Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Chronicles of Narnia

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Chronicles of Narnia

I got an illustrated omnibus version from the library and read it in about a week. Although its clearly meant for a younger audience than, say, LotR I still find it an enjoyable series. I might try reading some of C.S. Lewis's other works in the future.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Agreed. It's another favorite series of mine. I've not read any of Lewis' other works to date.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good series. Light but enjoyable. I wish I could have read it as a child but it was good to read them as an adult, too. It made me feel a kiddo again.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

They're very enjoyable. Sometimes the style seems too... "naive"? Don't know, but definitely sounds like it is aimed towards a younger audience, unlike say Harry Potter later books which are more mature in their writing.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I liked them. I'm looking forward to the next movie too.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

What ATG said

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Which one is coming at that side of the world?

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Give me second, I'll try to find it.

Found it

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am curious. When you all read the Chronicles of Narnia do you think about the Christian allegory that Lewis intended or just take them at their face value as fantasy?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Most of them I don't even notice it, not including The Last Battle. Its kind of hard not to notice it in that one.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

It's a beautiful piece of work!

Loved every minute of it. From The Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle.

A must read, for everyone, and not just The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but the entire series.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not read any of the books, but I have saw the first movie. My girls and I went to the theaters and saw it. It was a really good movie.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    It's a beautiful piece of work!

Loved every minute of it. From The Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle.

A must read, for everyone, and not just The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but the entire series.

Totally agreed. Except I prefer it in the original release order with The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe as book 1.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Chronicles was my re-read-once-a-year series (since 2nd grade).
    Now I think it's Dark Tower.

Except I never re-read Horse and His Boy - I never really like that one.
    My favorite was Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe are tied as my favorites of the series.

I really love Magician's Nephew as well.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm about 80 pages into Magician's Nephew.

(First time reading the series)

Ah Feev, enjoy. They really are great.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I am curious. When you all read the Chronicles of Narnia do you think about the Christian allegory that Lewis intended or just take them at their face value as fantasy?
    I did in the first one and the last one, the rest, no.

I never finished The horse and his boy, the silver chair or Prince Caspian, i might read the whole chronicles after i finish cell and my re-read of DT.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

I've decided to delay my re-read of the Dark Tower series and that its long overdue for a re-read of this series. Especially with "Prince Caspian" just come out (fantastic by the way, everyone go see it). I'm going to buy an audio edition and listen through for the first time.
    Going on Amazon I've noticed there appears to be three audio editions of TCON, one an full-cast audio drama and the other two read by various actors and actresses. The full-cast audio drama is abridged, so that is out for me, also I'm reading several folks reviews saying they are unimpressed with Aslan's voice in it, so that being important, also knocks it down.
    Now the other two are regular audio books read by different folk, anyone who has listened to these have a preference? Thanks for the feedback.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard them. My only point here is that it's a shame the full cast one is abridged. It could be awesome that way if done right.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Agreed. I was excited when I saw there was such a thing, but then read several reviews, and they put out my excitement pretty fast, especially that so many were not happy with Aslan's voice. Which when I was little and reading sounded exactly like Liam Neeson's (or someone a lot like his) voice to me.
    Oh well, I'm reading a lot of great reviews for both of the regular unabridged audio editions, and so I am really looking forward to listening to them.

So I did a 180 in my opinion and went with the audio drama afterall. I read so many positive reviews of it, some disagreeing with the ones bemoaning Aslan's voice. That I decided they over-ruled the negative ones.

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Chronicles of Narnia... I love those books. They're phenomenal.
    I first read them when I was... I don't know... 11? Maybe 12. Loved them then, re-read them about a year ago and still love them.

I don't think the films really did the series justice, though.
    Also, I found it slightly irritating that they seem to have completely neglected to include The Magician's Nephew, which is the first book!

Logic, please?
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBumbler View Post
    Chronicles of Narnia... I love those books. They're phenomenal.
    I first read them when I was... I don't know... 11? Maybe 12. Loved them then, re-read them about a year ago and still love them.

I don't think the films really did the series justice, though.
    Also, I found it slightly irritating that they seem to have completely neglected to include The Magician's Nephew, which is the first book!

Logic, please?
    probabley because its the most famous, i agree that it would have made us narnians happy to do in chronological order - but unfortunatleu studios are after the quick buck and thats what they get by releasing the recognisable one first

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    its funny really, when you consider how much of a furor the Golden Compass was released to and yet it was never mentioned in any releases that i saw about how quite blatant the religion is in this.

It was my favourite series as a child and i must have read over 10 times, then i picked it up as an adult, and it was just as good, but i must say i noticed the religion element a lot more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast