Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Top Films of All Time

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Your Top Films of All Time

So having gone through ten decades now, what better way to cap this list frenzy off than an all-time list. Hopefully, more people will post their own top lists for the individual decades and then their overall Top Ten (or however many).

To recap, here are my top picks, the top three from each decade list:

Top 30

So, with these 30 all-time favorites, I've come up with the following overall ranking:

1 Barry Lyndon (1975)
    2 Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    3 The Graduate (1967)
    4 Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    5 Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
    6 Psycho (1960)
    7 Citizen Kane (1941)
    8 Seven Samurai (1954)
    9 The Abyss (1989)
    10 Metropolis (1927)

11 12 Angry Men (1957)
    12 M (1931)
    13 The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    14 Andrei Rublev (1966)
    15 Batman (1989)
    16 The Godfather (1972)
    17 American Beauty (1999)
    18 The 400 Blows (1959)
    19 Sunrise (1927)
    20 The Departed (2006)
    21 Casablanca (1942)
    22 Alien (1979)
    23 Intolerance (1916)
    24 Apocalypto (2006)
    25 Rope (1948)
    26 No Country for Old Men (2007)
    27 Cabiria (1914)
    28 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    29 The Gold Rush (1925)
    30 The Birth of a Nation (1915)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. The Tenant.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

10. Silence of the Lambs
    9. Se7en
    8. Unbreakable
    7. The Shawshank Redemption
    6. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    5. Temple of Doom- Indy
    4. 300
    3. Terminator 2
    2. The Dark Knight
    1. Matrix
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Barry Lyndon is a great film, though surely not my favorite of all time. That's way overrating it, I fear. However, Bringing Up Baby still is possibly the greatest comedy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Barry Lyndon is a great film, though surely not my favorite of all time. That's way overrating it, I fear. However, Bringing Up Baby still is possibly the greatest comedy.
    Agreed on Baby, but I haven't seen a more beautiful and perfectly-crafted film than Barry Lyndon. Anyway, this is all subjective - it's all about what you enjoy most and what had the greatest impact or impression on you. Most probably wouldn't put The Abyss on any top-anything list, let alone of all time, but it is on mine Would love to see more lists in this and other threads on this topic!

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I started making a list and it got to 60 before I realized I need to edit it down some. I'll work on this but I think it'll be hard to have anything under a hundred titles.

Country
    Country Flag

The system I was using back then may not be the best but it worked for me. It definitely is tough coming up with the list and then paring it down, and then ranking it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have the energy to deliberate over such a list.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I posted this list in another (earlier) thread. Might be of interest here.

I've never thought to segregate my movie likes by decade. Instead, I have to separate my lists into Asian film and “everything else.” Given that, the only way for me to make this work is to let each category have 25 slots. I've bolded/colored what I guess would be my "top 15" out of the 50.

25 favorite films (Asian)

Korean
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    The Harmonium in My Memory
    The Classic
    Secret Sunshine
    Romance of Their Own
    No Blood, No Tears
    A Moment to Remember

Japanese
    Floating Weeds
    Spirited Away
    Ikiru
    The Mystery of Rampo

Battle Royale
    Red Beard
    Angel Dust
    Hara-kiri

Chinese/Hong Kong
    Sex & Zen
    Wing Chun
    Iron Monkey
    Infernal Affairs
    House of Flying Daggers
    Hero
    Hard Boiled
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Comrades, Almost a Love Story

The Bride with White Hair

25 favorite films (non-Asian)

Airplane!
    Cinema Paradiso
    Dark City
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Forrest Gump
    Goodfellas
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    The Hudsucker Proxy
    Jacob's Ladder
    Kill Bill Vol. I / Vol. 2
    Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Mamma Mia!
    Mulholland Dr.
    Pulp Fiction
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Re-Animator
    Scaramouche
    Sin City
    The Sixth Sense
    The Sting
    The Thing
    Tombstone
    True Romance
    Unforgiven
    You Can Count on Me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Mortal Kombat

3. Everything else

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah but seriously I'm down to do this list again. I'm curious to see how it compares vs the last time I did this about 5-6 years ago. I don't even remember what my No. 1 was back then.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I'm game!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good to see you in these parts again, Odetta!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I' m not very good with lists so I usually just throw something out at random times.

Biggest impact? Well, the one movie I have seen the most number of times, well over 100 viewings:
    Mel Gibson's Hamlet. Not because of the great actors (there were several) or the accuracy (they had the wrong characters saying the wrong things at the wrong times) but just the overall darkness and energy. It felt like a tragedy.

One other, with only two viewings (numbers aren't everything) was also a Shakespeare,
    Macbeth starring Sam Worthington. A modern remake set in Australia. My god it was brutal. But, it made me understand the play in a way that no other version has been able to. It was truly one of those "oh, now i get it!" moments.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    I' m not very good with lists so I usually just throw something out at random times.

Biggest impact? Well, the one movie I have seen the most number of times, well over 100 viewings:
    Mel Gibson's Hamlet. Not because of the great actors (there were several) or the accuracy (they had the wrong characters saying the wrong things at the wrong times) but just the overall darkness and energy. It felt like a tragedy.

One other, with only two viewings (numbers aren't everything) was also a Shakespeare,
    Macbeth starring Sam Worthington. A modern remake set in Australia. My god it was brutal. But, it made me understand the play in a way that no other version has been able to. It was truly one of those "oh, now i get it!" moments.
    Have you seen the 2015 Macbeth with Michael Fassbender?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to think on this one for a while before making a definitive choice. I know my top 3, after that it gets tough.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Since this thread specifically calls for Top Films of all time as opposed to my Favorite Films (which aren't always the same thing), I'm going to post my version of 'The Best of the Best'..

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Since this thread specifically calls for Top Films of all time as opposed to my Favorite Films (which aren't always the same thing), I'm going to post my version of 'The Best of the Best'..
    I've kind of been struggling with that as well. Some of my favorites would never be considered the top films.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Godfather
    2. Casablanca
    3. Apocalypse Now
    4. Seven Samurai
    5. Citizen Kane
    6. Rear Window
    7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    8. Lawrence of Arabia
    9. Alien
    10. Vertigo

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I've kind of been struggling with that as well. Some of my favorites would never be considered the top films.
    I would say, "top" (or best) according to you.

30. Notorious
    29. Tokyo Story
    28. Pickpocket
    27. Laura
    26. The Producers
    25. Bride of Frankenstein
    24. Some Like it Hot
    23. Duck Soup
    22. The Passion of Joan of Arc
    21. Lawrence of Arabia
    20. Metropolis
    19. M
    18. Rashomon
    17. Nashville
    16. Persona
    15. Kill Bill (Tarantino counts it as one movie, so do I )
    14. The Godfather (I and II)
    13. The Big Sleep
    12. Paths of Glory
    11. Bringing Up Baby
    10. Annie Hall
    09. Modern Times
    08. Psycho
    07. Sunset Boulevard
    06. 2001:A Space Odyssey
    05. Citizen Kane
    04. Casablanca
    03. The Shining
    02. The Silence of the Lambs
    01. Vertigo

Country
    Country Flag

Love to see Bringing Up Baby in your #11 spot, Tommy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast