Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Horror Movie Tournament - Nominations

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's one of the few I have yet to see. I'll have to check it out soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

watching it now, what heavenly delight! I can't say it's better than Visitor Q, because hardly anything is, but it's sure right up there at the top. Couldn't help making that screenshot; those who've seen the film know why it is hysterical:

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bears are making me want to rewatch it now.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

now that I have watched it, I would never call it a horror film - it's dark existential comedy, very much like Visitor Q

thank you nevertheless for having nominated it! I might have never watched it, or at least not right now, and I am so happy I did! Adored it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well it's definitely a very very dark comedy, but with quite obvious horror parts.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    105. The Mummy Trilogy

A list of greatest Horror films MUST include, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Werewolf, The Mummy and a monster or two more!! LOL
    You don't consider Jaws horror, but you do consider the Mummy trilogy horror? Are we talking about the Brendan Fraser films? I just don't get that. If that's the case, then we should consider Indiana Jones horror because it has melting skeletons and creepy voodoo dudes.
    That is not fair. The Mummy is a supernatural entity even though the films are kinda "action/adventure". "Jaws" is a fish. Wholly natural.
    It seems like you're hung up on the idea of horror films having to have a supernatural quality. I don't subscribe to that idea. I guess it's just a difference of taste and philosophy. Therefore, they probably both should be in. We will sort it out later.
    Like I said before. Agree to disagree and we can move on. I have a different opinion than others, stated my case and was fairly out voted. No issue from me. Though I reserve the right to my opinion. I am looking forward to the voting and we shall see what we see. I guess I am showing my age to a degree. In my day a "Horror" movie included a supernatural element. I don't consider say, Saw or Scream to be a "Horror flick". To me they are "slasher" films. Horrible, gross, shocking? yes, but not a "Horror Movie". I'm just stating my opinion and view. Let's go VOTE!!!
    Out of curiosity Bill, in your opinion does having supernatural elements in a movie make that film horror?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    105. The Mummy Trilogy

A list of greatest Horror films MUST include, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Werewolf, The Mummy and a monster or two more!! LOL
    You don't consider Jaws horror, but you do consider the Mummy trilogy horror? Are we talking about the Brendan Fraser films? I just don't get that. If that's the case, then we should consider Indiana Jones horror because it has melting skeletons and creepy voodoo dudes.
    That is not fair. The Mummy is a supernatural entity even though the films are kinda "action/adventure". "Jaws" is a fish. Wholly natural.
    It seems like you're hung up on the idea of horror films having to have a supernatural quality. I don't subscribe to that idea. I guess it's just a difference of taste and philosophy. Therefore, they probably both should be in. We will sort it out later.
    Like I said before. Agree to disagree and we can move on. I have a different opinion than others, stated my case and was fairly out voted. No issue from me. Though I reserve the right to my opinion. I am looking forward to the voting and we shall see what we see. I guess I am showing my age to a degree. In my day a "Horror" movie included a supernatural element. I don't consider say, Saw or Scream to be a "Horror flick". To me they are "slasher" films. Horrible, gross, shocking? yes, but not a "Horror Movie". I'm just stating my opinion and view. Let's go VOTE!!!
    Out of curiosity Bill, in your opinion does having supernatural elements in a movie make that film horror?
    Yes
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

for example, the Wizard of Oz?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    for example, the Wizard of Oz?
    Well, you kinda got me there, but yes I suppose it is a "Horror" film. When I was a kid, these things were seemingly more defined. I ain't afraid to say that my opinions may be somewhat old fashioned.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

105. The Mummy Trilogy

Yes
    So romantic comedies that involve ghosts such as Ghosts of Girlfriends Past or Just Like Heaven, etc. would be horror?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

To help put this whole debate to rest, I'm going to provide my own skeleton system for what I consider to be horrors films and their subgenres, and the subgenres subgenres (and how sometimes elements of those subgenres aren't necessarily horror depending on the film)

Not Horrors: These are movies that either contain no horror elements or contain horror elements without horror being the primary intention of the film.

Crime Thrillers:This includes films such as Silence of the Lambs and Fallen
    Supernatural Action: This includes films such as Constantine, Underworld and From Dusk Till Dawn
    Love Stories: This includes films such as Twilight, Warm Bodies and Beauty and the Beast
    Horror Comedies: This includes films such as This Is The End, Shaun of the Dead and Army of Darkness
    Psychological Thrillers: This includes films such as Identity, The Skeleton Keyand Saw
    Pyscho Films: This includes films such as Psycho, The Strangers and Funny Games
    Slasher Films: This includes such films as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas and Scream

Horrors: These are movies made specifically for the premise of horror. However, I consider dramatic horrors (such as Frailty) to be here, since Dramas are films I consider to be outside of genres, and if these falls into any of the following categories, they are horrors if any genre at all.

Ghost Stories: These are stories that revolve around the existence of ghosts and spirits, often have an investigatory aspect to them and have people battling no-see-ums; they break into the following sub-genres

- Haunted House: This includes such films as Session 9, The Orphanage and Sinister
    - Demon films: This includes such films as The Exorcist and The Evil Dead and Frailty
    - General Ghost Stories: This includes such films as The Sixth Sense, Kairo and The Ring

Monster Movies: These movies involve humans fighting any kind of supernatural, alien or monster where the main concept is often survival,secondary concepts probably involves killing the monster aside from mere survival but it' must be a side plot (this elimates something like Carpenter's Vampires) or becoming a monster; this the largest and most varied of horror films and they break up into the following subgenre
    - Vampire movies: Includes such films as Nosferatu, Salem's Lot and 30 Days of Night
    - Werewolf movies: Includes such films as Ginger Snaps, An American Werewolf in London and Wolf
    - Big monster movies: Includes such films as The Blob, The Host and Cloverfield
    ----Isolated Monster movies: Includes such films as Beneath, The Descent and Mimic
    ---- Monster Creation/Mad Scientist movies: Includes such films as The Fly, Frankenstein, Splice and Pet Semetary
    - Zombie movies: Includes such films as Dawn of the Dead, Zombi 2 and Slither
    ----Zombie Horror: Includes such films as 28 Days Later, [REC]/Quarantine and Pontypool
    - Supernatural Slasher movies: Includes such films as Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play
    - Alien movies: Includes such films as Alien, The Thing and Fire In The Sky
    - Animal movies: Includes such films as Open Water, Cujo, Jaws and Ghost In The Darkness
    ----Super Animal movies: Includes such films as Arachnaphobia, Deep Blue Sea

Brain hurts from categorizing...will add to this later.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

105. The Mummy Trilogy

Yes
    So romantic comedies that involve ghosts such as Ghosts of Girlfriends Past or Just Like Heaven, etc. would be horror?
    Tough call, as the supernatural element is not exactly central to the story, but they could be if I were held against a wall.

As I said, maybe I have to revisit my views.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    To help put this whole debate to rest, I'm going to provide my own skeleton system for what I consider to be horrors films and their subgenres, and the subgenres subgenres (and how sometimes elements of those subgenres aren't necessarily horror depending on the film)

Not Horrors: These are movies that either contain no horror elements or contain horror elements without horror being the primary intention of the film.

Crime Thrillers:This includes films such as Silence of the Lambs and Fallen
    Supernatural Action: This includes films such as Constantine, Underworld and From Dusk Till Dawn
    Love Stories: This includes films such as Twilight, Warm Bodies and Beauty and the Beast
    Horror Comedies: This includes films such as This Is The End, Shaun of the Dead and Army of Darkness
    Psychological Thrillers: This includes films such as Identity, The Skeleton Keyand Saw
    Pyscho Films: This includes films such as Psycho, The Strangers and Funny Games
    Slasher Films: This includes such films as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas and Scream

Horrors: These are movies made specifically for the premise of horror. However, I consider dramatic horrors (such as Frailty) to be here, since Dramas are films I consider to be outside of genres, and if these falls into any of the following categories, they are horrors if any genre at all.

Ghost Stories: These are stories that revolve around the existence of ghosts and spirits, often have an investigatory aspect to them and have people battling no-see-ums; they break into the following sub-genres

- Haunted House: This includes such films as Session 9, The Orphanage and Sinister
    - Demon films: This includes such films as The Exorcist and The Evil Dead and Frailty
    - General Ghost Stories: This includes such films as The Sixth Sense, Kairo and The Ring

Monster Movies: These movies involve humans fighting any kind of supernatural, alien or monster where the main concept is often survival,secondary concepts probably involves killing the monster aside from mere survival but it' must be a side plot (this elimates something like Carpenter's Vampires) or becoming a monster; this the largest and most varied of horror films and they break up into the following subgenre
    - Vampire movies: Includes such films as Nosferatu, Salem's Lot and 30 Days of Night
    - Werewolf movies: Includes such films as Ginger Snaps, An American Werewolf in London and Wolf
    - Big monster movies: Includes such films as The Blob, The Host and Cloverfield
    ----Isolated Monster movies: Includes such films as Beneath, The Descent and Mimic
    ---- Monster Creation/Mad Scientist movies: Includes such films as The Fly, Frankenstein, Splice and Pet Semetary
    - Zombie movies: Includes such films as Dawn of the Dead, Zombi 2 and Slither
    ----Zombie Horror: Includes such films as 28 Days Later, [REC]/Quarantine and Pontypool
    - Supernatural Slasher movies: Includes such films as Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Child's Play
    - Alien movies: Includes such films as Alien, The Thing and Fire In The Sky
    - Animal movies: Includes such films as Open Water, Cujo, Jaws and Ghost In The Darkness
    ----Super Animal movies: Includes such films as Arachnaphobia, Deep Blue Sea

Brain hurts from categorizing...will add to this later.

I would put the slasher category under horror. I also have a hard time categorizing The Sixth Sense as a horror film. But other than that, I agree with all of it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think you guys are the first people I've ever met that don't include slasher films as horror films. To me slasher films are a subgenre of horror. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Christmas were definitely made with the intention to scare people. As was Scream, it revitalized all those teen horror films. They might not include the supernatural element, but sometimes that's what makes them scarier. Same goes for all those home invasion type films. What genre would you guys put these into? Because I've never once heard slasher films being listed as their own genre. I'm not attacking, just really curious is all.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

How can Funny Games not be horror? It's scared the shit out of me while simultaneously blowing my mind to hell.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I think you guys are the first people I've ever met that don't include slasher films as horror films. To me slasher films are a subgenre of horror. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Christmas were definitely made with the intention to scare people. As was Scream, it revitalized all those teen horror films. They might not include the supernatural element, but sometimes that's what makes them scarier. Same goes for all those home invasion type films. What genre would you guys put these into? Because I've never once heard slasher films being listed as their own genre. I'm not attacking, just really curious is all.
    HOW ABOUT SPLATTER?
    Spoiler:

or MODERN HORROR?
    Spoiler:

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Slasher films haven't been a vehicle for horror since the early 70's, it's become nothing but a slapstick romp where we see people die brutal deaths for our entertainment...the characters have no character and are only there to die. But you will notice my slasher films do not include supernatural slashers such as Jason, Freddy or Michael Myers movies are in a separate category under horror. Slasher movies are fun movies and fun movies aren't horror. Halloween wasn't a fun movie, neither was Texas Chainsaw; but one is evil incarnate represented as a pale, emotionless face who is more spider than human while the other a fat mentally challenged inbred hick with a chainsaw and that's what sets a slasher movie apart from a supernatural slasher movie, a human being and something beyond human that is seemingly invincible and immortal. If you shoot Leatherface in the face he's dead but Michael Myers takes shot after shot, falls out of a building and like a puff of smoke, he's gone. Texas Chainsaw is maybe the one exception I'd give to this but that's mostly because it set the precedence for so many films, much like how Jaws is still a horror even though it's not that scary because people like my mom couldn't go in an ocean for years after seeing Jaws lol, that's real horror. This is just the way I categorise what is and isn't horror for my own use and my DVD's are organised as such. Other genres I really don't care about. A comedy is a comedy no matter the brand of comedy but horrors are just different to me because filmmakers set out with a specific idea in mind; a zombie story, a ghost story where as there really isn't that cookie cutter approach to comedies or actions like there are for horrors and each genre and subgenre has their own tropes and cliches unique to them.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I never anticipated this much of a discussion, but I admit I have learned a few things and may just revisit my thinking on the subject. I suppose in retrospect it was really myopic for me to think one dimensionally regarding the subject. Mattrick seems to have a pretty well thought out plan.

Matts, a little trivia do you know who's mask Mike Myers is sporting?

Edit: I just realized that by my definition, Field of Dreams is a horror movie!!! Still, "Jaws" is not horror, it's a big fish, swallow you whole, but it ain't "Horror"!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It's Shatner's puss... :0
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

It's Shatner's puss... :0
    Yep!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

bears go on catching up

watching Jacob's Ladder now. So far extremely good.

Country
    Country Flag

Which ones do you still plan on catching up with?

Country
    Country Flag

whichever are available

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I own Jacobs Ladder but barely remember it as I was on a lot of drugs at the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast