Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Hybrid View

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Collection Anonymous

I am presenting this collection on behalf of a UK collector who wishes to remain anonymous. He is not a member of this site although does visit on occasion. He may also have bought specific items from some of you in the past, so if you recognise anything, I would appreciate if you would keep his details private.

I had great pleasure in meeting him after agreeing the purchase of a set of books from me. We discussed the books at length and when I discovered he was not too far from my own location offered to deliver them personally rather than risk any damage in the post. He was delighted and offered to show me his library...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

... This caught my attention. Anyone with a library rather than a 'bookcase' has got to have some interesting items right? This turned out to be the understatement of the year.
    I knew this was going to be something special on arrival at the house. I wont give details on location, but if I tell you the gardens are often open to the public, you may get some sense of the scale....

after pleasantries and a cup of tea, the transaction was completed and I was shown to the Library. I was then shown limited after limited after limited. He has only been collecting for 2 years but he has amassed an amazing set of books in such a short period of time. I could go on but he very generously allowed me to take some photos and was happy for me to show them here. I will post these shortly and give some commentary on what was shown to me.

His collection has come from a number of sources but one in particular he wanted to mention and publicly thank for the level of service he has received. Emmanuel Manetakis, proprietor of VeryFineBooks.com has been instrumental in helping him build this collection, often searching for and pre-checking various volumes and editions before they are offered for sale to him. As you will see in the following photos, this collector is extremely fastidious with regard to condition of the books he buys. Only the cleanest fine copies make it into his collection. Emmanuel has consistently provided him with quality items and (for him at least) at a price commensurate with the service he requires.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

So onto the pictures. This will bear repeating (and I will as I go along) but practically everything you see is signed. This has to be one of the most extensive collections of Stephen King signatures out there.

lets start with some proofs and arcs and the first of many DT books.

Of note is the DT VII arc - I was informed (i'm not a collector of arcs/proofs, so can't comment) that this is pretty difficult to find. I *think* these are all signed as well, I will need to confirm on these volumes.

The DT's are all signed numbered (i didn't get the #'s - I will ask him if he is willing to divulge that for the records). Note 2 full sets I-VII, both mint. He also has spare copies of the 1st/1st cover as well

Edit: LSOE's and WTTKH are on other shelves - I do not know if the numbers match.

Traveler autopsyroom4 is on a distinguished road

Amazing!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A few signed limited's:

Again even the gift SOD's and IT are flatsigned. The small book sticking out is the signed limited Dark Man

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

quick flip to the other side of the room (2 of the walls are fully shelved floor to ceiling)

More Trades, all mint, all signed... The book laying down bottom right is a tray cased copy of the trade edition of IT. This looks like it has just been printed (and of course its flatsigned). Condition has to be seen to be believed.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot the Coffin case version of The Stand right next to it (apologies for the quality of the picture - I was using my iPhone and the room was kept intentionally low lit) This is a valuable and well looked after item so many of you will have seen it in Mint/Fine condition, but this was the first time I had actually seen one 'for real'. I think I mentioned being added to his will at this point.... (purely too look after this book you understand....)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Next up are some Trade editions. Again everything (bar one book - The Tommy Knockers, which I am told has a replacement signed copy on its way) is flat signed, many with dedications.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Next up are some Trade editions. Again everything (bar one book - The Tommy Knockers, which I am told has a replacement signed copy on its way) is flat signed, many with dedications.
    Hey, he has an extra "Green Mile"!! We need one for the HF!!! LOL LOL LOL

Hmmm, let's see, Kieth lives in Jamaica, Ron Wood on L.I., Paul owns an island.... Who could it be now??????

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

More signed limiteds - notably Cujo, Christine, a full set of the same numbered Colorado Kid (I think it is #14) and Danse Macarbre. A signed limited of Blockade Billy I have never seen before. Again what is notable is the exceptional condition of these books.

Oh and I'm sure that case holds some interest for the George R R Martin collectors amongst you

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another book case, another set of limiteds - note Six Stories and Dolans Cadillac and ANOTHER Gunslinger 1st/1st (all flat signed)
    EDIT: here are the remaining DT books - possibly matching #'s - need to confirm

Oh and result! He has the 2nd print of the Eastern Press Dead Zone! - the only time I had something better! (but of course his is signed )

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

And finally, the money shot (literally). These are what he considers to be the best of the best. All of these are in bespoke leather tray cases and all are absolutely flawless.

At this point I dared not breath, let alone touch them...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A finer copy of Carrie you will not see.

Yes of course it is signed (dedicated actually... by Steve King no less)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's all the photos I have, but needless to say I was shown much more. The sharp eyed amongst you will notice the considerable collections of other authors as well as King, all in similar condition. I was shown an extensive collection of books by Hakuri Murakimi (whom I confess was unknown to me) in particular a lettered edition of Sleep which was just beautiful.

For those of you with large chequebooks that are considering making offers, I'm afraid to say, nothing is for sale. He is not interested in selling for profit and the quality of books he has means there is no need for 'upgrades'. He occasionally does give books as gifts, which leads me to the best part of the day. "

I was just about to leave when he said "do you have a copy of the UK edition of Thinner?"
    I said "yes" (as I do)
    "The one with the band?"
    "er, no, that's a bit rare".
    "hang on"

2 mins later he returns and hands me a mint copy of the book - "this is for you, thanks for the appreciation"

<gobsmacked>

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's all the photos I have, but needless to say I was shown much more. The sharp eyed amongst you will notice the considerable collections of other authors as well as King, all in similar condition. I was shown an extensive collection of books by Hakuri Murakimi (whom I confess was unknown to me) in particular a lettered edition of Sleep which was just beautiful.

For those of you with large chequebooks that are considering making offers, I'm afraid to say, nothing is for sale. He is not interested in selling for profit and the quality of books he has means there is no need for 'upgrades'. He occasionally does give books as gifts, which leads me to the best part of the day. "

I was just about to leave when he said "do you have a copy of the UK edition of Thinner?"
    I said "yes" (as I do)
    "The one with the band?"
    "er, no, that's a bit rare".
    "hang on"

2 mins later he returns and hands me a mint copy of the book - "this is for you, thanks for the appreciation"

<gobsmacked>
    I think I have that!!!

Yes????
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I think I have that!!!

Yes????
    That's the one! I will post pictures of it in my own thread soon.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I think I have that!!!

Yes????
    That's the one! I will post pictures of it in my own thread soon.
    Cool beans!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's all for now, I'll keep in touch and hopefully add to this thread as he makes new acquisitions. Anonymous is a great guy, a nicer more generous person would be hard to find. What's surprising is the small amount of contact with other collectors he has had. He really had no idea of how his collection matched up to others, hopefully he will see some good feedback on this.

Oh and although he wishes to remain anonymous here, he asked me to pass on an open invite to see his collection in person and to chat over a cup of tea. Please PM me if you are in the UK Midlands area.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

whats this? looks like a rather nice copy of some book called IT

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Anonymous has a very nice collection.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, he/she has to "come out"!!! We promise not to deluge with emails and posts!!! This is an awesome, upon awesome collection!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

very nice collection indeed

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool.... what a shock for you to see this in person!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    It was definitely more Pleasure than Shock! (although WOW was my first reaction! )

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    It was definitely more Pleasure than Shock! (although WOW was my first reaction! )
    I can still remember the first time I seen a DT set (not matching numbers but s/l'd) and was blown away... I just thought it was so cool to see and it became my "holy grail" if I could ever get one. This chap has 2 sets!!! I really wonder if they are matching #'s????? hmmmmmm
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool. I wonder if his DT and ASOIAF sets are all matching? I'm always looking for my missing books LOL
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast