Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Doctor Sleep movie set for 2019

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.darkhorizons.com/flanaga...eep-spin-offs/
    Beloved limited series creator Mike Flanagan (“Midnight Mass,” “The Haunting of Hill House”) has already done his share of Stephen King adaptations and will soon be delivering another with early work underway on ambitious “The Dark Tower” TV plans.

Flanagan pulled off a successful Netflix film adaptation of King’s “Gerald’s Game” in 2017, a story once deemed ‘unfilmable’. That led to his directing the high-profile film adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Shining” novel sequel “Doctor Sleep”.

The 2019 film, which acted as both a sequel to the original novel and the Kubrick film adaptation of the original, scored very positive reviews but was considered a box office disappointment – grossing just over $72 million against a $55 million production budget.

Before it opened, Warners had enough confidence in the film they hired Flanagan to script a prequel with the working title “Hallorann” which would’ve focused on the Dick Hallorann (Carl Lumbly) character. That was subsequently cancelled.

While appearing on a recent episode of the Script Apart podcast, Flanagan went into great detail about his plans, revealing that Pennywise the Clown from “IT” would’ve featured in the film’s opening and the whole thing had plenty of in-canon connection:

“I had a great thing for the Dick Hallorann movie, which I was so excited about, which is him as a young man starting in Derry and had a little overlap with IT. Because in the canon, little Richie Halloran has an encounter with Pennywise as a young man.

Then it was gonna be this whole other thing where he joins the army and ends up trying to work in law enforcement in New Orleans in a heavily segregated police department and is up against a kind of a cousin to the True Knot (the “Doctor Sleep” group who ingest the Shining’s ‘steam’). A killer who is specifically targeting people who shine, and this big battle there.

He would win the battle but lose the war and lose the people that he cared about and ended up opting for a quieter life away from all of it and taking this job making meals at this hotel in Colorado. It was gonna be awesome.

They’re gonna open with Carl Lumbly as Dick Halloran cleaning up the kitchen and getting ready for the winter because the winter caretaker and his family are due to arrive. They’re saying ‘You got to be ready to meet them and give them a tour.’

Then he goes up to Room 237 and has a weird thing with the bathtub and it flashes back to all the stuff in his life. Then at the end of the story we come back to him in the Overlook and they say the caretakers here. He’d come downstairs to meet them in the lobby and you think it’s the Torrance family, but it isn’t. It’s Delbert Grady and his twin daughters and his wife. And you realize you’re seeing the beginning of that story.

Unfortunately, the film’s underperformance meant that the spin-off was scrapped pretty quickly:

On Monday they evaluated the box office performance and by Tuesday those (spinoffs) were dead. I understood why they couldn’t proceed on those with the box office that we did. It made sense. It was heartbreaking. It made sense. But yeah, that’s all kind of gone.

That was one of two spin-offs Flanagan had talked about in the lead up to the film’s release, the other being a sequel following the young Abra Stone after her experiences. Unlike the Dick Hallorann project though, that sequel idea never got beyond the early discussion phase.

Flanagan however is not above incorporating plenty of King references and links in his “The Dark Tower” series, whilst HBO Max is working on an “IT” prequel series titled “Welcome to Derry” which shoots this year.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't realize until recently that Danny Lloyd had a cameo in the film. It would have been great if they could have worked in Shelley Duvall. I just watched the 3-hour version. There are some aspects of the movie that do work. The themes about alcoholism and all the harm it causes over generations was powerful. The best scene in the movie was Danny's speech about his father at the AA meeting. The True Knot was an interesting spin on the tale. Some of the material about Danny returning to the Overlook fell flat, though. The actor portraying Jack at the bar was strange. The scene was Danny confronting his father but Jack was stuck as Lloyd the bartender. The dialogue felt contrived like something written by a fan. Derivative. It also didn't make any sense. Many of the actors looked straight out of central casting.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I didn't realize until recently that Danny Lloyd had a cameo in the film. It would have been great if they could have worked in Shelley Duvall. I just watched the 3-hour version. There are some aspects of the movie that do work. The themes about alcoholism and all the harm it causes over generations was powerful. The best scene in the movie was Danny's speech about his father at the AA meeting. The True Knot was an interesting spin on the tale. Some of the material about Danny returning to the Overlook fell flat, though. The actor portraying Jack at the bar was strange. The scene was Danny confronting his father but Jack was stuck as Lloyd the bartender. The dialogue felt contrived like something written by a fan. Derivative. It also didn't make any sense. Many of the actors looked straight out of central casting.
    That's what modern movies are. Expecting a tour de force will only result in disappointment.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The actor portraying Jack at the bar was strange.
    I haven't actually seen the whole movie yet. Only bits and pieces. But I do know that the actor that portrayed his father was Henry Thomas. He was also the kid from E.T.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Thomas
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

was Henry Thomas. He was also the kid from E.T.

Wow, didnt know that !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The actor portraying Jack at the bar was strange.
    I haven't actually seen the whole movie yet. Only bits and pieces. But I do know that the actor that portrayed his father was Henry Thomas. He was also the kid from E.T.

That's interesting. I thought he did a decent job but the character was bizarre. Why would Jack be the bartender and feign not knowing Danny? It fell flat because the whole movie is built around Danny coming to terms with the demons of his father but when he comes face to face with his father, Jack is portrayed as feigning complete ignorance.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...I really liked the Doctor Sleep film and thought it succeeded wildly both as an adaptation of the novel and as a sequel to Kubrick's film (a nearly impossible needle to thread)...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12