Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Top THREE advance!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who Can Kill A Child

1 4.35%
  • Friday the 13th

7 30.43%
  • La Maschera del Demonio / Black Sunday (1960)

0 0%
  • May

1 4.35%
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

6 26.09%
  • The House on Haunted Hill

1 4.35%
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock

0 0%
  • The Sixth Sense

7 30.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Horror - Round 1 - Group 4

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Horror - Round 1 - Group 4

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This group's trailers:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going with May.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first easy vote: The Sixth Sense.

sk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Who Can Kill a Child

wish I could vote for Picnic and The Sixth Sense too

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta say I really love those old black and white trailers.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough decision to make in this bracket. There are two (maybe three) that I would vote for and they are good in drastically different ways.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Friday the 13th
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sixth Sense

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Chainsaw
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Never understood the big deal over Texas Chainsaw and Friday The 13th, I think they are awful compared to other similar films from the period.

Went with Sixth Sense.

I also love the House on Haunted Hill remake and I'm not sure why it's not more liked, it's so entertaining mostly due how great Geoffrey Rush and Famke Janssen were.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I think they are awful compared to other similar films from the period.
    What exactly do you think is a similar film from the period. I cant think of a single film from the 70's that is as raw and brutal as TCM. The formula has since been copied time and time again. TCM is a pivotal film in the Horror industry. Upon its October 1974 release, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was banned outright in several countries, and numerous theaters later stopped showing the film in response to complaints about its violence. No other "film from the period" compares. The public response is proof enough. Granted viewed from todays perspective, some of that is lost. But at the time of the film, it had no equal.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP I screwed up & voted the first thing when I got up & half asleep I need to change my vote I voted for Chainsaw but what I really wanted to vote for was Black Sunday (SORRY)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I think they are awful compared to other similar films from the period.
    What exactly do you think is a similar film from the period. I cant think of a single film from the 70's that is as raw and brutal as TCM. The formula has since been copied time and time again. TCM is a pivotal film in the Horror industry. Upon its October 1974 release, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre was banned outright in several countries, and numerous theaters later stopped showing the film in response to complaints about its violence. No other "film from the period" compares. The public response is proof enough. Granted viewed from todays perspective, some of that is lost. But at the time of the film, it had no equal.
    The public response back then was a sign of the times. Shocking at the time, yes. But does that make it a good movie outside of that? In terms of Slashers there was Halloween, Black Christmas and those are films that hold up. Texas Chainsaw is boring as hell and I rarely consider any movie to be boring, especially horrors. What's in this kitchen? OH NO I'M ON A HOOK! Then the next character is like What's in this kitchen? OH NO I'M ON A HOOK! The only part I enjoyed was the last 20 minutes at the dinner table, the rest...most of it isn't even filmed or written well. I prefer the remake because R. Lee Ermy is better than the movie he's in lol

In terms of gratuity, Evil Dead that came out six years later was far more gory and extreme and Deliverence is far more disturbing. Early Cronenberg is very gratuitous as well, stuff like Shivers, Rabid and The Brood is much more disturbing viaually than Chainsaw. There are plenty of horrors from the time in and around Chainsaw that are more disturbing and better films at that.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really really recommend Who Can Kill A Child. It seems like very few people have watched it (or I believe there would have been more votes than just one - mine)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just added it to my queue, Jean.

I had to vote for The Sixth Sense. Not because it is the best horror movie, but because it is just overall a tremendous movie. The pace and plotting are perfect. The ending is perfect. The feelings you have for the kid and the psychologist are real and strong, and the effectiveness of how those feelings change once things become known--powerful stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

bears too love The Six Sense; also because it's one of the very rare American movies where mother is actually awesome instead of being annoying like hell

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    bears too love The Six Sense; also because it's one of the very rare American movies where mother is actually awesome instead of being annoying like hell
    That's because Toni Collette is a fantastic actress, especially in About A Boy (a film I think bears would love if bears have no seen). This movie (and my favourite scene in the movie outside the birthday party) has always tripped me out because THIS ghost, especially at the time, is almost a dead ringer for my mom lol. 15 years ago these two looked like twins (the ghost is wearing my moms not impressed face):

Country
    Country Flag

is it your Mom in the photo below??? the similarity is really impressive

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tis. It's extra ironic considering she wants nothing to do with any horror movie ever. She jumped like six times watching Castaway....

Did anyone besides me wonder if Cole's dog was a ghost?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Going with May.
    I'm the only one. Has no one seen this film? Or the same director's recent The Woman?

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen both. Liked May, loved The Woman. But Who Can Kill a Child is one of the best films ever.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta say, I'm surprised Sixth Sense is getting this much love. I've always liked the film, but I thought it would suffer against some of the older horror films. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against stronger films later in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I really really recommend Who Can Kill A Child. It seems like very few people have watched it (or I believe there would have been more votes than just one - mine)
    JAPANESE PROGRAM

U.S.A. AD 1978

Just re-watched it last night & kept thinking a remake of The BIRDS with a Night of the Living Dead ending. IMHO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast