Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Whose responsibility was Susan's death?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland's

5 3.97%
  • The Mejis folks' (who let it happen)

17 13.49%
  • Cordelia's and Rhea's

54 42.86%
  • Everyone's from above

15 11.90%
  • Someone else's - /let us know please/

7 5.56%
  • It was ka

27 21.43%
  • Noone's

1 0.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Whose responsibility was...

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ::crawls into his den to brace himself for a reread::
    LMAO
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Cordelia's and Rhea's and Ka's. It all had to happen to start off the quest to the tower.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    It all had to happen to start off the quest to the tower.
    EXCELLENT point

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to make my position clear, I really don't blame anyone but Susan for getting caught--she should have been a little more careful.

It was obvious the place was way too dangerous at that point and she really should have been carrying a gun I believe.

However, to the main question. Roland blamed himself for his lack of action where she was concerned, forever. More than forever--for all the universes in all times forever.

To me, if he was or not is moot because the man blamed himself. It colored his actions from that point on. It was his burden to carry and I agree with him that he should have felt guilty as hell about the way it turned out.

Same with dropping Jake.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just to make my position clear, I really don't blame anyone but Susan for getting caught--she should have been a little more careful.

It was obvious the place was way too dangerous at that point and she really should have been carrying a gun I believe.

However, to the main question. Roland blamed himself for his lack of action where she was concerned, forever. More than forever--for all the universes in all times forever.

To me, if he was or not is moot because the man blamed himself. It colored his actions from that point on. It was his burden to carry and I agree with him that he should have felt guilty as hell about the way it turned out.

Same with dropping Jake.
    Again, I agree with you Matt, but the question was who do we blame. I doubt anyone disagrees that Roland blames himself [if they don't think so, they are overdue for a re-read]. Like I said earlier though, do we not all blame ourselves at some point for something others would not? Isn't that one of the reasons we have psychologists in our world?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, but I always considered them snake oil salesmen. Perception is reality and if Roland blamed himself, then it was his fault.

I know that seems strange but if we are discussing the character, he bore the blame, the blame was his. And I agree with him--he could have mixed Susan with the affiliation and his duties as a gunslinger, but never with the Tower. Very clear choice.

That choice killed Susan, the blame is his for that choice.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Like I said earlier though, do we not all blame ourselves at some point for something others would not? Isn't that one of the reasons we have psychologists in our world?
    The other reason being that women finally realised if they wanted men to listen when they were talking, they'd have to pay them

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry Lisa, did you say something?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Yep, but I always considered them snake oil salesmen. Perception is reality and if Roland blamed himself, then it was his fault.

I know that seems strange but if we are discussing the character, he bore the blame, the blame was his. And I agree with him--he could have mixed Susan with the affiliation and his duties as a gunslinger, but never with the Tower. Very clear choice.

Well put Matt. Eddie didn't understand that and its almost like King put that scene in there so we could hear Susannah say that is exactly Roland's perception. At the end of Wizard and Glass we are primarily left with the question of whether or not Roland can be redeemed with his new Ka-Tet. He sacrificed Susan and became a matricide in the cause of the Tower. Both of these revelations are contained in Wizard and Glass for the first time.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I chopse option four, but really, Ka was at work as well, here.

Look; just because Ka meant it to be so does not mean that there weren't certain people who helped Ka's cause. The obvious people who arranged and allowed it to happen, of course, but I also feel it was partially Roland's fault. He chose to leave her, right? He had already begun to obsess. This is why I think Ka allowed his love to leave his life-- Roland didn't deserve to keep her, because he didn't choose her to begin with. One could argue with me that it was still too early to blame Roland, but I strill feel the way that I do about it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post
    I chopse option four, but really, Ka was at work as well, here.

Look; just because Ka meant it to be so does not mean that there weren't certain people who helped Ka's cause. The obvious people who arranged and allowed it to happen, of course, but I also feel it was partially Roland's fault. He chose to leave her, right? He had already begun to obsess. This is why I think Ka allowed his love to leave his life-- Roland didn't deserve to keep her, because he didn't choose her to begin with. One could argue with me that it was still too early to blame Roland, but I strill feel the way that I do about it.
    *bites tongue until he completes the re-read so as not to prove his ingorance.*

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The choice that made Susannah a gunslinger.

Traveler DinoMay is on a distinguished road DinoMay's Avatar

Has anyone suggested that Susan's death was her own fault? After all, the tipping point was her falling in love with Roland. She knew how dangerous it was for both of them and Roland even somewhat warned her, but she encouraged him to continue.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure Dino, its clear that she shares much of the responsibility for her position. I just really think that since Roland obviously blamed himself, there is no reason to consider who was truly to blame in the context of Roland's frame of mind.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure Dino, its clear that she shares much of the responsibility for her position. I just really think that since Roland obviously blamed himself, there is no reason to consider who was truly to blame in the context of Roland's frame of mind.
    Matt, I blame myself for everything all the time I can only hope it doesn't mean that I really have responsibility for all those things... I feel that but deep inside I hope that we blame ourselves much more often when we should.
    *keeps hoping*

Roland would have understood.

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    In my estimation, the blame should be assigned as follows...

1. Cordelia [she made the ulitmate decision to follow Rhea and castigate Susan]

2. Rhea [for obvious reasons]

3. The entire population of Hambry except Sheemie for participating in such a barbaric ritual

4. Ka, for placing Susan in Roland's path

By the way, yet another great question Letti.
    well that right there strikes the hammer on the nail for my opion

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

shit happens on the way to the tower. bad shit. doesn't everyone share a bit of the blame on a quest?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No...all the blame is mine.

Actually, I think I gotta' agree with that Sarah.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

It was Stephen Kings!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

O Discordia!

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    It was Stephen Kings!!
    but but how could you say something like that? just because he wrote doesnt me crap i mean what if he went through a door and saw it happen just like cort got some of his riddels?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Malficeus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    It was Stephen Kings!!
    but but how could you say something like that? just because he wrote doesnt me crap i mean what if he went through a door and saw it happen just like cort got some of his riddels?
    I think she was kidding.

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Wow! I was kidding, I didnt think anyone would misunderstand that.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

lol i was 2 just felt like being smart

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I take full responsibility for Susan's death. I only wish I could have choked her a little with my bare hands before I burned her.

I voted for Cordelia and Rhea though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast