Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which should be higher on the list?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

10 37.04%
  • The Lord of the Rings, by J.R. R.Tolkien

17 62.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Round 8-C: Dostoyevsky vs. J.R.R.Tolkien

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

This one shocks me a little.
    "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones."

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SirFolio16 View Post
    This one shocks me a little.
    Based on the reading preferences of most of the people on this site? surprise? (and I realise thats a *very* wide brush I just tarred everyone with...)
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are only surprised (pleasantly so!) that Dostoyevsky has come that high!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

I know that I am in the minority on this but I am not really impressed with Tolkien. I thought The Hobbit and LOTR was good but not great. IMHO large portions of the books are just filler that drag the story down. To me his books always felt like a bed time story for that kid that just wont go to sleep and needs the story to be dragged out a bit.

Please don't shoot me.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I know that I am in the minority on this but I am not really impressed with Tolkien. I thought The Hobbit and LOTR was good but not great. IMHO large portions of the books are just filler that drag the story down. To me his books always felt like a bed time story for that kid that just wont go to sleep and needs the story to be dragged out a bit.

Please don't shoot me.
    Quick! Donate some money before Bill reads this!

never mind
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL... it's my weakness...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

Please don't shoot me.
    Quick! Donate some money before Bill reads this!

never mind
    Minions!! Kill, Maim and destroy, Sirfolio!!!! After the HF!!!

Not like the LOTR!!!! OMG!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow harsh!!! At least I have a few more months to live... If it helps I do love Gandalf...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What can I say? I'm very passionate in this regard!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough... To each his own... At least I am not a Mets fan... Go Yankees!!!

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

All joking (on my side) aside I would like to note one more thing. I stand by the fact that I am not a fan of Tolkien, but I do realize what his works have meant to the genre. He helped to inspire some of my favorite authors. And as I said I do love Gandalf. And while this may seem odd I would also like to mention that I am a contributing (financially) member of the Tolkien Society. I may not love Tolkien but I do realize how important his works are.

Thank you all for your patience. I will now stop derailing this thread (sorry about that by the way).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

All joking (on my side) aside I would like to note one more thing. I stand by the fact that I am not a fan of Tolkien, but I do realize what his works have meant to the genre. He helped to inspire some of my favorite authors. And as I said I do love Gandalf. And while this may seem odd I would also like to mention that I am a contributing (financially) member of the Tolkien Society. I may not love Tolkien but I do realize how important his works are.

Thank you all for your patience. I will now stop derailing this thread (sorry about that by the way).
    Okay minions, the "contract" is off on him. He respects, Tolkien and what more can you ask? You're "Okay" in my book, Ray!! I'll even give ya a coupla "LOL" for your candor and support. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Knowing the truth behind Middle Earth and Tolkiens reasonings for writing his books makes me sad he won this....a linguist who just needed a world for the languages he created beats an artist who captures humanity better than anyone else I've read....sigh....
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

can't deny that I tend to agree with the above sentiment (and definitions)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Frodo Lives!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2