Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Scathing letter on King's message board

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The subsequent responses were rarely intelligent (Other than Brice's) and mostly smileys.)
    Thank you Jerome!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I think if (s)he is that desperate to feel closer to SK they should move next door to him and hope that he doesn't pull a PPO out on them.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL.

He probably has an electrified moat by this point.

You'd need to go all Dirty Dozen on his ass to get close to his mansion, probably.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the whole obligation thing - rofl

So what, we're the smelly, dying grandmother and SK is the "cant be fucked" grandson who _HAS_ to go visit "in case she dies".

Part of me kinda shies away at having any direct contact with any author who's books I love - at the moment, they have faces but are essentially these unknown creators and this allows me to absorb what they have to write about from a completely objective viewpoint. I appreciate the arms-length contact with fans.

I think the Luddite comment is a fair enough observation - his fan interaction in other ways (letters / junkets & signings) is pretty standard, its the message board interaction that this is all about. He probably just doesnt use the net or is interested in using a message board. PC's and the internet hardly feature in any of his work and generationally he didn't grow up with them.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I must admit, I don't entirely agree with what I wrote Theres an element of what I'm actually trying to convey in there, I just can't express it correctly.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I understand what you mean Lisa and I think I kind of agree.

My only point is that interaction with the fans is never really about the fans, its about exposure.

King is already totally exposed so I'm not sure it would make sense to him. I hate to break it down to dollars and cents but in my experience, that's what most things are really about.

I also agree with Zone when he said King just may not be a "net guy". I know it took him forever to switch to a word processor and I also know his generation (same as my parents) are not real great on technology.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree on that (the net/generation thing) infact, I said it myself a page or two back My dad hasn't got the hang of it (even though he thinks he has ), nor the interest in it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just turned 63 and am VERY comfortable with the net. Please don't generalize!

I do forget things sometimes, though. They say the memory is the second thing to go.

I don't remember what the first is!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

Default As a fan

I'd personally appreciate it if Steve was left with as much free time to write as possible.
    I don't care if I ever meet him. I'd like to think that by enjoying the stories that he gives us, I am getting to know the side of him that really matters anyway.

As for his technological aptitude, he seems to be an early adopter to me...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9CMhMWl_E"]King on You Tube[/ame]
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I just turned 63
    Dad?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I just turned 63 and am VERY comfortable with the net. Please don't generalize!

I do forget things sometimes, though. They say the memory is the second thing to go.

I don't remember what the first is!

John
    Sorry John, I do hate to generalize which is why I used the word "tend". I really hope you are not an anomaly.

Country
    Country Flag

Armand: Oh yeah, thats right, he;s mentioned pop internet stuff in his column before.

Does anyone know if he's ever done one of those "And Stephen King will be available on the 60 minutes website to field any questions viewers may have" things?

Or he could consider a message board just a discussion point, not 'letters' or communications directed at him. Send the guy's office an e-mail instead, perhaps?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ms. Mod always replies to people who want to contact him with...

"send me a PM and I'll get you the office address"

I assume she would read and forward any correspondence she felt was worthy right over to him.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Country
    Country Flag

So if I send a picture of my wang, is that worthy of a forwarding?

Country
    Country Flag

I think you already know the answer to that, Jorge.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it'd be forwarded as if it were a really good joke.

Which it is, by the way. :'(

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Jeeze--you are going to try that again Mike?

In all seriousness, I bet she sees a lot of that kind of stuff.

I wonder what happened to the bookmark I sent.

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't you get a Merry Wangmas card from Jorge, Matt?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    King wrote about playing with his "Wang" quite some time ago.
    King was an early adopter of certain technologies.
    He does however eschew the cell phone.

Country
    Country Flag

get it away!

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

it's actually kind of cute.
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

If he doesn't expect a personal response- which he claims he doesn't- what is this fool so pissed off about? The letter is very unclear on that point, actually; exactly what is it about the website that's so offensive? Clearly, this is a person who's too busy projecting his own mental malfunctions upon others to make accurate judgements.
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

Country
    Country Flag

Mara: exactly Maybe she was after a free fluffy toy or a fucking hug or something.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    What a selfish irrational idiot.

If King responded to every fan who had something to say about his books then he would never have the time to write another book again. *whispers* he kind of has like millions of readers, i think

So, as logic dictates, you have people to handle your fanmail and they would probably select a certain amount to bring to your attention for whatever reason. And logic also dictates that the only definitive decision a writer of King's popularity can come to when considering interaction with his fanbase is having as little or no interaction as possible, because where would you draw the line?

And there's probably a whole stack of creative process reasons as to why you wouldnt interact with your online fanbase. Internet communities of fans are direct, present and immediate - it would distract or contaminate your thought processes when it comes to your work.

Writers stay writing and fans stay fanning, and leave it in peace.
    Very Well said, ZoNeseek,I don't feel Stephen King owes his fans anything. I would much rather him be writing his books that trying to answer his fans. It would be nice for him to leave one post for everyone on the forums, addressesd to all his fans, not just one fan, and I believe he does.

Traveler Shiv is on a distinguished road Shiv's Avatar

I watched a television show where the commentator said that people (fans) shell out the money to pay for the opportunity to see or own something that celebrities are involved in. That in turn leads the people (fans) to believe that the celebrities OWE them back since they go out of their way to line a celebrities pockets. Silly people.

Celebrities, writers, actors, musicians, don't owe anyone anything. It's all business. King (other celebrities) supplies us with a product. If we want it we purchase said product. End deal. Enjoy product and move on. Only psychos and attention whores would expect further or personal interaction.

Mr. King, be careful. That letter writer sounds like Misery just waiting to happen.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast