Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Vote all your favorites!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Verne

10 43.48%
  • The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton

9 39.13%
  • Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, by Mary Shelley

11 47.83%
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle

10 43.48%
  • Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo

7 30.43%
  • A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin

4 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Round 5: Positions 31 to 36

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Round 5: Positions 31 to 36

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have voted everything except ASoIaF

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Les Miserables --the unabridged version-- was hard work. There were blocks of pages just describing the history of places and people the main characters come across. The main narrative was amazing, and the characters themselves were incredibly fleshed out. When I got done with the book, I felt like I had accomplished something.

Country
    Country Flag

that sounds very true to bears! Luckily, I read it first when I was very young (about 9, maybe 10 years old), and at that time one takes literature, especially style, for granted; if the first time had been later, I don't know if I could have made it through this whale. The same with Notre-Dame de Paris. And when I re-read them, it was in French, and again, the fascination of reading in a foreign language I didn't know 100% well at that time overweighed the horrible effort the reading took at places

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just Andromeda and Les Mis for me.

Country
    Country Flag

special thanks for Andromeda!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Verne captured my imagination when I was a young boy...he has yet to return it.

Country
    Country Flag

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

doh! missed the fact I could vote for more than one
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I see that you have voted for Frankenstein

I can add your other votes manually. I don't know how it will appear in this type of poll, but I can at least try if you tell me what they are

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jean.

All but ASoIaF and Les Mis. I haven't read the first (yet) and much as I love the musical, I found Les Miserables very heavy going. The overall story is great but the books prose is a little too much 'picture painting' for my tastes.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

I have added your votes, but can't make your name appear under them (except Frankenstein); we'll just have to remember that you voted for those.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

ASOIAF is treated as one entry?
    In Digitized Remorse

Country
    Country Flag

yes!! the long discussion is in this thread

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have read none of these.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I am happy to see Crichton doing so well here!

Country
    Country Flag

20 people have voted

I am thinking of closing this poll tomorrow, if there are no objections

Country
    Country Flag

grrr the situation has just got worse

we don't really want a 3-option tiebreaker

I'll leave the post for a few hours, hoping someone else will vote and make it easier

Country
    Country Flag

ok, the poll is closed with one tiebreaker!

+ Reply to Thread