1 3.57%

0 0%

1 3.57%

0 0%
  • Never read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #1: Night Shift (1978)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #1: Night Shift (1978)

Night Shift, 1978

Please vote for Night Shift using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

are we voting collections again? I don't know even how to begin to evaluate them. First, I don't remember which story is in which collection, next, the stories are so different, good, bad, brilliant and mediocre inside the same collection...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    are we voting collections again?
    Yes of course, we're voting on each King book. Here were are asking for your overall rating for the book as a whole.

First, I don't remember which story is in which collection
    That why each book is linked to its Wikipedia article in the poll.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes... it's that I could never grasp the concept of a collection being a "book" the same way as a novel is

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This one is tough. In my mind I keep comparing this to other collections and not novels.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    This one is tough. In my mind I keep comparing this to other collections and not novels.
    It shouldn't be compared to anything else. Just your own rating for the book. Think of it as if this was a new release and you had to write a book review for a magazine. How many stars would that review be?

Country
    Country Flag

ok...

Jerusalem's Lot 5
    Graveyard Shift 2.5
    Night Surf 5
    I Am the Doorway 4.5
    The Mangler 4.5
    The Boogeyman 5
    Gray Matter 3
    Battleground 2
    Trucks 3
    Sometimes They Come Back 5
    Strawberry Spring 4
    The Ledge 3.5
    The Lawnmower Man 5
    Quitters, Inc. 4
    I Know What You Need 3.5
    Children of the Corn 5
    The Last Rung on the Ladder 2
    The Man Who Loved Flowers 2
    One for the Road 3.5
    The Woman in the Room 1

The average is around 3.5, plus half a grade just for containing some great stories

Country
    Country Flag

The Woman in the Room 1
    Ouch...

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, sorry.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

This is one of the first King books I read. I would have been in 4th or 5th grade. I remember very little. I know that I liked it enough (along with Pet Sematary) to inspire me to the become the King fanatic that I am today, but I dont remember half of the stories at all. I have been planning on reading it again for sometime, but alas, it is one of the very few that I don't have a copy of. Hopefully, I will get a copy soon.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

It started it all for me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

This is easily my favorite of his short story collections.

Jean, glad to see you gave Night Surf a 5. That's a favorite of mine
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

it's one of my favorite King stories (they are not very many)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Last Rung on the Ladder 2"

You have GOT to be kidding me. To me, this is easily one of the most perfect things ever written.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I know. I could have made it 1, but I thought of you and my other friends who for some reason value it.

I hate it when King endeavors to write "Real Literature". He immediately starts sounding phony - at least to my ears; let alone that his writings immediately become trivial, predictable and just plain boring. It's when he's doing the "genre" stuff that he transcends - and then it's real, great literature.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I know I've said this over and over elsewhere, but...Strawberry Spring.
    This will forever be my favorite short story. I was maybe 11 or 12 when I first read it, and it floored me. Given, I have read so much in my life since then that has impacted me profoundly, but Strawberry Spring was the first thing I had ever read that made me realize you could do anything with fiction. It was the first story that didn't have a "happy ending". The first story that made me put a book down, and marvel at how the author had tricked me.
    So, yeah. Strawberry Spring pretty much started my love affair with SK's books, and all books thereafter.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite King collection. Perhaps because it was the first one I read? As Jean mentioned, there are hits and misses, but the hits have stuck with me for almost 30 years; whereas the stories I read in, say, Nightmares & Dreamscapes (which I read much more recently) I can hardly remember any of them. Anyway, my breakdown is below (I don't do half-points in my personal rating system for stories, and my rating scale is 1 to 4):

Jerusalem's Lot 3
    Graveyard Shift 3
    Night Surf 2
    I Am the Doorway 2
    The Mangler 4
    The Boogeyman 4
    Gray Matter 4
    Battleground 4
    Trucks 3
    Sometimes They Come Back 2
    Strawberry Spring 2
    The Ledge 4
    The Lawnmower Man 2
    Quitters, Inc. 4
    I Know What You Need 2
    Children of the Corn 3
    The Last Rung on the Ladder 4
    The Man Who Loved Flowers 2
    One for the Road 2
    The Woman in the Room 2

I gave the collection a 4.5 in this poll. First of all, there were no "1-star" stories, which is unusual for any collection. And while the so-so stories are just that, the good and excellent stories are extremely strong, so I weighted upwards.

And I also consider The Last Rung on the Ladder a masterful work.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

My favourite short story collection, 5 from me!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Night Shift has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.928571429 or 78.57%. It received a rating of 4/3.5 with 7 votes.

+ Reply to Thread