner Books (now Grand Central Publishing).

Below are my copies of the three K.R. Dwyer books written by Dean. His first hardback published under any name was Chase which shows a 1972 copyright; however, the back inside flap states that it was printed in 1/73. Interestingly, and I'm sure an intended coincidence, KRD are Dean Koontz's initials (DRK), but backwards. My copy of Shattered is inscribed and I love the note. Also depicted is the back cover of Chase.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This is all very cool. Keep them coming.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Thanks! Appreciate the encouragement. Good to know a few are interested.

Country
    Country Flag

Default David Axton (Dean Koontz) Prison of Ice

David Axton is the pen name of only one title, Prison of Ice, written by Dean Koontz and published by Lippincott in 1976. According to an article written by Jame T. Seels in "Firsts" (Oct. 1993), the ultimate Koontz collectible is one of five or six bound typescripts titled, "The Edgeway Crisis" by Dave Haggard. The manuscript was submitted to Bernard Geis Associates, rejected, then retitled Prison of Ice and submitted to Lipincott as the the work of David Axton. Koontz has one copy and the whereabouts of others are currently unknown.

Koontz chose the pseudonym David Axton because "I've always liked the country singer and songwriter Hoyt Axton, which explains David's last name. The first name was chosen because it has the same number of letters as the last, which looks good on a book and 'stacks' easily if the publisher decides to use the name on two lines."

Here is my copy of the Axton book:

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

One of my favorite books of Koontz' is VOICE OF THE NIGHT, released under his Brian Coffey pseudonym.

THE DOOR TO DECEMBER, as by Richard Paige, is also fairly good.

Do you have these two in signed 1st HC form?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    I've read about 30-40 of his books and strangely enough, I like the earlier cornball sf more than the tinfoil thrillers he wrote later.

I heard he still responds to letters. Have you considered getting in touch?

I'll second what RC65 said, Voice of the Night is a great book.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

If push came to shove, I think LIGHTNING and VOICE OF THE NIGHT would be my two favorite Koontz works. I may have enjoyed a few of his books as much, but none are as memorable.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Brian Coffey(Dean Koontz) Books

Brian Coffey is the pseudonym of Dean Koontz on five titles: Blood Risk (1973), Surrounded(1974), The Wall of Masks(1975), The Face of Fear(1977) and The Voice of the Night(1980). Blood Risk, Surrounded and The Wall of Masks are all part of the Mike Tucker trilogy, which is an acknowledged tribute to the Parker novels written by Richard Stark aka Donald E. Westlake. The character, Mike Tucker, is a successful art dealer, heir to a large fortune, and is a professional thief. Tucker only steals from large institutions such as banks, insurance companies and department stores, whose losses are fully covered by insurance.

As to why the name Brian Coffey, Koontz states:

My copies of Coffey books follow:

UK version published by Arthur Barker Limited in 1975:

I currently do not have The Wall of Masks or The Voice of the Night .

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    One of my favorite books of Koontz' is VOICE OF THE NIGHT, released under his Brian Coffey pseudonym.

THE DOOR TO DECEMBER, as by Richard Paige, is also fairly good.

Do you have these two in signed 1st HC form?
    Unfortunately, I don't have even an unsigned copy of Voice of the Night--it's a tough one to find at a reasonable price. I think the first copy of The Door to December by Richard Paige was in paperback by Signet in 1985, but was later released by Inner Circle in the UK in 1988 as a hardback under the Leigh Nichols name and again in 1991 by Headline as a UK reissue. Appreciate the note. Nice to find other Koontz collectors and readers.

Country
    Country Flag

I've read about 30-40 of his books and strangely enough, I like the earlier cornball sf more than the tinfoil thrillers he wrote later.

I heard he still responds to letters. Have you considered getting in touch?

I'll second what RC65 said, Voice of the Night is a great book.
    Agreed, Voice of the Night is a great book. I've always noted that each of his recent books has a P.O. Box address in Newport Beach, California. Now that you've planted the seed, I'll have to act. Thanks for the thought!

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've really enjoyed the pictures of your collection, jcmanske. Thanks for sharing them.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a bunch of Koontz paperbacks (pseudonyms as well) and several HB's. I read his books in the 1980's but stopped for some reason. I'll try to get some photos up here soon.

Gunslinger Apprentice uturn83 will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful

Thanks for sharing, very cool!

Country
    Country Flag

Default Not So Secret Santa

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I have a 1st edition paperback of Shadowfires by Leigh Nichols. Do you want it?
    Big Texas thank you to my not so Secret Santa. Love it and I appreciate the nice gift. Merry Christmas!

Country
    Country Flag

Default Dean Koontz Signed Limited editions

This is a start of a list of Signed/Limited Dean Koontz books where he is the author of the novel. There are numerous Signed/Limited editions featuring short stories of Dean, as well as editions where he has written the foreword, introduction or afterword. I'm trying to put together a draft list of these and will edit it as I obtain new information.

The list below identifies the publisher, year of publication, number of numbered editions, followed by number of lettered editions.

I. Signed/Limited Novels

A. Ultramarine Press

1. Lightning (Ultramarine 1988–200/26)

B. Putnam

1. The Bad Place (Putnam 1990–250)
    2. Cold Fire (Putnam 1991–750)
    3. Hideaway (Putnam 1992–800)
    4. Dragon Tears (Putnam 1993–700)
    5. Mr. Murder (Putnam 1993–600)

C. Dark Harvest

Published by Dark Harvest between 1988 and 1990, these are the five "Leigh Nichols" titles in the limited edition state. The limited and lettered editions are both signed by Dean Koontz and the illustrator, Phil Parks. The lettered editions contain a full page color drawing by the illustrator, Phil Parks

1. The Servants of Twilight (Dark Harvest 1988–450/52)
    2. House of Thunder (Dark Harvest 1988-550/52)
    3. Eyes of Darkness (Dark Harvest 1989–400/52)
    4. The Key to Midnight (Dark Harvest 1990–550/52)
    5. Shadowfires (Dark Harvest 1990–600/52)

D. Cemetery Dance

1. Strange Highways (Cemetery Dance 1995–750/52)
    2. Fear Nothing (Cemetery Dance 1998–698/52)
    3. Seize the Night (Cemetery Dance 1998–698/52)
    4. False Memory (Cemetery Dance 1999–698/52)

E. Charnel House Signed Limited editions

1. Beastchild (Charnel 1992–750/26)
    2. Dark Rivers of the Heart (Charnel 1994–500/26)
    3. From the Corner of His Eye (Charnel 2001–500/26)
    4. The Book of Counted Sorrows (Charnel 2003–1250/26)
    5. The Face (Charnel 2003–500/26)
    6. Odd Thomas (Charnel 2003-500/26)
    7. The Taking (Charnel 2004–300/26)
    8. Life Expectancy (Charnel 2004–300/26)
    9. Velocity (Charnel 2005-300/26)
    10. Frankenstein (Charnel 2005–750/26)
    11. Forever Odd (Charnel 2006–300/26)
    12. The Husband (Charnel 2006–300/26)
    13. Brother Odd (Charnel 2006–300/26)
    14. The Good Guy (Charnel 2007–350/26)
    15. Darkest Evening of the Year (Charnel 2007–350/26)
    16. Odd Hours (Charnel 2008–300/26)
    17. Your Heart Belongs to Me (Charnel 2009–250/26)
    18. Relentless (Charnel 2009–250/26)
    19. Frankenstein: Lost Souls (Charnel 2010–150/26)
    20. What the Night Knows (Charnel 2010–200/26)
    21. Frankenstein: The Dead Town (Charnel –150/26)
    22. 77 Shadow Street (Charnel –150/26)
    23. Odd Apocalypse (Charnel 2012–125/26)
    24. Odd Interlude (Charnel 2013 –125/26)
    25. Deeply Odd (Charnel 2013 –125/26)
    26. Innocence (Charnel 2014–150/26)
    27. The City (Charnel –150/26)
    28. Saint Odd (Charnel –125/26)

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FYI, Barnes and Noble has a pre-order available for a signed copy of Saint Odd, due to release January 15, 2015, HERE.
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Loving everyone's Koontz collections. I have most of his novels in paperback and later printing hardbacks. I wouldn't say its a collection as such, just kept them all when I purchased them to read. I do like the idea of picking up a special edition of his however, as he is certainly an author who deserves some credit.

I do have a first edition Watchers as that is my favourite book of his. Would love a signed copy of that one day.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    FYI, Barnes and Noble has a pre-order available for a signed copy of Saint Odd, due to release January 15, 2015, HERE.
    Thanks for the link! I'd missed it. Buying one today!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Thanks for the link! I'd missed it. Buying one today!
    Excellent, I ordered one too!

If you missed it or are interested, Books-A-Million still has the signed copy of his most recently-released book, The City, available HERE. I actually found it in a local BAM store and got it.
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted a signed copy of Saint Odd (US edition) in my collection thread and offered to pick one up for a member here. Since I'm going anyway, if anyone else wants a signed copy let me know as I'd be happy to help out. It's basically from a local bookstore where Koontz signs new releases (in private). They'll be available next week. They sell them for $28 plus tax. (and shipping). That's what the bookstore charges so I'm not looking to make any money on this, just help out. If you're interested send me a PM.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

By the way, I just confirmed this. If you want the book personalized, I can make it happen but I need to know in the next half an hour. PM me with your name for personalization.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    By the way, I just confirmed this. If you want the book personalized, I can make it happen but I need to know in the next half an hour. PM me with your name for personalization.
    Again, very nice of you to do this. It speaks volumes about the quality of folks who frequent the forum. I'm very excited to receive my personalized copy (next best thing to being there). Thank you!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

You're welcome! I should be able to pick them up next week. I'll keep those who ordered posted on progress. I wish it was this easy to get King books signed!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast