Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1433

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Thank you Brian, Garrell, Kris and Mike. Some encouraging comments on the importance of the Signed 1st Edition over the Signed Limited / Lettered.
    However you interpret my thoughts on this, rest assured I still collect Limited books, they are of huge importance in any collecting world. Nonetheless it has to be considered that other authors who, by their age, never were afforded the opportunity of being part of a Limited edition. Tolkien for instance, as far as I know, never produced a signed edition, only the deluxe edition of Lord of the Rings in 1963, prior to his passing in the early seventies. Regardless of this he is collected on a global scale with only the normal editions as collectibles. All of these are sought after and fetch an exorbitant price especially with his signature. I only use Tolkien as an example as I collect the author and am reasonably familiar with his work.
    Moving forward to present day, we recently witnessed the frenzy to obtain Limited and Lettered copies of ‘Later’, sold at very reasonable prices, with the strong possibility of huge rewards on the secondary market. It is exactly the same book in both cases, as was Joyland, the only difference with the Lettered, a pretty mundane tray case. These will eventually move on to fetch around $4,000 each. Now moving to the 1st edition, a paperback, how much more importance would a signed one of these hold. King has actually handled the book and the signature completes and verifies that fact. Yet it would initially only command a modest price in comparison to the Lettered. We are forced to wait inordinate lengths of time, in some cases many years, with our money paid, to receive a book where King has flipped through 26/52 sheets to be inserted by the publisher. Admitted you may obtain some art unseen in other copies, though in the majority of cases I can comfortably live without these. Of recent date I purchased a copy of ‘Hope and Miracles’, a lettered edition of 52 copies selling at between $3,000 - $4,000. Never have I spent money so ill advised and so disappointed in the final outcome, a cheap, nasty edition, promising the earth pre-publication and yet delivering nothing. Grant should be ashamed. Yet to obtain a signature on one of the lesser copies, in my eyes, raises it to much higher levels.
    So my perception of the signed 1st versus the Limited/Lettered could go on, though I appreciate you have probably heard enough.
    I have to state that it is only my opinion, my own observation and I fully understand anyone thinking my ideas do not hold water. To that I can only say I own all the limiteds and all the lettereds except one. So whose the fool?
    Nevertheless long live the signed 1st.
    (It may be asked, the only lettered I do not own is ‘The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon’).

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Not a new book to Alec's collection, but one worth seeing some more photo's of. To quote Alec, "The Signed 1st Edition far outweighs anything else as a true collectible"

Beautiful condition with a nice early signature...

This is the cleanest copy of The Stand I have ever seen! Amazing. I own 5 copies and none of them come close to the condition this book is in! I purchased my first copy from David at Betts in 2011, I have since then purchased 4 more copies from stores accross the country, paying more each time I made a purchase. One bookstore owner, said he had the "best" copy he had ever seen (turns out that it is the worst copy in my collection). In my quest to upgrade my first copy from David, I managed to purchase 4 more with no improvement, just the opposite in fact.

I have since purchased a dozen more copies and NOTHING can compare to the copy shown here! AMAZING. And the slipcase is awesome too!

Congratulations!

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Very interesting comments. My most valued King books are the two that I queued up for at signings in London. As you say, you know that King actually handled the book. Sadly on both occasions he was no longer doing dedications or dating his signature.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Alec : from day 1 i have seen pictures of the book I thought it was absolutely rubbish.
    The book, the case in which it is.
    Everything is absolutely crap.

It's literally a 25 dollar books with a 60 dollar slipcase, with an original drawing by Francois Vaillancourt and signatures for 4k.
    For an edition that was called "Platinum".

I have recieved a lettered "later" today, and even looking at the shrinkwrapped book and its case it looks better than "Hope and miracles"
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

My sincere apologies in Post 1176, I referred to ‘Grant’ as the publisher of Hope and Miracles.
    It should have stated ‘Gauntlet’.
    Again my apologies for any inference to Grant Publishing.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I enjoy the limited ed because many of the just look really nice. Insomnia, even though it's not "worth" that much looks great to me. Christine, Firestarter and The Green Mile are 3 of my favorites. And of course The Stand I will continue to try and get S\L until my limit is reached, which in reality, may be closer than I think. But, I am still going to try and squeeze just a few lettered books if I can swing them. Now the signed first ed take a special place as well. I have an inscribed lib version of Night Shift. Probably not worth much because it's a library book, but the inscription is priceless. And knowing that I have what I think are rare first ed that are signed like Mr. Mercedes, The Outsider, BOBD and If it bleeds makes me smile a bit on the inside. Plus my two other signed first ed. I just wish I could find a fine DJ for my Carrie. But I have come to realize that I am the keeper of misfit books. They are not all perfect but they all deserve a home . I do intend on continuing the S\L path as long as I can but I am not going to neglect the first ed signed either. Plus I am proud to have a signed proof of the UK version FAB8. There can't be too many of those around. Anyway, thanks for your input and thoughts Alec, they really have been a help to me .

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this is the first sighting of a UK proof of the upcoming Billy Summers novel. H & S really knocking it out of the park again on their proofs (Sleeping Beauties was also a really nice proof from them).

FEP's on this look like the main design on the trade cover, so may see the cover of this as the FEP's on the trade edition? food for thought....

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the nicer looking proofs ever. Congrats
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Very nice!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's a nice one !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I think this is the first sighting of a UK proof of the upcoming Billy Summers novel. H & S really knocking it out of the park again on their proofs (Sleeping Beauties was also a really nice proof from them).

FEP's on this look like the main design on the trade cover, so may see the cover of this as the FEP's on the trade edition? food for thought....

This is the most amazing proof I have ever seen! Congratulations!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! I expect to receive one as well
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Supernice proof !!!

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Super ignorant question; are proofs different than ARC's? I don't think I've seen a numbered ARC before, is that what sets a proof apart?

Exactly as Simon has stated, this is one of the best proof copies I have seen since Sleeping Beauties. Hodder and Stoughton have really excelled themselves. Not very often I am in possession of a proof copy, so thank you to Simon as always and thank you for the many positive comments, the book certainly merits them.
    As regards the question regarding the difference between an ARC and an uncorrected proof, it’s quite simple Chase, I am not sure. There appears to be conflicting opinions.
    Perhaps someone could respond with a definitive answer.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

An ARC says Advance Review Copy on it, and a Proof says Proof on it.

All other attempts to clarify which is which are futile. The lines have been crossed/blurred so long ago that there are no solid rules of definition.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty sure they are interchangeable. I have an ARC that says "Advanced Reading Copy/Uncorrected Proof" on the top of the cover.

I do have a thought that all pre release copies are proofs but those with ARC or ARE are meant for external use while those without said designation are internal use only.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As I said, all rules are firmly etched in Jello.

This is to say a huge thank you to ‘Kris Webster’ who really went the extra mile for me today.
    Thank you Kris, absolutely spot on.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Your welcome.. that is what friends are for good buddy Cheers
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    This is to say a huge thank you to ‘Kris Webster’ who really went the extra mile for me today.
    Thank you Kris, absolutely spot on.

Thank You Kris and Alec!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Suspense is killing me
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Suspense is killing me
    You and me both.

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Suspense is killing me
    You and me both.

Nothing to see here. Hint: It may involve Stephen King, body parts and a new novel. OR NOT. Fiction is easy to write.

Lets just say you could not find two nicer gentlemen in the collecting world. Not counting Randall Flagg ,Ari, Matt, Explorer, Tippy, Randall Flagg, UGH. Okay everybody on this site.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

-----Sigh.

Doesn't get mentioned as a nicer gentleman.

Back to the drawing board.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast